Rant: Absolutely unacceptable that the 3.1 update doesn't fix lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8trfan#IM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just curious if the Xoom is so bad and unacceptable, why don’t you return it and buy some other tablet? I’m not trying to be a smartass just curious.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if the Xoom is so bad and unacceptable, why don’t you return it and buy some other tablet? I’m not trying to be a smartass just curious.

1. pros>cons

2. no other suitable tablet for my needs...what else is out there? an Ipad, Ipad2, blackberry, and a acer, all of which suck to me

3. having a dysfunctional tablet is better than carrying around my laptop, thinkpad x61 tablet, which takes 2 mins to restart and battery dies within 3 hours of constant use, and freezes half the time I take it out of sleep mode.

4. When the samsung comes out, I will certainly give that a try to see if its a honeycomb thing or a motorola thing. I have held, but not tried the Asus one yet, but I dont' like the build of it.

Last edited:

pixelsyndicate

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Loved actually having a little blue curson when I hooked up a keyboard and mouse. Was this up are to include ability to use SD card? That's my big beef.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
4. When the samsung comes out, I will certainly give that a try to see if its a honeycomb thing or a motorola thing. I have held, but not tried the Asus one yet, but I dont' like the build of it.
It's a Honeycomb thing... or maybe a graphics processor thing... (they both use the same).

The video of the example was done on a Samsung 10.1.

Edit: I tried to leave it at that, but yeah, I've got to comment. ;-)
"Dysfunctional"? Puh-leeze. I read .pdf files in portrait all the time. I'm an electrical engineer who needs to read data sheets, application notes an other technical documents... all in .pdf. I never even noticed this stutter. One needs to deliberately look for this.

Last edited:

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree, dysfunctional is a bit harsh ;) Rough around the edges, more like.

Where some manufacturers choose leave out core features like multitasking and copy n' paste to polish the remaining user experience, Android is more features first makeup later.

That framerate thing in secondary landscape was a surprise though. It looks like Honeycomb optimized apps (like quake3droid) suffer while non-optimized apps get away with it.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i dont have ANY lag but i keep seeing lag post
Yeah. It's frustrating, but a few people found what I call "stutter" or "lack of smoothness" when the unit is upside down or in portrait mode. They continue to misuse the term "lag".

"Lag" has yet to be demonstrated. "Lag", being the inability of the unit to not keep up with touch movements or the XOOM being demonstrably slower than iPad.

A few people keep pointing to the delay time for screen reorientation, but again, that's not lag. It's an obvious programming decision by Motorola.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
"Dysfunctional"? Puh-leeze. I read .pdf files in portrait all the time. I'm an electrical engineer who needs to read data sheets, application notes an other technical documents... all in .pdf. I never even noticed this stutter. One needs to deliberately look for this.

my pdf files are over 200 pages in length and 50mb+......small pdf's don't have issues, but large ones do

keep justifying this dysfunctional tablet to yourself, my friend.....you dropped $600-$800 on it and now your psychological defensive mechanisms are kicking in........and can't accept reality...makes sense really

You accused me of having no recourse...but now I accuse you.....you know you are stuck with this tablet and are trying to make the best of it, while the rest of us still have the option to return this unit.

We have presented evidence and proof do you that this lag exists.....but you just can't make up your mind if there is or isn't lag.

This will be my last communication to you.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have to say, I don't have any lag. If anything, the 3.1 update has been pretty stellar for me thus far. I love the movie rental feature.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
my pdf files are over 200 pages in length and 50mb+......small pdf's don't have issues, but large ones do

keep justifying this dysfunctional tablet to yourself, my friend.....you dropped $600-$800 on it and now your psychological defensive mechanisms are kicking in........and can't accept reality...makes sense really

You accused me of having no recourse...but now I accuse you.....you know you are stuck with this tablet and are trying to make the best of it, while the rest of us still have the option to return this unit.

We have presented evidence and proof do you that this lag exists.....but you just can't make up your mind if there is or isn't lag.

This will be my last communication to you.
No, I dropped nearly $3000 on three of them and accompanying accessories and tax. ;-) But I'm not counting and will upgrade as soon as there is something significantly better.

Data sheets, appnotes and other technical papers in the world of semiconductors are not less than 200 pages... they are more like 800+. But I shouldn't assume you would know that, unless you were in the biz. Now-a-days, even 8bit microcontroller data sheets are several hundred pages long. Summary data sheets these days are 100+.

I don't see the stutter when viewing these docs because I don't slowly drag the page. I flick the page. As you must know, the next full page needs to be mostly in view for it to come into focus. I've become pretty good at flicking pages. I flick a lot of them.

I never accused you of having no recourse. Show me anything I wrote that remotely implied that. In fact, I said the opposite. I told you to buy something else. That's what I would do if I hated my XOOM so much.

...and you keep using the term "lag". Lag means it's not keeping up with your finger. This is not the case. What you are complaining about is a lack of smoothness when dragged slowly. Nothing is lagging behind your finger.

From another thread, I believe you're getting the Samsung tablet. You'll find the same lack of smoothness with that tablet.

I've looked at the other tablets coming to market and don't see any reason to jump. Unless something startling shows up before August/September, I'd wait to see what gets released early next year. I'm assuming all the vendors will align their release schedules so they can create buzz at CES and Mobile World Conference, then deliver a month after that.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
1. I never accused you of having no recourse. Show me anything I wrote that remotely implied that. In fact, I said the opposite. I told you to buy something else. That's what I would do if I hated my XOOM so much.

2. and you keep using the term "lag". Lag means it's not keeping up with your finger. This is not the case. What you are complaining about is a lack of smoothness when dragged slowly. Nothing is lagging behind your finger.

3. From another thread, I believe you're getting the Samsung tablet. You'll find the same lack of smoothness with that tablet.

I said I wasn't going to respond to you...but I just had to show the board to counter your denial.

1. Look below...are you already forgetting what you have posted?

Then I don't understand what the problem is. Seriously dude, you sound like you spent your last $800 on a XOOM, have no recourse to return it, and you are bitter you didn't buy an iPad2. That's exactly how you sound.

2. Lag, stutter, freeze..whatever it is...I'm not familar with the technical terms...lets just call it a lack of smoothness

3. You said you have never experienced this lack of smoothness, yet you do now..please make up your mind already

wmoor004

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I respect your rant! My PDF files are horrible thus far... If I could I would get the Ipad2 ~ I don't care about Widgets or custom screens! I want a device that fits my needs.

I know updates will fix a lot of the device problems but...Wow I just said I would own an oversize iPod touch! Lol

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
~

I said I wasn't going to respond to you...but I just had to show the board to counter your denial.

1. Look below...are you already forgetting what you have posted?
Then I don't understand what the problem is. Seriously dude, you sound like you spent your last $800 on a XOOM, have no recourse to return it, and you are bitter you didn't buy an iPad2. That's exactly how you sound.
Re-read it dude. It's a comparison. I was saying that's how over the top you sound. Who doesn't have recourse to get a different tablet? To underscore the idea it was a comparison, I ended with "That's exactly how you sound." I was trying to say you sounded like a cornered dog. (Please don't accuse me now of calling you a dog. I'm just making another comparison.) If I was trying to actually say you don't have recourse, I would have just said it... but again, that would be ridiculous. It's a free country, of course you have recourse.

2. Lag, stutter, freeze..whatever it is...I'm not familar with the technical terms...lets just call it a lack of smoothness.
OMG. Do we have one dimension of agreement?! Be still my heart.

3. You said you have never experienced this lack of smoothness, yet you do now..please make up your mind already
No, I said I haven't experienced lag. And I've been saying that for quite some time. As far as the "lack of smoothness", I said I never noticed it. Now that it's been brought to my attention and know what to look for, yes, I can see it. I think it's about as important an issue as a pimple on an elephant's butt, but I can see it.

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Any one else still experience the text input delay in the browser?

That's something I have definitely noticed. It seems to be worse on some sites than others. On sites that are really bad I usually just type it in another app and copy and paste it over. It's certainly not ideal, but it's a decent enough workaround.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I respect your rant! My PDF files are horrible thus far... If I could I would get the Ipad2 ~ I don't care about Widgets or custom screens! I want a device that fits my needs.

I know updates will fix a lot of the device problems but...Wow I just said I would own an oversize iPod touch! Lol

yea....it seems to be more program dependent...repligoreader is by far the worse one I have noticed. quick office and docs 2 go handle it well....but not as well as you would want from a dual 1ghz CPU

OK you two. You both disagree and that's fine. Now lets move on and be done with it.

I believe we are done exchanging jabs....I believe we both did it respecteablly with out flaming and name calling......but moving on..thank you.

That's something I have definitely noticed. It seems to be worse on some sites than others. On sites that are really bad I usually just type it in another app and copy and paste it over. It's certainly not ideal, but it's a decent enough workaround.

lol....typing in another app and copying and pasting in? sure it works, but should we really be doing that on a $600--800 tablet? Maybe on one of those cheap $200 viewsonic tablets it may be acceptable, but not for google's flagship tablet product.
All I can say is WOW!

wow that these issues still exist or wow that someone who paid $600 actually wants it to work the way it was intended to?

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
lol....typing in another app and copying and pasting in? sure it works, but should we really be doing that on a $600--800 tablet? Maybe on one of those cheap $200 viewsonic tablets it may be acceptable, but not for google's flagship tablet product.

Jesus christ man, I just agreed with you that it's a problem. Stop being so hostile about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk