Thinking of changing

Torque_beast

Jul 30, 2017
Visit site
Been with Apple for several years now but am getting fed up with some things and looking to switch back to android. Been researching for weeks but can’t find what I’m looking for. Was leaning toward the pixel 2 due to it being secure and getting updates and camera but hen read a lot of bad reviews. Looked at S8 but hen read about becoming laggy and no updates. Read some good things about the note 8 but it may be too big. What do you recommend AND can bloat crap be removed from phones? Can’t stand the bloat they put on phones. Actually one of the reasons I went to Apple

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I just got my Pixel 2 XL, and I can honestly say that the screen is fine. Colors look normal to me ("punchy" colors are abnormal, after all), and the mild blue-tint upon shifting viewing angle is not of concern, since I look at my phone head-on all the time. Performance is awesome, camera is awesome, front-facing stereo speakers are awesome, battery is awesome. If the price is a concern, consider the 1st gen Pixel XL, which you'll be able to get at a much lower price now, and which is still a great phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, welcome.

What are you not liking about the Pixel 2? If it's the display issues, I'd say go check out a few in a Verizon store or a Best Buy. So far that issue seems to be way overblown. The color thing is just that the display is set to sRGB... same as your iPhone. Otherwise, on the Note 8, you cannot remove most of the bloatware by default, but you can install an app called "package disabler pro" which allows you to go in and remove stuff at a service level. If you're looking for an easy as iOS type experience, that's not it. The phone's great, but not that one aspect of it and as you already know updates, both security and firmware updates, are unacceptably slow and/or MIA.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
🙋I suggested elsewhere that you post here so thanks for doing so.
I told you you'd get some device suggestions. :)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central!

Maybe pixel 2, but Galaxy S8 is a great phone and the bloat you can't remove at least you can deactivate.

I have been using Samsung for a while; GS4, GS5, GS6 edge, GS7 edge and now the great Note 8, no issues so far.

Whichever phone you decide on, let us know what you get and how you like it.

Enjoy and have fun!

Sent From Inside the TARDIS with my Note 8

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! We'd be more than willing to help you out with your decision!

Firstly, what do you use your phone for? Do you watch movies a lot, or play games on your phone?

Buying phones unlocked will immediately eliminate much of the bloatware you'll find on a device; compared to when you buy through your carrier. Some brands, like Samsung, do carry manufacturer-specific bloatware; so that is also something to consider.

With regards to recommendations for you, there are also some awesome midrange phones (phones with specs similar or on par with flagship phone specs; sans some bells and whistles) that may appeal to you. The OnePlus 5 is a great buy with good specs. And if you want a phone with an impressive battery life, I hands-down recommend the Moto Z Play or the Moto Z2 Play.

Let us know what you decide, and let us know if we can be of further help to you!

Torque_beast

Jul 30, 2017
Visit site
Thx for the replies and sorry for the delayed response it had been a little busy around here. I use my phone to watch videos, on forums (like this) a lot, talk A LOT for work, occasionally download 45-50 page PDF profiles to view and listen to music at the gym with Bluetooth earbuds. Also the occasional movie while flying. Main concern is security and getting updates but I like the note 8 for the times I view PDF profiles so I can edit them. I did look at the one+5 and it has some good specs but not water resistant. Need to be able to carry in my pocket.

Torque_beast

Jul 30, 2017
Visit site
Can get an unlocked note 8 for 650 and pixel 2 xl 850. Which would you pick and why? Pixel has Oreo and better updates—note has stylus and cheaper price