Very Satisfied With Flash 10.2

cain_templar

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
To be frankly, I was quite disappointed with the performance of the leaked Flash player last week. As an iPad owner, I do think its has better HTML 5 support than Xoom. I wish Flash player could match the performance of the embedded video player safari has.

But still, there are so many amazing stuff (not to say so many pirated videos you can find) on the internet provided by Flash, and most people do need them!

With most Flash content I visit on daily basis, Flash player 10.2 is doing a better than expected job. Google finance, Amazon Instance Video, youtube (don't ask me why I watch youtube in a browser), 90% of the time Flash runs quite smoothly. And what's the best is, now Flash content feels part of the web page. When you scroll and pinch zoom, you don't feel the same clumsiness with Flash 10.1 anymore.

I just can't wait for Flash 10.2 to go GA with hardware acceleration. My iPad can stay on my toilet tank growing dust then.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree, and believe me as a former iPad 1 and currently own both the Xoom and iPad 2 Xoom is winning me over day by day. Flash is making the Xoom feel alot more like a true laptop replacement vs a mobile platform. I still have a list of tests to do before making my final decision, but wow. A week with Honeycomb has been an eye opener from 2.1 I used on a phone.

If this is not hardware optimized, and will improve it should be a very nice experience.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sure Flash is slow, laggy, old, etc. But majority of website still use flash and this is why flash on xoom rocks. Can't wait for them to release a final version for honeycomb, beta is already pretty good. And no matter what Apple users say, I'd rather have flash than not have one at all.

What I noticed about final beta is that its a lot smoother than the leaked version.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Sure Flash is slow, laggy, old, etc. But majority of website still use flash and this is why flash on xoom rocks. Can't wait for them to release a final version for honeycomb, beta is already pretty good. And no matter what Apple users say, I'd rather have flash than not have one at all.

What I noticed about final beta is that its a lot smoother than the leaked version.

Agreed, the leaked version had me nervous, but I reserved my judgment until tonight when I could fully experience what 10.2 has to offer. I am now looking forward to the update that actually streams 720p and uses hardware decoding. Get this dang SD slot and LTE where I live and ill be one happy owner.

I do have one question, how to get Hulu to work? I really like the stock browser and its controls but if I need to use a different browser that can be spoofed to a desktop please let me know which one works with Hulu.

Last edited:

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sure Flash is slow, laggy, old, etc.

Remind me why Flash is slow, laggy and old. Because Apple keeps saying that and it's getting into the media?

Flash works just fine on my notebook and desktop. And it's going to support 720p streaming video on a tablet when the final release comes out for the XOOM.

This reminds me of the guy who asked if he should wait for a Tegra3 based tablet. It is sometimes irrelevant if something promises more (in this case HTML5). The important question is "Does this technology currently meet my needs?"

IMHO, I don't see Flash going anywhere soon. Yes, it's mature, so I can actually see where you can say "old". That doesn't mean it's outdated or unable to improve. There is a place for both in the coming decade... again, IMHO.

"Slow and laggy"... I think not. Especially for the vast bulk of users. That's the Apple camp talking.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I played Netflix via the PlayOn app and it was great on the Xoom. This was at home over my 5G WiFi network.

jmunster

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I did some Amazon streaming last night that worked pretty well and the kids are playing on pbskids.org right now. Pretty happy with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty