Motorola Droid

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Let's face it an Android device has multi-taking and customization over the iPhone and that's about it right now. I'm not bashing Android, but the manufactures need to step up the hardware game by upping the processor and internal memory or allowing programs to be stored and run from the SD card, which IMO is a much better way to go, simply pull your card and transfer it to your new device and alleviate the need to re-download your applications.

I don't know what possessed Sprint or HTC to release the Hero running 1.5 with CDMA capability back ported instead of waiting a week or two and shipping with 1.6. The only thing I can think of is they wanted to beat Verizon to the punch. There was zero pre-release advertisement of the Hero in mainstream media, we all found out about it because we watch the forums and techbliggityblogs.

Verizon (with the exception of hardware, not a big Moto fan here), is doing it right by releasing with Android 2.0, hopefully Sprint follows suit by releasing 2.0 instead of working the bugs out of 1.5 that were caused by the back porting of CDMA.

RIM is on the downslide with consumers, the days of repackaging their phones and giving them another name are over. The days of incremental improvements to the OS are done too. RIM's quality control has spiraled down the porcelain pony in the past year, look at the Storm and Tour. Honestly what innovation has RIM brought to the table in the last year? Oh they gave us HTML e-mail.

As a long time CrackBerry member I'm amazed at some of the diehard BB lovers who have made or are thinking of making the switch.

I left the Tour for the Hero and can honestly say I don't think I'll be heading back to BB anytime soon.

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Let's face it an Android device has multi-taking and customization over the iPhone and that's about it right now. I'm not bashing Android, but the manufactures need to step up the hardware game by upping the processor and internal memory or allowing programs to be stored and run from the SD card, which IMO is a much better way to go, simply pull your card and transfer it to your new device and alleviate the need to re-download your applications.

I don't know what possessed Sprint or HTC to release the Hero running 1.5 with CDMA capability back ported instead of waiting a week or two and shipping with 1.6. The only thing I can think of is they wanted to beat Verizon to the punch. There was zero pre-release advertisement of the Hero in mainstream media, we all found out about it because we watch the forums and techbliggityblogs.

Verizon (with the exception of hardware, not a big Moto fan here), is doing it right by releasing with Android 2.0, hopefully Sprint follows suit by releasing 2.0 instead of working the bugs out of 1.5 that were caused by the back porting of CDMA.

RIM is on the downslide with consumers, the days of repackaging their phones and giving them another name are over. The days of incremental improvements to the OS are done too. RIM's quality control has spiraled down the porcelain pony in the past year, look at the Storm and Tour. Honestly what innovation has RIM brought to the table in the last year? Oh they gave us HTML e-mail.

As a long time CrackBerry member I'm amazed at some of the diehard BB lovers who have made or are thinking of making the switch.

I left the Tour for the Hero and can honestly say I don't think I'll be heading back to BB anytime soon.

You say custimization and multi tasking like they are not big things. And can you name something the iphone has over the Android OS other than the APPS! Mind you the Android market has only been out a year and has around 20,000 apps. And the whole year they were supported by the smallest carrier. Now what's gonna happen???

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
You say custimization and multi tasking like they are not big things. And can you name something the iphone has over the Android OS other than the APPS! Mind you the Android market has only been out a year and has around 20,000 apps. And the whole year they were supported by the smallest carrier. Now what's gonna happen???

If you read what I wrote I wasn't bashing Android what I said was that's all they have right now and that the device manufacturers need to step up their game.

You ask what iPhone has over Android, they have one company developing their hardware unlike Android, their hardware is superior right now compared to any Android device on the market.

If anything the acceptance of Android by other carriers is going to push Apple to bring their iPhone out of exclusivity. Unfortunately for Apple it may be too late unless they step up their game too. Many of my iPhone friends are impressed by the capabilities of my Hero, in fact 3 have dropped their iPhone and come over to Sprint for the Hero.

The Android Market really isn't that big right now, but if you taken notice the past couple of days both corporate and application developers are quickly releasing their programs for Android.

Again there was no bashing of Android just stating facts.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
If you read what I wrote I wasn't bashing Android when I was said that's all they have right now and that the device manufacturers need to step up their game.

You ask what iPhone has over Android, they have one company developing their hardware unlike Android, their hardware is superior right now compared to any Android device on the market.

If anything the acceptance of Android by other carriers is going to push Apple to bring their iPhone out of exclusivity. Unfortunately for Apple it may be too late unless they step up their game too. Many of my iPhone friends are impressed by the capabilities of my Hero, in fact 3 have dropped their iPhone and come over to Sprint for the Hero.

The Android Market really isn't that big right now, but if you taken notice the past couple of days both corporate and application developers are quickly releasing their programs for Android.

