How is your Droid KEYBOARD EXPERIENCE?

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, after having the phone for about 2 weeks-- I can say that I'm finally used to the hardware keyboard.

Initially, when I tried the model in the store, I thought I would never be able to get used to it, but it's working out fine now. There are still mistakes sometimes, and I can never fly on it like I could on a BB Tour, but it's definitely way more usable.

The landscape keyboard works decently well for me, since it's so roomy, but I just prefer the hardware keys.

Portrait keyboard is too small to to anything except reply shortly to a SMS, but I'm glad it's there.

Trying out Swype-- will see how that goes.

Am I also the only one who doesn't prefer 'Better Keyboard'-- I find no difference in responsiveness from Stock, only that it has the numbers as alternate keys, which is not really that useful for me.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Ali, my experience mirrors yours. I had a heck of a time going from the Touch Pro 2 keyboard to the Droid's, but I'm "used" to the Droids now. The one thing that I don't like is that using the hardware keyboard means giving up any spell checking functionality.

ChocoBilly

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I know my post won?t answer the question, but i had an urge to reply:

I don?t use the keyboard. I would if it was something more like that Calgary design.

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
8notime-- It's so funny how people have different user experiences. I actually HATE the spell-checking which is the main reason I DONT use the landscape soft keyboard.

There are just too many words that I use that it doesn't know, and will want to change. I think I need to take the time to add to the dictionary though, so I might make myself use only the soft keyboard for a few days.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
8notime-- It's so funny how people have different user experiences. I actually HATE the spell-checking which is the main reason I DONT use the landscape soft keyboard.

There are just too many words that I use that it doesn't know, and will want to change. I think I need to take the time to add to the dictionary though, so I might make myself use only the soft keyboard for a few days.

Just to clarify what I mean by spell checking, I meant an option to spell check after I've finished composing a message, not while I'm composing. In Windows Mobile, I could hit the right soft key, and select spell check, right before sending, just to make sure I spelled everything correctly.

bmxfreak995

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
For a while i felt like i was the only one who really enjoyed the droids slide out keyboard. I've got larger hands so it wasn't really a big deal to have the d pad offset the keyboard. doesn't slow me down from sending 15,000 + messages a month.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm disappointed in it. I come from a Palm Centro (leetle itty bitty keyboard) and so figured about anything else would be better. Not so. While it is larger, I can type no more quickly or accurately due to the design. I often hit the key below, and end up deleting a lot. I do love the cursor, it's a must have in spreadsheet world.

nbobimchak

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a lot of QWERTY keyboard experience, but the hardware board has been adequate for me. I usually use the soft keyboard, but I've been using the hardware one more and more, ever since I installed HTC's "Touch Input" APK. It gives the hardware keyboard spellcheck/ predictave typing, which certainly helps the flat keys.

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree that the D-Pad is indeed useful and I'm glad I have it.

Coming from a Pre, it is super frustrating to try and accurately touch the area of the message you want to edit. I would usually just delete the whole message and start over.

I don't mind having the keyboard be off-set (nothing like the G1 imo, it's not thaaat bad) for the D-pad.

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Droid is the first phone I've had with a full keyboard (virtual or physical) so I'm quite happy with it. I actually like using all of the keyboards.

I don't have a lot of QWERTY keyboard experience, but the hardware board has been adequate for me. I usually use the soft keyboard, but I've been using the hardware one more and more, ever since I installed HTC's "Touch Input" APK. It gives the hardware keyboard spellcheck/ predictave typing, which certainly helps the flat keys.
Any chance you could link me? Or is that illegal? A hint?

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site

Ah thanks! I tried it out and I liked it with the physical keyboard, but because it was made for a smaller screen, the landscape keyboard was affected and became smaller. Sadly, this is a no-no for me so I had to uninstall. :[

Oh well.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can't stand the physical keyboard. Had the Droid since launch day and haven't ever gotten used to it so only time it comes out is when I need to copy/paste. Right off the bat I was typing faster than my storm using the landscape virtual keyboard and it has only gotten faster with the plus of my thumb joints feeling better from not having to press. I have gotten much better using the portrait QWERTY too. I tried swype but it was far too unnatural to me. I have to think about what I am going to swype before hand and not having to press space bar freaks me out. After a day I gave up with poor results. I think I have only used the d-pad twice too.

dtrust

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I still don't use the hardware keyboard, except very occasionally. I just like the normal on-screen portrait keyboard. It always amazes me how well the predictive text works.

Maybe I'm a little stubborn, but I never got beyond typing just with one finger. :)
I'm actually pretty fast that way. Just don't even look to see whether it's correct or not until I'm done with the message. Scary how well it works, expecially considering I know I'm not hitting all the correct keys for any particular word. Showed it to a co-worker and he just laughed at how accurate it was. Couldn't believe it.

Tried Sywpe, but couldn't get used to it, although it is pretty darn neat. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I like the keyboard and love it for apps when I need the full screen real estate. I find myself using the swype keyboard most of the time tho these days.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I have large thumbs, and do not get along with the hardware keyboard at all. The portrait on-screen keyboard has worked really well for me. I come from a Palm Treo background, and the small keyboard is about the same size.

If the hardware keyboard were more textured and I could feel the buttons better, I might use it. But I haven't missed it much at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11