Ringtones

canuckwest

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I am new to the Droid X and am having an awful time trying to figure out how to download ringtones. I have some MP3s on my pc and would like to use them. Can someone please give me a hand?

Thanks!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
They will work fine, as long as you put them in a folder named Ringtones on your sd card. Notifications go in a folder named Notifications. I have both folders in a Media folder on my sd card.

Drag your notification shade down from the top of your screen after plugging your phone into the computer usb port. Select usb mode to make your phone show up as a usb flash drive on your computer, drag and drop the files to your sd card.

Cyber Phunk

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
As xliderider mentioned, they need to go in a special directory on the SD card.

If there isn't one already, create a "media" directory in the root of the SD card, a sub directory "audio" and then add sub directories "ringtones" notifications" and "alarms" as needed.

Should look like this:

/media
../audio
..../ringtones
..../notifications
..../alarms

Then place any mp3 or ogg files you want in those directories. It might require a reboot, but you should be able to chose any of said files as your ringtone notification or alarm sound via the built in menus.

Reactions: Unclecheese

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
All good advice. You can do just about anything to files on your sd card (move, drag/drop, rename, create folders, etc) just by using the USB connection, your X, and your computer.

DO NOT install or use the Moto program that shows up every time you plug in your X to your computer in USB Mode. Just hit cancel for any windows that appear. This program isn't needed and will only complicate everything. Totally unnecessary.

canuckwest

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all

I am ashamed to say that I don't quite understand all the advice given. Up until 2 days ago I was using a blackberry, so terms such as "rooting", etc. make no sense to me. I willl sit down when I am awake tomorrow and see if I can follow the directions given.

L

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I am ashamed to say that I don't quite understand all the advice given. Up until 2 days ago I was using a blackberry, so terms such as "rooting", etc. make no sense to me. I willl sit down when I am awake tomorrow and see if I can follow the directions given.

L

This has nothing to do with rooting your device, the advice was to create the Media folder in the root directory of your sd card. In other words, the Media folder isn't in any other folder.

canuckwest

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh, sorry! I was just throwing out an unfamiliar term there. I wasn't saying that you'd spoken of rooting.

I will sit down and figure this out after work today.

Thanks to all.