Again there was no bashing of Android just stating facts.

unless you're not counting the droid as a device that's on the market (since it's not released yet, i can concede that i guess) but the droid has everything (i'm talking hardware wise) that the iphone has plus more. the only thing it is lacking in comparison to the iphone is that it is 1mm thicker. being that it has a physical keyboard though, i see that as a VERY fair compromise.

it has the same processor (essentially, they both run on the same core at the same speed, the gpu's are different but equal at the very least, some say the droid's GPU is faster than the iphone, but i guess we'll see soon enough)

i agree that saving apps to the SD card would be awesome, but until there are more security measures implemented (since it is installing on removable memory) to keep people from just swapping the cards to their friends and copying apps willy nilly i don't see it happening anytime soon.

personally, i think apple's QC has been going down the tubes as of late (along with RIM to about the same degree) to the point where i can't justify the price premium anymore and have recently gotten rid of my macbook after nearly pulling my hair out with snow leopard's issues and then a broken USB port. but that's not really here nor there.

hopefully Motorola is really pushing their QC with these batch of phones since they have so much riding on them.

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Either way I think android is going to be superior to iphone os very soon with its limitless abilities. And with the 5 mp camera on the droid and a nice 3.7 inch capacitive screen I don't think they can really go wrong at all.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
You really can't count the Droid, until it's officially on the market and to be quite honest the specs you're seeing around the net aren't 100% guaranteed as they're based on the prototype. Another thing, the Droid is not coming with MotoBlur, the Calgary is but not the Droid this came directly from Verizon and Motorola.

October 28th is the date to watch, that's the day Verizon is officially announcing the Droid, a lot of things can change between now and then.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone seen a statment as to WHY MotoBlur will not be on the Droid? For the life of me I can't figure out why Moto/Vzw would not want this included.

Lets face it, if you want to compete on the consumer market a whizbagWOW interface is almost mandatory. I'd wager that at least half of the Hero sales were due to Sense.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
@gbhill it could quite possibly be due to the Droid shipping with 2.0, maybe Motorola hasn't updated Blur to work with 2.0.

I wonder the same thing with Sprint and 1.5, why didn't the Hero come with 1.6, the Moment isn't either.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
HTC did not have a released version of Sense on 1.6 prior to production, so releasing the Hero with 1.5 actually makes sense to me. The Moment is a Samsung product, and AFAIK they do not have a GUI of their own for Android OS devices. Not what we (tech savvy or semi-tech savvy users) want to hear, but it is what it is.

IMO a 1.5 or 1.6 MotoBlur Droid would outsell a 2.0 non-MotoBlur Droid to the average consumer, and would fit in well with their new advertisment scheme. But as I've said many times...what do I know? I still use a slide rule :)

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it's somewhat disheartening to see it only running at 550mhz...

hopefully that will at least translate into getting better battery life or something.

I want compensation for my missing 50mhz!! ;)

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
it's somewhat disheartening to see it only running at 550mhz...

hopefully that will at least translate into getting better battery life or something.

I want compensation for my missing 50mhz!! ;)

I think the device processor clocked out at 550mhz but has the potential for 600. plus keep in mind that is the main processor speed and it has a seperate processor just for graphics. Boy genius said it is the fastest android device on the market. And they will have their full preview up on their site tomorrow. I will be sure to post it.

Droid420

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone here ever heard of root access besides gbhil? You can already do apps to sd on android and whole bunch of other stuff that you'll never be able to do with a iphone even without root you can use the adb bridge to contol the phone from pc command prompt with linux shell commands you can push anyfile from your pc to your sd without mounting it at all or install a app right from your pc with one command all thru usb and command prompt i know thats not breathtaking but its a nice option to have you'll never see that kinda control on a iphone alot of ppl don't know about the full potential of android and what u can do with it sure the moto droid won't be rootable right away but i give it a matter of weeks before the dev's fix that and push that 550mhz to 600mhz. Not hating on the iphone at all its def alot sexier and the games and apps are better for now i almost bought one before i got my android phone and i had a bb pearl (which was a great phone in its time) before that but iphone is stuck on one phone android will keep getting better with more choices of phones as time goes by soon you'll have phones with 1ghz snapdragon processors running custom android ui's you'll never get that kind of selection with a iphone or any other phone thats out right now.

Last edited:

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone here ever heard of root access besides gbhil? You can already do apps to sd on android and whole bunch of other stuff that you'll never be able to do with a iphone even without root you can use the adb bridge to contol the phone from pc command prompt with linux shell commands you can push anyfile from your pc to your sd without mounting it at all or install a app right from your pc with one command all thru usb and command prompt i know thats not breathtaking but its a nice option to have you'll never see that kinda control on a iphone alot of ppl don't know about the full potential of android and what u can do with it sure the moto droid won't be rootable right away but i give it a matter of weeks before the dev's fix that and push that 550mhz to 600mhz. Not hating on the iphone at all its def alot sexier and the games and apps are better for now i almost bought one before i got my android phone and i had a bb pearl (which was a great phone in its time) before that but iphone is stuck on one phone android will keep getting better with more choices of phones as time goes by soon you'll have phones with 1ghz snapdragon processors running custom android ui's you'll never get that kind of selection with a iphone or any other phone thats out right now.

I agree with you 100 percent. The android platform can be molded into whatever the user has the capabilities of molding it into. No limitations. Can't beat that.

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The droid officially has a device page in the forums now under android devices. No reason to keep posting in the future android devices thread anymore for the droid.
Edit: oops saw that wrong. Guess they are just getting that thread ready for the droid launch because it is closed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty