No root loss updating to .621

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
If your running stock rooted GB and want to take the new upcoming .621 GB update without losing your precious .su capabilities, then this app is for you....

Voodoo OTA Root Keeper

https://market.android.com/details?...m9yZy5wcm9qZWN0dm9vZG9vLm90YXJvb3RrZWVwZXIiXQ..

Some folks on the soak update for .621 have confirmed this works when used properly. I just can't find that certain forum at the moment. I am tired. But the rest of this post I assure is accurate lol :cool:

Reactions: gordol

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
@mikeytoth
I dont know what you mean by "i'll sbf back and get root"
what sys are you on now? I'm assuming .602. If it really means much, you dont have to take the update. I'm just informing those that like taking each factory update that comes out while staying on rooted Blur

@cpurick
I have heard that as well. That is why I now stick to rooting & ROM's that dont get push updates. 602 has been fine for me since I got it and havent looked back since.

Last edited:

Goose306

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I just installed the OTA RootKeeper. I'll see if it does the job when I receive the update to my X.

It should. If you willing to do this, keep it as Moto is rolling out updates in waves. If you can successfully keep it then please post a .nandroid afterwards @Rootz, we are in need of more information to figure out what VZW/Moto are doing here, and maybe we can find a work around.

Keep in mind if you take the OTA currently there is no way to revert back to earlier firmware. What that means is since there is no .621 SBF currently and you currently cannot revert, that means you will lose your SBF abilities. So be very careful, and understand that this update could be the last one you do to your DX. If you're willing to accept that (which, if you were planning on taking the OTA, you were, but just making sure you understood what will happen.) Then do so, and then visit here:

Warning .621=NO SBF ... I REPEAT NO SBF - RootzWiki

We already have the update .zip but we need to see how it applies in to the new system and how root is maintained.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It should. If you willing to do this, keep it as Moto is rolling out updates in waves. If you can successfully keep it then please post a .nandroid afterwards @Rootz, we are in need of more information to figure out what VZW/Moto are doing here, and maybe we can find a work around.

Keep in mind if you take the OTA currently there is no way to revert back to earlier firmware. What that means is since there is no .621 SBF currently and you currently cannot revert, that means you will lose your SBF abilities. So be very careful, and understand that this update could be the last one you do to your DX. If you're willing to accept that (which, if you were planning on taking the OTA, you were, but just making sure you understood what will happen.) Then do so, and then visit here:

Warning .621=NO SBF ... I REPEAT NO SBF - RootzWiki

We already have the update .zip but we need to see how it applies in to the new system and how root is maintained.
I'm not using any special ROMs, I rooted primarily so I could freeze out some apps via MyBackup's Root Toolkit. I took the OTA this evening after installing the Voodoo OTA Rootkeep, and it worked as advertised. Better, in that it also updated my SU binary. :) My only issue is that .621 didn't fix the bug I was looking to have fixed - my hardware buttons still do not light up as they should.

Goose306

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not using any special ROMs, I rooted primarily so I could freeze out some apps via MyBackup's Root Toolkit. I took the OTA this evening after installing the Voodoo OTA Rootkeep, and it worked as advertised. Better, in that it also updated my SU binary. :) My only issue is that .621 didn't fix the bug I was looking to have fixed - my hardware buttons still do not light up as they should.

Would you be so kind as to shoot us a .nandroid? If you want to you can scrub out any sensitive info prior to providing, if you do not trust us. When this update goes live nationwide its going to cause many a headache in the Droid X rooted community for those who are caught unawares.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Would you be so kind as to shoot us a .nandroid? If you want to you can scrub out any sensitive info prior to providing, if you do not trust us. When this update goes live nationwide its going to cause many a headache in the Droid X rooted community for those who are caught unawares.
I presume that a ".nandroid" is a backup file of the system. How would I go about scrubbing it? (It's not about trusting you, it's about data privacy in general).

Goose306

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I presume that a ".nandroid" is a backup file of the system. How would I go about scrubbing it? (It's not about trusting you, it's about data privacy in general).

EDIT: It appears everything we need should be in /system. Its mounted R/O when booted, there shouldn't be any private info in there. All the private stuff should be in data. So you could backup, pull it out to a PC, then shoot us the /system portion. Shouldn't be any danger in that.

Not really needed info but just in case
Understood, and that's completely understandable as well. You would have two different options. If you have never done it, you will need to access recovery. You will need Droid 2 Bootstrap while you are on GB for the Droid X. Hit Bootstrap Recovery, then Reboot Recovery. It'll put you in to recovery. From here just hit Backup/Restore and do a backup. Nandroids are saved to your sdcard/clockworkmod/backup directory, by the date. You can either pull that file off your sdcard then open it, partitions are saved in .tar directories, so you just need to extract using a program like 7zip or IZArc and you can see all your backed up files and delete sensitive ones (i.e. ones linked to your Google account). Alternatively, you can make the backup (do the backup before the next step!), and while staying Clockwork, you can hit Factory Reset/Wipe Data, and also Wipe Cache. This will auto-scrub all your sensitive information and completely wipe it to out of the box state, but still on .621. You can then create a backup of this version, and after that (and still in the same Clockwork session, do NOT exit until the next step) go back in to Backup/Restore, and Restore your earlier backup (the one you made with all of your data on it). You can then choose Reboot Recovery and you should be back in just how you were. This is by far the easiest option and *should* work fine as it did on previous versions of stock GB (and it does on all custom ROMs) but I also can't gaurantee they the update didn't b0rk Clockwork in its own way somehow (poking around in the update.zip it appears to include a new boot partition iso file and a new system recovery) I know people have been able to successfully access Clockwork while on .621, but I haven't heard of anyone wiping data and then restoring a backup. It could be completely fine, and most likely is, but just giving you a heads up. Lastly, this is completely optional. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't. But it would be a great service to the Droid X community if you were able to. If not then I can hit up some other people I have noticed cross-forums, there are a few people such as yourself who are currently on .621 with root. However, the sooner we can get it the better, so *hopefully* we can have a chance of cracking this early. If you don't feel like taking the risk of the Factory Reset, I can ask which files we need (it appears certain recovery files are needed from the nandroid and probably the framework.jar, among others) which doesn't include any sensitive information. So you could (if you wanted) just do the first backup, then go and choose Reboot Recovery and be perfectly safe, and then just shoot us over the needed files, as well.

Last edited:

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Goose! Who let you out of your Rootzwiki cage lol
This is going to be a big issue here at AC for alot of users as they've been so used to SBF as the way to just go back and forget the bad stuff that just happened so thanks for spreading the extra warnings. I'm only in the DX forums here but alot of D1 and D2 users pop in too.

Goose306

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for your assistance. We now have a working system partition from the .621 update from another member, so don't worry about doing it yourself.