Absolutely, do not buy Xoom!

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
sounds like maybe you are getting power surges when you go to charge and it is hosing up the Xoom. I suspect you need to try and charge from a different location.

jbecerril

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I got my xoom from verizon the day it came out and i havent had any problems with it. my 4 year old plays with it too and its been working like a champ

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 3G Xoom since Feb. One scare after about a month when it wouldn't boot up (learned the holding volume up, followed by powering on trick). Since then, I use my Xoom extensively, and have had just a few application lock-ups (stock browser, usually), but other wise trouble-free use.

Perhaps the one Best Buy in question got a shipment of some problematic Xooms. I'd be curious to know if that store saw an unusually high rate of returns due to defects?

As for the iPad 2 being a better bet for the non-tech savvy, I did a quick search for "ipad 2 locked up". Sure seem to be a lot of iPad 2 owners experiencing lock-ups. It's no panacea.

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
same as everyone else, I don't think I have had a single random reboot, had it since day 1. Trade it in and use it yourself for a few days, my parents stuff (computers, routers, printers) breaks a lot too they then blame it on me or the device, I think they are old and break it some how...haha

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Oh yeah i would ask the mods to change the title of this post too, gives xoom a bad name for a very rare case.

Anyone coming to read this will see its a single issue. I hope the next tab even if a ipad works for him. I'd hate to have issues like this.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Had mine two weeks no problems and I fall under the senior citizen label. Hardly use my laptop anymore, give it five stars.

xzigraz

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i've been enjoying it since wifi version released. the only thing that i am worried about is the power button, sometimes i need to press it really hard to turn it on or off. anybody experiencing this issue?

kstoutdog

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
get him the acer iconia a500
nearly identical specs... USB, HDMI, microSD, Honeycomb... etc..
Great device... and CHEAPER... I got one for $299

pappyfire

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Also a day one purchaser. I use it for work so it gets used a lot and I've not had any problems with it. I like my Xoom a lot!

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I can see one having a prob maybe 2 not 3 you have to be doing something they don't like...

I am an absolute Android fan, loved the OG Droid, the DInc and DInc II, but I bought the Xoom for my Dad for Fathers Day. Nothing but reboots and freezes. I went through 2 returns (Best Buy) and they all did the same. At first, I thought is was my Dad or Nieces playing with it but I had it for a week trying to get it to work right. Nothing but freezes and reboots, eventually it just stopped completely and that was on the third one with no one touching it but me. Now it won't even turn on. What a JOKE!! I love this platform but the Xoom is putting a bad taste to it. I will try out the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for him next but if that doesn't work "As Advertised" then I hate to admit it, but he will be getting an iPad 2. He's in his sixties and just wants something the he can browse and email from. Anybody else have these problems? Reboots and freezes on the honey comb screen?

johnowolf

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had my wifi xoom for a couple of months. Took a chance on an open box from best buy; have not had any major issues. I use it extensively for work (outlook/exchange email and calendar, documents to go, pdfs, etc) as well as gmail, browsers (I like dolphin), rhapsody, Netflix (yay!), and lots more. Only a couple of apps that FC. I get wifi on the road through mobile hospital on my phone.

Sorry you have had so much trouble. Makes me wonder if it's a network or power issue at home.

Alder5

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I received mine as a birthday present little over a month ago and it has paid off, more than actually. My back went out about a week ago and this baby has been a workhorse. It has been on a steady diet of email (using Enhanced Email) , Quickoffice HD Pro, Logmein, Dolphin Browser, SIGNificant (if you need to sign anything this program is perfect) and Motoprint to mention a few.

I have to give all the above programs credit, they all worked at least as well as advertised and a few went beyond my expectations. Most importantly, not on of those programs gave me the dreaded "Forced to Close" message.

So, I'm really sorry your Xoom hasn't worked out. I don't know what I would have done without mine. Now it's even better, I can file all those spreadsheets away on my SD card. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I had similar problems when I bought one day 2 after release. So much so that I brought it back and didn't get a replacement. Every other time I used ie it would crash, freeze, etc. Throw on top of that flash and SD card not working as well as no Apps at the time and it wasn't worth it.

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had similar problems when I bought one day 2 after release. So much so that I brought it back and didn't get a replacement. Every other time I used ie it would crash, freeze, etc. Throw on top of that flash and SD card not working as well as no Apps at the time and it wasn't worth it.

You have IE on your Xoom?