Is Rooting right for me?

cmyoch

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello,
I'm 4 months into my Droid X and I'm absolutely loving the phone. I'm running the unofficial version of Gingerbread which I'm pleased with although it is buggy at times. I came from Blackberry which I was running a custom hybird OS and had it tricked out as far as it would go. My question is this: I'm wanting to tether my phone without paying for the package plus I want to remove the Verizon apps that I don't need to free up space for apps that I will need. I understand rooting is the way to go to get the job done. I'm currently in the process of researching what rooting is all about and I'm wondering if a guy like me who has limited hacking experience should even be bothering with rooting? Am I at a serious risk of bricking my phone?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
This has been discussed a great deal recently. Verizon is now starting to track people who are tethering without paying. Do so at your own risk.

UltraDroid

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the above posters are absolutely right - if you're looking to root so you can get free wifi tethering, you're dealing with a flawed basic premise. Verizon has got a bug up their butt about people using software to get free wifi tethering, and from posts I've seen on other forums, Verizon is getting very aggressive about tracking those people and putting a stop to it. So, if FREE tethering is the reason you want to root, forget it.

There are many valid reasons to root an android phone however, and I'm not saying you shouldn't root your phone. You can actually root your phone and then afterwards change your plan with Verizon to have both root and PAID wifi tethering, which is what I would do in your case.

Good luck! :)

-Mike

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana