Problems with Google Calendar ... "Fake Event to Work Around Calendar Issue"

kfitzpatrick3

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone see this event in the Google calendar? Just saw it this morning on my Droid X and when I logged into the calendar on my computer it was gone but so were a lot of my other events starting in January 2011. I thought maybe someone hacked my calendar. I have had ongoing problems with my Google calendar ... keeps duplicating my events. I'm afraid to sync my calendar with my Outlook (which I do regularly) ... afraid it will wipe out my Outlook calendar. Anyone else have this issue?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have been using google calender with my outlook for over a year and the problems I have had were caused by me. I would try clearing the cache and data from you google calender in you X first and see if that make a difference.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I use Jorte and have it sync with Google calendar on both mine and my wife's phone. I have never had a problem like that. I agee with mclarryjr..clearing the cache and data on the x should get rid of that especially after it syncs back up with the calendar on your computer.

kfitzpatrick3

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
It's the Google calendar from the website that is missing events that were there yesterday ... not my phone. I'm afraid to allow it to resync ... it might delete events from my phone calendar.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It's possible that your problems may be coming from keeping both an Outlook and a Google/gmail calendar. You could always ditch Outlook for a week or two and live on nothing but your X and the gmail calendar. I remember when I finally decided to never open Outlook again and keep all contacts and calendar events only in my gmail account. It was the second best tech decision I've made (the best was dropping bb for android). As a long time Outlook user, I know it sounds impossible to leave, but it's so nice to never have to cable up my phone anymore, as well as being able to to work on calendar/email/contacts from any pc in the world.

kfitzpatrick3

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice but it does sound impossible to leave Outlook. I have been using Google Calendar Sync to add items to my OUtlook whenever I changed/added an event to my phone OR Google calendar on line. It was working perfectly for so long. My phone calendar is as it should be up through 2011. When I checked my online Google calendar, there are no events starting January 2011. And that strange event I noticed in my calendar this morning that I did not add (Fake Event to Work Around Calendar Issue) is very weird. Do you think Google is doing something with their online calendar?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just checked mine online calendar and I've got events going out through 2012. I used Outlook since it first came out and was terrified to leave it, but I'm extremely happy that I finally did. Just try not starting it up (at all, for anything) for 1 week. Before you do that, print monthly calendars from it for the next 24 months and if you make a really important appointment during your week of not using Outlook, jot it down on your printed versions as a back up. See how everything goes.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Skip Outlook and work straight with Gmail/calendar. It's amazingly simple once you set it up, syncs instantly from either the computer or the X. Gmail will fetch your pop3 email and send it to your X as well. I finally simplified to this level, eliminating all the "middlemen" and am 100 percent satisfied with the results. No problems at all!

PS - I started with Outlook as my calendar, as you have. Finally realized I was having to monitor two calendars, so tried just the Gmail calendar. Haven't gone back.

gweedoh

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just had this problem this morning.
The events from my own google calendar were fine but I had loaded 3 other calendars (one was my wife's, the other two were public calendars) and all of the events from these three calendars were displaying the "Fake Event to Work Around Calendar Issue". When I opened the events, the details were correct, save for the time (they all were 8am-8am).

I fixed it by logging in to my gmail account from a browser, unsubscribing from the calendars, refreshing the calendar on my Evo, resubscribing to the calendars through the browser and then refreshing and re-enabling the calendars on my Evo.

Took about 2 minutes.

Tip: Copy the XML calendar addresses to notepad or something to make it easier to re-subscribe to them.