pre-emptive Droid X post

JeTDoG

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be getting my Droid X as of 10/25 (thank goddess for Verizon finally getting out of backorder status!), and have been looking through the screen mod and essential app threads on this and other sites.

I've put together a list of those apps that I'm figuring on installing when I first get the phone, and wanted to get some feedback from the community on any known issues, gotchas, etc... Specifically, I'm looking at:
  • LauncherPro Plus
  • Beautiful Widgets
  • Desktop Visualizer
  • SwitchPro or another similar toggle app
  • AppBrain
  • Barcode Scanner
  • Dropbox
  • AudioManager Pro
  • WidgetLocker Lockscreen
  • SportsTap or ESPN ScoreCenter
  • ^3 (Cubed) audio player
  • Steamy Window
  • Instant Buttons
  • Alchemy
  • some app for torch/flashlight, especially one with strobe/Morse code capability
  • looking for game recommendations (definitely getting Angry Birds, and looking for a zombie tower-defense entry and puzzle-type games)
Also, for anyone who's done the Froyo upgrade, any issues you've experienced that would contraindicate any of these apps? I suspect a "factory-fresh" Froyo will fare better than a field upgrade, but you never know.

I'm certainly open to suggestions of alternatives for any of the above, especially if the alternatives offer comparable functionality at a lower cost.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be getting my Droid X as of 10/25 (thank goddess for Verizon finally getting out of backorder status!), and have been looking through the screen mod and essential app threads on this and other sites.

I've put together a list of those apps that I'm figuring on installing when I first get the phone, and wanted to get some feedback from the community on any known issues, gotchas, etc... Specifically, I'm looking at:
  • LauncherPro Plus
  • Beautiful Widgets
  • Desktop Visualizer
  • SwitchPro or another similar toggle app
  • AppBrain
  • Barcode Scanner
  • Dropbox
  • AudioManager Pro
  • WidgetLocker Lockscreen
  • SportsTap or ESPN ScoreCenter
  • ^3 (Cubed) audio player
  • Steamy Window
  • Instant Buttons
  • Alchemy
  • some app for torch/flashlight, especially one with strobe/Morse code capability
  • looking for game recommendations (definitely getting Angry Birds, and looking for a zombie tower-defense entry and puzzle-type games)
Also, for anyone who's done the Froyo upgrade, any issues you've experienced that would contraindicate any of these apps? I suspect a "factory-fresh" Froyo will fare better than a field upgrade, but you never know.

I'm certainly open to suggestions of alternatives for any of the above, especially if the alternatives offer comparable functionality at a lower cost.

Those look fine to me. I would add to your list....

Pandora
KeepScreen

DroidLight works good for me.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Robo Defense is an awesome game.
Where's My Droid
TuneIn Radio
Vignette
MotoTorch LED (for torch/flashlight function)

If you decide to root...
Root Explorer
Barnacle WiFi Tether
Drocap2

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If this is your first android phone, I highly recommend going to youtube and watching a bunch of android videos. They'll get you up and running much faster.

As far as apps go, it's all dictated by your interest. The two "must have's" on any droid phone for me are LauncherPro Plus and Beautiful Widgets. GPSTest is pretty cool. It gives you a lot of useful info while driving, like elevation, speed and a compass. There is also a stand alone compass called Compass (clever huh?) by Catch.com. The reason I like this particular one is because it has a feature called Add Place that records either the address or the GPS coordinates of any location you are presently in and stores it. Makes it so simple to then use Google Maps to get back to that place without having to use search or type anything.

andro1d

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
LOL @ this...

i still find it funny that people were actually pulling this tab completely off...:p

no offense to anyone who did...just funny

It's not nice to pick on the mentally challenged. I remember a time when it was easier to spot them. Now the iPhone looks a lot like many other phones. :confused:

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
TeslaLED has a variety of widget toggles and does morse code.
Also, SwitchPro now supports toggling the LED on the X.

Oh yeah, almost forgot:
PoliceLight
FartDroid

[tapatalk - droidx]

JeTDoG

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
thanks for all the great posts, folks! I got my X yesterday, and I am LOVING it! already installed a few apps (paid for LP+), but it will be a while before I have this bad boy set up just the way I want... open is good!