new to the android family

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from having an iPhone for a long time. Still figuring my galaxy S8+. What texting apps, email apps, and anything else you all might recommend?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! We are glad you are here! Good choice with your Samsung Galaxy S8+!

Having transitioned from BlackBerry to Android a few years back, I can definitely understand the feelings you are experiencing. We are here to help! I'm sure within a few days, you'll have everything figured out!

As far as texting apps, I hands-down recommend Textra. It's a great app that has a ton of customizable features - you can customize your text bubbles and bubble colours; you can set text notifications per contact (my favourite part ever); you can use a light/dark theme; and more. I recommend upgrading to the Pro version as well - the app development team are super speedy at answering client questions and troubleshoot very effectively and quickly.

I don't use any special email apps - just the stock email app that came with my phone. However, I am sure that other users here will be able to help you in that department!

With regards to other apps to download, I highly recommend Zedge. It's a free wallpaper/ringtone/notification app. If you love assigning different ringtones and text notifications for different contacts, I highly recommend it. They have everything! For example, my brother's ringtone is the 1960's Spider-Man theme song... This app is amazing.

Please feel free to post questions and to head on over to the S8+ sub-forums - they are quite active. Enjoy yourself here!

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Welcome.
For email I use Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo apps. I do not use the native email app.
For texting I used the default Samsung texting app.
Pretty much everything else is Google service based - Keep for notes, Drive for cloud storage, Google Photos for photo backup etc.
I also use Microsoft One Note and One Drive for my office files. I used Word, Excel and PowerPoint quite a bit.

This is my setup regardless of the Android device.
I used S7edge, S8 and Note 8 in 2017 from Samsung.

Most likely will get a S9 and Note 9 later this year as well.

Currently I am using Pixel 2 and 2 XL.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Definitely Textra for texting...change your launcher to Nova. There are numerous email apps. Gmail, bluemail, etc. Even the stock app is fine.

You're gonna love S8+ it is a beast.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome! :)
If you don't have it already, grab Google's Find My Device app from the Play Store.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome Jamie!
I'm a longtime Android user and I'm currently using a Google Pixel 2 XL 128.
For email I use Microsoft Outlook 365 and I have my own mail server on GoDaddy.com.
For texting I've stayed with the default Google Messages texting app.