Post iPad2: Why I Bought the Xoom

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
you don't work in marketing do you?

its not the the fact thats its 800, its the fact that its 800 on contract..most android tablets will fail the same reason why carrier made netbooks failed.

contracts

The wifi version should have been the first one out.

Got mine for $589 on 5gb contract from costco. 14 day return w/ no early termination fee. 90 day price adjustment. You can downgrade to the 1gb plan once you leave the store.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah live wallpapers make a device sweet. People should get a Xoom because of the live wallpapers. That make the user experience so awesome. Forget about the occasional lag, temporary freezing, high price and no apps. Go grab it for the wallpapers and widgets.

I've been using my Xoom since launch every day, 10-12 hours a day and have not experienced one problem that you mentioned. I use it to write word and excel sheets, remote desktop into servers, ssh into linux boxes, email on 4 different email accounts, watch videos, listen to music, video conference on google talk, play games, read news articles, read books, watch Youtube videos, IM on trillian, surf the web and I can keep going on. I am taxing the hell out of this thing in multi tasking and again, I have not had any stuttering, slow downs, lockups or freezing of any kind.

As for the no apps, when the iPad first debuted it also had no apps...how easy we forget. Oh and your iPad 2...yeah...it has a dual core processor but guess what...you'll only be using one core on it since NONE of the apps for it can utilize a dual core. Apple only shoved a dual core in there to compete against the other tablets coming out with a dual core. The iPad 2 is Apple's way of putting lipstick on a pig until they can get the iPad 3 out the door which will have all the specs people were expecting in the iPad 2.

Also you are incorrect about $800 and having to have a contract...it's $800 without a contract and $600 with a 2 year. You do NOT have to open a month to month contract if you pay $800 to activate the device.

Reactions: Nchaka and farwest

CD1X

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
so at the moment im tweeting...forum posting....facebooking and checking Pulse all from my AMAZING Xoom..... Im #winning! What Ipad 2??? hahaha

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Got mine for $589 on 5gb contract from costco. 14 day return w/ no early termination fee. 90 day price adjustment. You can downgrade to the 1gb plan once you leave the store.

Is the 14 day return policy for the xoom also? I was told today that its 14 days on phones and 30 on tablets.
I haven't bought it yet, but I like Costcos price adjustment and 90 exchange policy. To bad it doesn't qualify for Costcos 90 return policy like the TV's. I'm deciding who has the better deal, I want to see if Best buy will match motorolas $100 off coupon (posted on droidlife and This forum) first.
Also, in your opinion, do you think getting the contract is a good deal? (besides saving money up front)
Thanks for your info.

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is the 14 day return policy for the xoom also? I was told today that its 14 days on phones and 30 on tablets.
I haven't bought it yet, but I like Costcos price adjustment and 90 exchange policy. To bad it doesn't qualify for Costcos 90 return policy like the TV's. I'm deciding who has the better deal, I want to see if Best buy will match motorolas $100 off coupon (posted on droidlife and This forum) first.
Also, in your opinion, do you think getting the contract is a good deal? (besides saving money up front)
Thanks for your info.

I bought mine at Costco and was told I have 90 days. Is that because you bought a contract?

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your info.

Here's the scoop. Costco has a lifetime return policy that's limited to 90 days for some things like TVs, computers, smartphones, and other certain electronics like our Xooms. Costco doesn't limit this 90-day return policy for anything, including smartphones on contracts.

Where a limit comes in is with a carrier's wireless contract. Sure, you can return a subsidized phone within 90 days and after the 14-day or 30-day carrier return policy (depending on state), but that would be rather silly because you'd still be liable for the wireless contract with nothing to show for it. Cancel that contract, and you're liable for the ETF. (Note: it might also be that if you return a subsidized phone it automatically cancels the contract, but I'm not 100% on that part.)

Since our Xooms can be purchased with no associated wireless contract (except in some early cases a month-to-month that can be cancelled, and in California we have 30 days to cancel even those, so it's effectively no contract at all), we can return them within 90 days no questions asked and without any sort of penalty.

Of course, if you buy the subsidized version and sign a contract, then you're on the hook just as if you'd purchased a subsidized phone. In California, that would mean that you have a 30 day trial period for the wireless contract, and then would still theoretically have a 90-day return on the Xoom but wouldn't want to exercise it because you'd still have the contract to worry about.

Last edited:

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
wealthy in a sense if you have to think about the price, you cant afford it.

that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever herd!

Would I like to have it, yes
Can I afford it, yes
would I pay that, no

This is something I want but do not need! That makes paying $800 for it foolish, I have 2 laptops, a netbook, 2 desktops and a droid x and to be honest some of those things were a waste of money.

Now if buying a tablet would help me in anyway or make my job or life any easier it would justify paying that price for but not just to have it.

TeckSupport05

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to agree with the original poster. I had an ipad since day 1. Loved the device. Had an iPhone and Droid phone. Love them both equally (although I just sold my iPhone for when the thunderboltis released ) but when the xoom came out, I said "nah, ipad 2 will be out soon.". The second it was announced, I decided to get the xoom. Why? Tablets are the future. I want something that's going to be futuristic feeling. The opacity is the same thing over and over again. Honeycomb, although with its learning curve, is something that just feels so, 2014. The ipad 2 is going to be killer, but still lacks in OS and, surprisingly, flash in the camera (didn't think it was needed, but was surprised )

renoriggs

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought my xoom day 1. Could have cared less about ipad 2. The reason was I knew it wasn't gonna be any different that I pad or iPhone or iPod touch. The ios is stale is what I'm getting at folks.

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Haters gonna hate.

Point of the matter is you're going to get what you like, wether you're an android fanboy or apple sheeple there will always be trolls that want to sling mud to get a rise out of you, IMHO if you take the time to get upset over someones online rant you need to turn off your PC, laptop or tablet and go outside for a bit.

I myself am going to be purchasing a wifi only Motorola Xoom once Sam's club gets them in stock. My reason for choosing a Xoom over an ipad is simple, AOSP. I want to be able to have a choice to do what I wish with my investment, not be tied down to what apple says I can and cannot do. I'm not worried about if my grandma or 3 year old niece can use it, I'm not purchasing it for them I'm purchasing it for me, myself and I.