[OFFICIAL] Droid X Gingerbread Impressions and Issues

onenonlynony

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted but still received the update to my phone. I haven't flashed any ROMs or anything to my phone either. I still run the official build from Verizon. Yes I tried to install it OTA but it gets 1/4 through then quits. Is that because I'm rooted or because there's an issue with the OTA?

phasa

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Update: I backed up my data and did a factory reset on the phone, and all issues seem to be fixed. Now that it actually works, I like GB for the most part.

jjdalton

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
My experience with the new OTA update has been mediocre. I originally had a custom APEX rom that i was running, but once I went to this new update my phone is lagging and moves much slower than it did before. I do like the new features of GB i just wish my phone wasn't slow.

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Big issue for me.... The bottom hard buttons are now controlled by the light sensor (which is great i think) The problem is when you have the phone on the Multimedia station (bedside at night) the hard buttons stay on and are BRIGHT AS HELL! Anyone else find this to happen to them? It makes using my bedside dock worthless now as a bedside clock at night.. I got to get a fix...

EDIT: Oh i am factory, un rooted running Official...

andirobinson

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Battery Issues

I had a few hiccups with my install (namely, some of my passwords went away and my MS Exchange connection was lost). But my biggest issue is the battery. My battery life seems to be draining like crazy and it won't charge while it is turned off now!

Very frustrating.

anon(319128)

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if anyone pays attention to the real important issues here....but has anyone noticed that when you call your voice mail, on 2.3, it displays an icon of....... an audio CASSETTE!

Too funny.... How many people in this forum even remember using cassette based answering machines? :D

KDParis

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Received the OTA GB update last night. The update downloaded within a few minutes however after installing the update, my DX is completely bricked. Multiple battery pulls have not worked. The phone brings up the home screen then just completely freezes. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I had that problem too, reset by battery pull and then just leave your phone alone for a bit (20 - 30 minutes). It will keep freezing up every once in a while for a day or so then it will work fine. At least that was MY experience. I just rolled with the freezes by just putting the phone down and leaving it and they subsided.

Sleepstupid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Is there some trick to getting the update? If I'm on wifi I get "Checking for update..." forever. If i'm on 3g as soon as i hit the check for update button it immediately comes back and says "check for update is unavailable...."

What do i need to do?

StorminDT

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Click on a phone # in an email. Brings up the dialer, but does not import the phone #. I believe this worked on Froyo.

On a phone call, go to home screen. Then click on dialer shortcut to return to call. Launches dialer but in a different context then the phone call. To get back to the call, need to go to context bar and select active phone call. I believe this also worked different in Froyo.

Ryan0189

Mar 9, 2011
www.rigsofrods.com
I updated to 2.3 last night, first Gingerbread running phone in my household (Everyone else is using 2.2, and my mom is on 1.5 still!)

My first impression: The new look of the UI for 2.3 on the Droid X is amazing, I love it, it's much more suiting to my style, It's nice and clean looking. Then the performance is noticeable, and I love how I can go landscape with the application drawer, and grouping of apps in their own individual categories is epic too.

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Is there some trick to getting the update? If I'm on wifi I get "Checking for update..." forever. If i'm on 3g as soon as i hit the check for update button it immediately comes back and says "check for update is unavailable...."

What do i need to do?

Go into settings ---> Battery and Data Manager---->data delivery---->social applications, and uncheck sync over wifi only...

for some reason if your phone is set to sync social applications over wifi only, the check for system update will not work over 3g. I've confirmed that unchecking this will allow you to check for updates successfully. It doesnt mean the update will be available for you, but itll at least return something other than an error

Reactions: Sleepstupid

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Tried to install upgrade. It failed. Twice. So I went back and did a factory reset (rooted). No joy. Then I did a wipe cache partition/Davlik cache. Screwed up my less-than-a-month-old Sandisk 32 gig card! Wiped it completely and now it won't format at all. Just wanted too report in. I'm re-downloading now and will report back.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Go into settings ---> Battery and Data Manager---->data delivery---->social applications, and uncheck sync over wifi only...

I had to restart my phone after doing this before it showed an update was available. Downloaded over wifi after that with no problems.

continuum#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
My phone updated to Gingerbread. It seemed to go fine, however, I noticed that I've lost almost all of my phone contacts. A few of them are still in my contact list, but the majority are not there. When I look at my recent call activity, it lists just the phone numbers with no name attached. Any ideas as to how I can get my contact list back?

winste

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one having issues with the Amazon App store after the GB update? Says I do now own any apps I d/led from there.

I've got this issue too. Emailed amazon but no reply yet.

This is the only issue I've had with Gingerbread.

A minor annoyance though, using Swype, the keys aren't as responsive. I especially have problems with the space key.