Switched from IPhone to Samsung Captivate

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Last month I switched from IPhone to the Samsung Captivate. Everything was fine I was able to get everything set up even downloaded some apps. Then I had an issue with gmail/google and had to delete my email and create a new one. The Tech office said I would have to do a factory reset and then create a new email for the market place. I did that and then could not enter the market I would receive a message saying server error has occured. I called tech office again and they said to do a manual reset with the volume and power buttons I did that as well, no luck. Then I read some forums and did what they said. I went to manage applications all force stop and clear cache and data. I did all that and I still cannot get into the market. As I said before, I could when I got the phone, but after the resets now I cannot. I have had the phone less than a month. I love the phone but would like to get into the market to download some apps. Can anyone please help me and suggest something else to try?

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
To RUSHRL: I did not know you could remove the market. If I remove it how could I get it back. There are some apps I want on my phone and I can only get them through the market. If I can get it back tell me how please.

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
To TROOPER: I noticed that the email address they had for me was not correct and it was so closely related to someone elses that they would do a password reset under forgot password thinking it was their account. I needed to deleted my misspelled account and create the new one. Now I wish I had left well enough alone and left it spelled wrong. At least back at that time I could access the market.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
To TROOPER: I noticed that the email address they had for me was not correct and it was so closely related to someone elses that they would do a password reset under forgot password thinking it was their account. I needed to deleted my misspelled account and create the new one. Now I wish I had left well enough alone and left it spelled wrong. At least back at that time I could access the market.

yeah this server thing has been a problem for people and most of the time you need to do a factory reset, let me ask you
are you able to get to your gmail account over the computer?
when you did the clear cache and data, did you also try uninstalling updates if that option is available to you from that same screen?

Reactions: Imredeemed

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
To DroidXCon: Yes I can access my gmail account from the computer. The new one I set up not the old one I deleted. I also can access it from the browser on my phone itself. And access it from the preinstalled Gmail icon. Is there something I can do through the computer? There was no place on that screen that said anything about updates, so I could not delete or stop that.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
not that i know of, i am just trying to find the root of the problem, im not aware of this happening to any other phone besides captivate... are you able to sync your contacts and gmail to google?

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about that. I have not tried to sync any contacts and such. I know on the accounts and sync page it shows the correct email account and the sync button is lit green and background and autosync are both green checkmarked.

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
DroidXCon: someone else on here suggested I take it to an ATT store and see if they could swap this phone for another one just like it. Or going through the warrently repair, but I don't want to do that necessarily. The phone and everything else works great its just this server error message when I try to access the market. I guess I could just not put any apps on my phone and use it like it is. Is there an online store where you can download free or paid apps, like the apple iphone itunes store? If they had an online store I could browse, find the apps I had before reset and download from computer to phone. Is it possible?

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
well do you have your numbers backed up some other way??

if so, go to account & sync, touch the google account you are using, and the next screen should give you the option to sync things

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
DroidXcon: by doing the sync process does it erase your numbers? Is that why you asked if I had them saved somewhere else? I currently have an sd card in my phone. I always took it out when I did those resets so the contacts should still be on there. Should I take out the sd card before I sync contacts or will it leave them on it, if it is still in the phone?

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DroidXcon: by doing the sync process does it erase your numbers? Is that why you asked if I had them saved somewhere else? I currently have an sd card in my phone. I always took it out when I did those resets so the contacts should still be on there.

I always get confused about syncing on google, if is a push or pull so yeah i was just nervous it would erase your numbers but i dont think it will,,,,but if you exported your contacts to your SD card try it,,,,i have a copy of my contacts on my SD card, my computer, i use verizon backup asistant and google contacts lol yeah im a little paranoid about contacts lol

i want to establish whether or not they are communitcating

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DroidXCon: someone else on here suggested I take it to an ATT store and see if they could swap this phone for another one just like it. Or going through the warrently repair, but I don't want to do that necessarily. The phone and everything else works great its just this server error message when I try to access the market. I guess I could just not put any apps on my phone and use it like it is. Is there an online store where you can download free or paid apps, like the apple iphone itunes store? If they had an online store I could browse, find the apps I had before reset and download from computer to phone. Is it possible?

i dont know that its possible even app brain sends you to the market to download. anyway you need your phone running....... if all else fails i would do another factory reset.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you're still having issues with the market then do a partial reset(Factory data reset) of the decice. Sign back into your gmail account and you should have access to the android market.

If clearing data and cache don't fix the problem - then proceed with the step above.
On home screen tap menu...then settings - then tap applications - then manage application - than tap market and clear data & cache, and if there is an option to uninstall updates then tap that too.
To reinstall the market go to your apps and tap market and follow prompt.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty