Sounds like whistling or a wind tunnel when I make calls

Jibeker

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
That's the best way I can describe it.

I saw another thread where people have described static, but I don't know if I'd call it that.

Maybe it's the same thing, but I'll go into a little bit more detail with my phone.

First, when I make a call, when it rings, it's all garbly. Like if the ringing noise (while it waits for the other person to pick up) could have a vibrato, this would be it.

Then, once they answer the phone, and they talk, you can hear what I call a windtunnel in the background. If you've ever driven down the road and just SLIGHTLY crack your window, you get that high-pitched windy noise. That's what this sounds like.

And if that wasn't enough, as the call progresses, this sound increases in pitch until it honestly sounds like a tea kettle whistling that the tea is hot.

It never overbears the phone call and you can't hear it over the person, but it really does impede the quality of the phone call. I've used every V-Code in the programming menu and get the same thing.

The old thread died about a month ago, so I thought I'd make a new one with a bit more description in it in case anyone else is having the same problem.

If anyone has had this issue or knows of a fix, please help. And not to sound like a jerk, but please don't flood this thread with 3 pages of "Lol hey it works great for me :):):):)" because honestly, that doesn't help me at all other than to know that your phone works and mine doesn't.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i dont think there are any solutions to this. There are way too many paramaters involved (your location, possible interference, who you're calling, your device itself, etc). You have to start ruling out different parameters such as call different people on different networks, call from different locations. If none of that does anything to help, then you might need to swap the phone. If still no change, well maybe the quality of phone calls just isn't up to your standards.

I've heard grainyness when im calling (when its ringing and when talking sometimes), but it's definitely not on all calls and hasn't been enough to throw me over the edge yet.

Jibeker

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
That might work.. I just don't travel often or very far. Work is just 30 miles from my house.

However there is something I forgot to mention. When I'm at my house I like to use my headphones when I'm on a call (they're iPhone headphones actually with the microphone and all that) and when I use headphones there is not whistle, wind, static, or anything.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
hmm do your headphones have some kind of built in noise cancellation or something that would modify the incoming signal? that could explain the difference there. If not, then only explanation to me woudl be the speaker on the phone causes the issue. Before the signal goes to either the headphone outjack or to the phone speaker, it is exactly the same.... So either the headphones are "fixing" the signal or the problem lies with the hardware

Jibeker

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it made me think the problem was in the speaker itself. I honestly doubt the iPhone's headphones (from the iPhone 3G) have any noise cancellation on them.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
do you have your in call speaker volume to the max setting? I know this would still be weak, but maybe its just too loud and is overdriving the speaker. Otherwise, take it into verizon they coudl at least tell you if that's just what the quality is (and you can be piseed) or maybe swap you a new one.

Jibeker

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I'll take it to VZW if I can't pinpoint an exact problem. I don't like going into a place asking for a repair on something I can't completely describe.

And no, actually I rarely have the call volume above minimum and never above half.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I've been having some call quality issues with my phone too.. it drives me crazy! I usually have to hang up and call whoever back again. I've been meaning to go to verizon and talk to them.

and I also get alot that the person on the other line can't hear me.. Maybe thats from my case. I have a clear hard case on it.. but once again it annoys me

schmanc

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
jibecker, you're not crazy, I had the same problem too. I took it in, and they said they'd need to do a hard reset on the phone, and it seemed to fix it... but my phone does get very hot! does this dsp thing relate?

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I get the same noise. Like a whistling that increases (and sometimes decreases) in pitch while on a call. I have to say it's quite noticeable but thought I was only hearing it while talking to my wife (who also has a droid). I can do a hard reset at home but would prefer not doing that if I don't have to. Just keeping this thread alive for those that might also have the same audio issue and for potential remedies.