should I buy?

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just graduated from high school and I've been getting gifts ($$) from people. I've been trying to figure out what I wanted to do with it.

Is the Xoom really worth the price tag?

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Some people say yes, others say no. At this point, with Galaxy 10.1 launching, I don't know until I see one myself.

I personally think my Xoom was well worth the price, given that I actually paid more for iPad 1 (64GB+3G) which I returned after a month and replaced it with Xoom. Couldn't be happier.

AsteriskCGY

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Well staring at the deal off ebay. Its 100 off, with tax. Sale ends in like 2 hours.
Doesn't look like its rootable, or does it even need to be.
I'm basically deciding between this or rooting a nook color at half the price. I'm looking at the Xoom cause it seems to do media playback better. And this sale.

Reactions: nickel3956

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Also think about when you will need a tablet. Put the money aside. Wait a couple/few months, then take a look at what's out there. You'll still have it in time for college and you may be very glad you waited.

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Are you set on buying a tablet, or are you asking if a tablet is a good idea?

If you want a tablet, it depends what you want it for, and what type of person you are.

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm kinda asking if a tablet would be a good idea. Would it be useful for college or something like that or will it just be another device that sits in my dorm?

Girth

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I use my tablet as a much light weight replacement for my heavy as hell textbooks as well as helping me organize my study schedule. It doesn't work so well as a not taking machine but I haven't paired it with a keyboard yet. I also use it to read a lot of comic books. It is a really versatile machine and only thing I wish it had was software that handled mathematical symbols in an editable text document better.

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
is it easy to find digital copies of your textbooks? i wish there was more developer support for students. I found a great app with a great dev back on my Pre and I miss having apps meant just for me.

I've looked at the "officially unofficial" list of apps for tablets, but would you say there are enough tablet-optimized apps to make the device useful?

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It's not a complete computer replacement, so you would still need that, but it does take care of a lot of the tasks you can do on a laptop. For what I used my laptop for, it's a replacement. If you can find electronic copies of your textbooks, which a lot of publishers do offer (and cheaper, too), then even better.

As far as using it in class, it depends on what type of classes you're going to be taking. I'm an engineering major, and there's no way I'm going to try to type out equations/diagrams, so I find myself writing everything either way. If you can go your whole lecture by just typing, then a tablet would suffice.

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I understand that it's not going to replace my computer/laptop, I want to study Computer Science and I haven't seen any apps that let you code programs on them (although that would be awesome) but I know at least the first year I'll be taking basic, core classes and it could come in handy.

eBay is having some sort of sale right now on wifi only Xooms and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it right now. $100 off with free shipping is really hard to resist lol

AsteriskCGY

May 17, 2011
Visit site
At some point you will need a keyboard and mouse to do any real work. A tablet performs as a really big smart phone at the moment. On that same note, why isn't there an eclipse app out yet? Sure it would be the last thing you might be able to program on (who wants to fat finger code), but it would be nice to maybe write up a quick script for the tablet itself on the tablet.

Just bought that deal myself, free shipping, but with CA tax. A 558 total for me. Just saw Asus Eee Transformer deal on newegg for the same price though.

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
it would be really cool to have an eclipse app so you could easily demonstrate some simple concept on the go.

i would love to get this deal, but my mom has some problem with the seller :(