Motorola Droid

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
They are already touting it as an iPhone killer.

Verizon's anti-iPhone gets its first commercial: 'Droid Does'

Verizon should have learned it's lesson trying that with the BB Storm. If and when Apple fights back, Verizon will likely lose this new PR war they have started. It's a shame really, as it does look like a VERY nice device, and likely is much more functional. I'd grab it in a heartbeat if I was stuck with Verizon.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Android is a lot different from RIM, however. It has the power and the openness to overtake the iPhone if treated right. And it also signals a change of direction for Verizon that they are seeing that being open is a good thing.

And you can't say that Apple takes the high-road in advertisement here. Their whole Mac vs. PC campaign is about trashing the competition. Sure, it's not for the iPhone, but it's the same company and I wouldn't put it past them if Android gains popularity.

I'm currently using Blackberry, but if the Droid takes off, I might take a look at it (or its successor since it won't be for a while) when my NE2 comes around.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i can see the droid actually being a device that can compete with the iphone, the storm (which i had) didn't really cater to the same demographic that the iphone does, as blackberries have always been (and probably mostly always will be) business devices that are made to just get stuff done, there's virtually no flash and wow to the OS, and they don't orient themselves around the consumer market.

but the droid (and the android platform) sit where it can appeal to a more casual use demographic, it has a decent app store (which more importantly, seems to have apps in similar taste to the apple app store), is a moderately flashy OS that seems to be very consumer friendly.

i can almost guarantee an apple backlash at some point, but what do they really have to tout over android? all i can really think of are apps (essentially the quantity) and a 32gb option out of the box. the droid seems like it'll be just as fast, has wifi, and since it's going to be a "with google" device, you can bet that verizon isn't going to mess with it software wise (which, they really haven't been doing for a while with all their smart phones, my tour has nothing verizon on it aside from the stuff I put on there (songID and the account management software)

the droid has gotten me sufficiently excited about android to make me want to switch from my tour when it comes out, personally that's a pretty big accomplishment.

oh, and just out of curiosity, did verizon themselves ever tout the storm as an "iphone killer" or did the media/market? because this seems like the first time verizon has directly marketed against the iphone specifically.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Android is a lot different from RIM, however. It has the power and the openness to overtake the iPhone if treated right. And it also signals a change of direction for Verizon that they are seeing that being open is a good thing.

And you can't say that Apple takes the high-road in advertisement here. Their whole Mac vs. PC campaign is about trashing the competition. Sure, it's not for the iPhone, but it's the same company and I wouldn't put it past them if Android gains popularity.

I'm currently using Blackberry, but if the Droid takes off, I might take a look at it (or its successor since it won't be for a while) when my NE2 comes around.

Exactly. Apple has the marketing guru's already on retainer, and I'm sure they would love to have a new target. It doesn't matter which product is better, only how well each is marketed. Imagine a commercial showing a non rooted Droid user trying to run an app that requires root, then flash to an iPhone user clicking on app store, clicking the app, then running it. To the average consumer, that is going to be a powerful statment. If I can think up a quick way to show iPhone > Android, imagine what a ruthless sneaky ad exec can do.

i can see the droid actually being a device that can compete with the iphone, the storm (which i had) didn't really cater to the same demographic that the iphone does, as blackberries have always been (and probably mostly always will be) business devices that are made to just get stuff done, there's virtually no flash and wow to the OS, and they don't orient themselves around the consumer market.

but the droid (and the android platform) sit where it can appeal to a more casual use demographic, it has a decent app store (which more importantly, seems to have apps in similar taste to the apple app store), is a moderately flashy OS that seems to be very consumer friendly.

i can almost guarantee an apple backlash at some point, but what do they really have to tout over android? all i can really think of are apps (essentially the quantity) and a 32gb option out of the box. the droid seems like it'll be just as fast, has wifi, and since it's going to be a "with google" device, you can bet that verizon isn't going to mess with it software wise (which, they really haven't been doing for a while with all their smart phones, my tour has nothing verizon on it aside from the stuff I put on there (songID and the account management software)

the droid has gotten me sufficiently excited about android to make me want to switch from my tour when it comes out, personally that's a pretty big accomplishment.

oh, and just out of curiosity, did verizon themselves ever tout the storm as an "iphone killer" or did the media/market? because this seems like the first time verizon has directly marketed against the iphone specifically.

But RIM IS trying to cater to the consumer market. Just not very well. Think of the Vzw Tour ads that go on about the great web browsing and online radio. RIM makes those types of changes to devices to meet carrier demands, which stem from consumers.

I'll have to agree about the Droid likely being a more useful device than an iPhone. There's no doubt about it, but will the American sheep flock to it because of an advertising campiagn? Only if they (Vzw + Moto) can out-swindle the ad exec's at Apple (and AT&T, but I imagine they just sit back and collect the monthly fee while Apple does the advertising :) ). I just think getting into a mudslinging match with Apple is a bad business move, but then again I'm a PC and Electronics Engineering consultant and not an ad exec :)

I don't recall Vzw coming out and saying the Storm was a BB killer, they just implied it with their marketing. OTOH, they did nothing to discourage the media and general public from touting it as the iPhone killer while they were implying that the Storm was the worlds best and only truly capable touch screen smart phone.

All in all I do not see this going well and hope that Google and the Android project stays out of this fight.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
First post,lol. Wow this site looks just like CB. I'm thinking about switching from Blackberry to Android and the DROID.

From one new guy to another - welcome aboard :)

As a BB supporter and long time user, I have ZERO regrets moving on to something better (IMO), and will be porting my whole business over to the Hero. Have been able to get new devices since June, but the BB Tour did not seem like it was cutting the mustard. Now I can get something that CAN cut it, without switching carriers. I can get better Email "push" on the Hero than I can on my BB's without spending the $$ on BES. Also my company uses the web to process service calls, and I coded the pages using shockwave. The Hero handles this flawlessly, so my techs can fill out their sheets in the field without tethering their laptops through their Blackberries. This is a first and a huge plus for me. So far I can find no reason NOT to switch.

Personally, I'd say wait till Storm II comes out, get a Droid to try for 25 days, and if you can't get used to it, jump on the Storm II. Only good things can come out of Vzw getting a (hopefully) quality device running Android, I just worry about their new tactics in their ad campaigns.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. Apple has the marketing guru's already on retainer, and I'm sure they would love to have a new target. It doesn't matter which product is better, only how well each is marketed. Imagine a commercial showing a non rooted Droid user trying to run an app that requires root, then flash to an iPhone user clicking on app store, clicking the app, then running it. To the average consumer, that is going to be a powerful statment. If I can think up a quick way to show iPhone > Android, imagine what a ruthless sneaky ad exec can do.

But RIM IS trying to cater to the consumer market. Just not very well. Think of the Vzw Tour ads that go on about the great web browsing and online radio. RIM makes those types of changes to devices to meet carrier demands, which stem from consumers.

I'll have to agree about the Droid likely being a more useful device than an iPhone. There's no doubt about it, but will the American sheep flock to it because of an advertising campiagn? Only if they (Vzw + Moto) can out-swindle the ad exec's at Apple (and AT&T, but I imagine they just sit back and collect the monthly fee while Apple does the advertising :) ). I just think getting into a mudslinging match with Apple is a bad business move, but then again I'm a PC and Electronics Engineering consultant and not an ad exec :)

I don't recall Vzw coming out and saying the Storm was a BB killer, they just implied it with their marketing. OTOH, they did nothing to discourage the media and general public from touting it as the iPhone killer while they were implying that the Storm was the worlds best and only truly capable touch screen smart phone.

All in all I do not see this going well and hope that Google and the Android project stays out of this fight.

i agree that rim is trying to change their orientation as a business only phone, however until they do a major overhaul on their software (as nice a OS 5.0 is, it's still just a slightly improved version of the same dated OS blackberries have been running since their inception) which is fine and dandy for GTD people, but it's getting a little old for people who want to have a little more fun with their mobile devices. but for someone like me, who gets some work done on my bb, but doesn't want to just do work (i enjoy having fun, and work is just NOT a fun thing for me...life is short :p) they simply aren't doing enough to keep me interested. the more i read about the android platform, the less patience i have for the time b/t now and when i can get my hands on this new gadget.

personally, i think that apple's ad wizards have been running on old campaign ideas for a while now and haven't seemed to come up with anything new (mac vs. PC ads don't even talk about what macs can do anymore, it's more of just a PC hating misinformationfest, and all the iphone ads do is market their appstore) it'd be interesting to see what non-techy people think of the ad campaign after it becomes more than a teaser. it has me excited, but i'm already excited for the droid, so i don't really count. unless apple has some marketing dynamite tucked away, i don't really see any retort to the points that vzw has made against their phone aside from their appstore.

as far as verizon not discounting the claims made that the storm was an iphone killer, it wouldn't make sense for them to spend the time and money to do so, they moreso marketed it as an awesome touch screen phone that was a blackberry to boot.

sorry this is long and might have some tangents thrown in and what not...it's late :)

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I have high hopes for this and the future of android

Its an extremely chance that this will be my next phone. I feel Android has proven itself (over the last 12 months) that it has what it takes to continuely produce good product and will continue to do so. I can't wait to see what they have up next.

scurvydlicious

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Looks like the date was changed on Verizon's website from 10/30/2009 to 10/28/2009.

phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/flash/xml/config.xml

( still can't post links, sorry. )

Would be nice to get this earlier :D

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
seems to make the 10/30 date more legit then! couple days for final promotion and then BAM! it's in the store and then in my hands! :D

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
First post,lol. Wow this site looks just like CB. I'm thinking about switching from Blackberry to Android and the DROID.
hey matrix2004 remember last year waiting on the storm in the crackberry forum? Well half way thru the year I jumped ship to the Omnia and now I am dying for Droid news.

scurvydlicious

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I have the Storm too, but I've lucked out, mine has worked fine, never had to replace it... Although, there are tons of negatives, mainly the browser and media player... I can't wait for the Droid. Bye bye crackberry, hello androidcentral :D

matrix2004

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I have the Storm too, but I've lucked out, mine has worked fine, never had to replace it... Although, there are tons of negatives, mainly the browser and media player... I can't wait for the Droid. Bye bye crackberry, hello androidcentral :D

I know right, this will become as big or bigger than Crackberry. No doubt.

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, so how did you like the Omnia?
Man miles and miles beyond the Storm. The thing was soooo much faster and the ability to customize without the hinderance of RIM was also great. I mean the only thing that the Omnia lacked that the storm had was a capacitive touchscreen resistive does get aggrevating and the screen size. I definitely missed that. Other than that I can't say that I missed it too much. Better apps and more abilities than Iphone. Flash web browser in Skyfire. Gaming capabilities were awesome had Assassin's creed. look just like iphone just screen was not as good. Now the droid is coming and I have a feeling it is going to take over.
Yes the Droid is the new in right now. Every device has it's day and it is the dawn of Android. Can't freaking wait.

JKaytheISH

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
I feel so dirty talking in a forum not crackberry.
LOL

so!
who's the "Kevin" of androidcentral?

and gosh, I need the droid now.
I sold my storm on ebay for 220 and i have to ship tomorrow... so i'm using a dinosaur until then haha

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I feel so dirty talking in a forum not crackberry.
LOL

so!
who's the "Kevin" of androidcentral?

and gosh, I need the droid now.
I sold my storm on ebay for 220 and i have to ship tomorrow... so i'm using a dinosaur until then haha

Tell me about it I sold my omnia for 200 on craigslist and downgraded to the BLACKBERRY PEARL until release date. It sucks soooo bad!!!!:(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly