Insurance return

engourdi

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
My DROID went for a swim today. I will have a new one from Asurion on Monday. What is the best way to wipe my personal data out of the phone? I would assume a factory reset?

Thanks,
Wil

engourdi

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I would hope they would reset it but I would prefer not to take the chance. I use the phone for business and don't want to take chances.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
I would say that you "lost" it and keep the turded one for parts.. but thats just me... I would send it for a bath in some rubbing alcohol and then strait into a bag od uncooked rice for about 10 days..

engourdi

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I would say that you "lost" it and keep the turded one for parts.. but thats just me... I would send it for a bath in some rubbing alcohol and then strait into a bag od uncooked rice for about 10 days..

I probably should have included this in the first post. I dropped the phone into a coolant tank while I was in the shop going over prints. I use one of the Bodyglove cases and it does not always clip properly on my belt. It was not clipped and I bumped the phone and it went down into the tank. It's toast. :)

dontera

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I never think that insurance is worth it...until I hear these stories. Only if it wasn't $7/month, or whatever it is.

It is absolutely, 100% worth it! Say you get your brand new Droid on it's 2-year contract. One month in, you drop it in the toilet - and say it isn't recoverable. What now? Without insurance, you will have to pay full price on every phone for the next 1 year and 11 months. That $6/month? Best money you can spend if you have a smartphone.

My wife and I each had Curve 8330s for 1.5 years, and each used our 2 insurance replacements. My sister-in-law has also used her 2 replacements in just a few months. This isn't the kind of thing you can nickel-and-dime because the risks Way out-weigh the cost.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I have insurance on my phone and have never used it, now my sister and her husband bought blackberry storms last spring and did not get the insurance because they were being cheap, and they said they were cheap and didnt want to spend the extra money, well after 2 months her husband dropped his in the toilet, he did get lucky and I told him to put it in a bag of rice and that did the trick for the most part, screen would stick once and a while, then over the summer my sister took her daughter to a concert and lost her phone, she had to go back to her T9 phone that was 4 years old, then one of the kids cracked the screen on her husbands phone, it still works but barely. Now they are in contract until May 2011.....but hey they did save $7 a month for a few months :)

oscar1

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
no joy with Assurion

Dropped my Droid into Salt Water..toast. Verizon store wasted a couple hours of my time only to tell me they wouldn't help and I have to file with Assurion.
Assurion doesn't have any Droids so all this insurance I've paid for gets me a 4 year old flip phone I had in the drawer while I wait....nice

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Insurance for a phone is like many kinds of insurance...many people will never use it and may think it's a waste, but for the some of us that do use it we are so happy to have it when we need it.

jammer71477

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a crappy Kyocera camera phone that ended up taking a few tumbles and randomly shut off. After having to pay full price for a new phone, I purchased phone insurance, and informed my sisters - who are on my phone plan- that they would not have a phone without insurance. I'd rather pay $7 a month than have to pay for a brand new Droid, especially because I am a bit klutzy with things. Better to be safe than sorry.

oscar1

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Assurion

Agreed but. Since they haven't replaced the Droid, I'm NOT getting what I paid for.

This is especially disappointing since it's not cheap ($7/month + $80 deductable)

Be warned!!

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
how would they not replace your Droid? i had them replace one not too long ago....... maybe you were a jerk to them or something LOL? just trying to figure out why they would say they do not have a phone in stock that is not rare what so ever and that they obviously cover........ very odd i agree with you tho you did not get what you paid for ONE BIT. i would be very very upset if i was in your shoes and that would not go down if i was you

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Insurance is a personal judgment call that each needs to make. There are definitely more options for replacement than just insurance or full retail. You can buy used or refurb from the carrier.

how would they not replace your Droid?
They're currently out of stock. It happens.

7 with a 80? I pay 5 with a 50. Used it once on my old Glyde. Got it next day w/ free shipping.
http://support.vzw.com/clc/features/calling_features/equipment_protection.html
Asurion Wireless Phone Protection* Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, provides insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the insurance agency within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval. To make an insurance claim online or to obtain Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection Brochure (all terms and conditions), please visit Asurion's website or call Asurion at (888) 881-2622. Asurion Wireless Phone protection is part of the Total Equipment Coverage bundle or sold separately.

* Phones**
o $4.49 per month per covered phone.
o $39 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
o Equipment maximum limit: $250 per completed claim.

* Advanced Devices**
o $6.00 per month per covered device.
o $89 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
o Equipment maximum limit: $1500 per completed claim.