Anybody else get this letter from Verizon?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
attachment.php

Apparently 6 months after releasing the device Verizon has decided NOT to allow us to have extended warranties on our Xooms. We basically paid the same price as a moderately priced laptop for the things and now if something happens to the thing that is not damage or loss/theft after the first year we are completely out of luck or else we will have to physically damage the thing and file a warranty claim and pay the $129 deductible for the privilege or replacing the thing for something that was not even our faults. I'm almost afraid to send it to Motorola for the 4G upgrade now (whenever that finally happens) for fear they will mess something up inside and not being able to make them repair or replace the unit :(

Blazian

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Just to let people know. If you do have an issue with your Xoom while in the 1yr manufacturer warranty. Motorola gave me the option to replace my Xoom for $149 or something to that effect. I know because I was going to do a warranty replacement when I thought something was wrong with my charging light. I believe this was even if I physically damaged it myself.;)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Just to let people know. If you do have an issue with your Xoom while in the 1yr manufacturer warranty. Motorola gave me the option to replace my Xoom for $149 or something to that effect. I know because I was going to do a warranty replacement when I thought something was wrong with my charging light. I believe this was even if I physically damaged it myself.;)

Yeah but but that has nothing to do with us. We are paying for TEC so Verizon/Assurion will replace it. Now they are saying they will only replace it IF there is physical breakage or theft, internal component failure is no longer covered once the one year warranty is up. .

0bfusc8

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Quite frankly I think it is exceptionally unethical for VZW to sell an extended warranty and then yank it out from under the customer. And now the only recourse that a Xoom owner has if the thing craps out is to either just eat the entire thing or intentionally damage their unit (breaking the spirit, if not the letter, of the WPP agreement). If the mistake is yours then eat it and move on - that is the way it is supposed to work. You actually are supposed to pay for your mistakes, not find some way to pass the consequences to an some other party.

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Quite frankly I think it is exceptionally unethical for VZW to sell an extended warranty and then yank it out from under the customer. And now the only recourse that a Xoom owner has if the thing craps out is to either just eat the entire thing or intentionally damage their unit (breaking the spirit, if not the letter, of the WPP agreement). If the mistake is yours then eat it and move on - that is the way it is supposed to work. You actually are supposed to pay for your mistakes, not find some way to pass the consequences to an some other party.

Absolutely, it IS unethical and possibly illegal (have to read the wording of the Assurion TOS), but somehow I doubt there is anything we can do about it. I'm guessing they have the right to revoke coverage as long as they give like 10 days notice or something and I am guessing that is what this letter is for (notice they are not removing it till October)

If I break the thing absolutely I will pay the deductible and get a replacement but if the fault isnt mine (ie internal component failure) then i should not have to pay just because I have had the unit over a year. Sometimes that doesn't happen during the first year.

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
While it is disappointing to have the extended warranty yanked out from under us, there is a bright spot. Asurion does cover any type of occurrence not covered by the warranty. With that said, once you file a claim, the "lost" device becomes the property of Asurion. Asurion does warranty the replacement device for manufacturer defects. The first device sent will more than likely be a refurbished device. If that refurbished device does not perform to standard,;) you can contact Asurion again to complain and they are then required to send you a new device that has never been used. That device is then warrantied by Verizon Wireless for 1 full year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez