OEM Bumper vs Rearth Ringke Slim vs Nillkin Hard Case Review

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So I got a little carried away and bought three cases for the Nexus 4. Wanted to give my review of all three.

OEM Bumper - I was sad that they were sold out for so long so when they restocked them I jumped to buy one even though I had two other cases. It arrived quickly but I think I am going to sell it or return it. I like how the glass backing is still visible as the reflection glass is a very nice part of the phone. However, the bumper adds too much width and although it only adds thickness on the sides, it makes it feel as if the entire phone is 30% larger and bulky. It would give good protection since it is soft but it just feels awkward in the hand. The boxy gate at the bottom also feels strange when it rests on my pinky finger. Any one want to buy a bumper? ;)

Rearth Ringke Slim - I received this case from their botched first batch but also just received the second run. Pretty stand up company.. they shipped me a replacement for no additional cost. The second run is much better. The case is VERY thin and the second run fits the phone a lot more snug. The case is fairly difficult to remove once on the phone. This may keep it on better but was more of an annoyance than a benefit. This is def the most minimal hard case you can get. It would give some protection but mainly is to prevent scratches. The back of the case is very smooth and doesnt add the much needed grip that I was looking for. If you want the thinnest case and that is priority #1 then this is the case for you. The case is a bit rough on the edges and just feels like it was rushed and doesnt have the polish the Nilikin does.

Nillkin Hard Case - I have mentioned in other threads that this case is great. It is similar to the Rearth case but it has grip on the back and is slightly thicker in the right places. The added thickness does not make the phone feel any bigger than the rearth but feels much more solid and the textured back grip is awesome. I would say this is the best overall case if you do not mind covering the back of the phone. I really wanted the bumper to work out as I love the nexus logo and back but this case feels so much better in hand.

So which case am I going to use on a day to day basis? NONE. I have gotten over the fear of the glass back and am going to rock the phone naked the majority of the time. I will throw on the Nillikin when i feel like i need some additional protection when I am hiking or going to a concert or something but I think that people over stated how fragile the glass back it. The phone feels too good in hand to warrant using a case if I feel I dont have to.

Edit : after further analysis the Rearth case has grown on me a bit. I feel like it doesn't provide as much protection and it's back lacks the texture, but the case doesnt come up as far on the sides which is better for gesture typing. It instead has a lip on the four corners to keep the phone locked in and elevate the screen a tiny bit when set down face first. I'd still say Nilikin is my fav but I think they are both reasonable options

dsc05457.jpg

Last edited:

trife

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Nice reviews.

My Nillkin came in yesterday and I have to say that I'm highly impressed. For $9, it is much more than I expected.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
hopefully my Nillkin will be here today. been looking out for it this whole week. everyday I was disappointed when I opened my mail box :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
i don't understand how a bumper adds width to a phone, but a case doesn't. both those cases have some width to the side of the phone.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i don't understand how a bumper adds width to a phone, but a case doesn't. both those cases have some width to the side of the phone.

the answer is pretty obvious, cause they are a lot thinner than the bumper.

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

i figured the bumpers would be hollow inside except for the buttons so that it would "hug" the sides but i've never see it personally so idk.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

sorry I guess that sounded like a smartass answer. from what I read and the videos I saw, it's a pretty thick strip that hugs onto the phone.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Awesome review, I ordered the Nillkin quite some time ago but hasn't arrived, I'll do a more in depth review (since I only have one case).

Do you feel like the rearth and nillkin can drop from 4feet high falls?

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Awesome review, I ordered the Nillkin quite some time ago but hasn't arrived, I'll do a more in depth review (since I only have one case).

Do you feel like the rearth and nillkin can drop from 4feet high falls?

bummer hopefully it will arrive soon. 4 feet would not be pretty but i can 100% say they phone would fair better with the case than without for sure.

Trust me once you get your hands on it you will understand.

Kellex from Droidlife just reviewed the Rearth case and said they following.

"Oh, I also ditched my official Nexus 4 bumper already, as it added too much bulk for my liking. This is my case of choice. [...] Less than 2 hours I think. Ran that bumper video last night, was all excited, and then these cases showed up before I left the house for the night. Switched immediately."

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
bummer hopefully it will arrive soon. 4 feet would not be pretty but i can 100% say they phone would fair better with the case than without for sure.

Trust me once you get your hands on it you will understand.
I also ordered the Nilikin and was trying to get a bumper so I appreciated your time to do this review. One question regarding going naked. A lot of people are complaining about the phone sliding and scratching the back. Do you think a Body wrap would help the sliding? I ordered one of these too and would like to have the option of going case free like you suggested if I can not have the phone sliding all over the place.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My Rearth case is so thin, we are talking something like a 1-2mm added in width? That bumper looks like it adds quite a bit more than that to each side.

But if dropped and hit on it's side, I would put money on the bumper doing a better job than the Rearth.

The Rearth I'm just wanted protection from cosmetic damage really and maybe a little more stickyness when put on table or holding.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping that I just get used to the width of the bumper case. If not, after I'm over showing off my phone, I'll probably pick up a Nillkin. They look really nice.

jordandj24

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I received my Nillkin case today. I've been using the bumper for about five days and it did take some getting used to (the extra width). I like the feel of the phone better with the bumper than with the Nillkin case. While accessing the buttons seems a bit harder with the Nillkin, it does fit the phone like a glove. I will give this case a few days to see if it grows on me. At this point I can see myself using the bumper regularly and switching to the hard case for when I'm going out to party or somewhere I would be concerned about dropping my phone.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I received my Nillkin case today. I've been using the bumper for about five days and it did take some getting used to (the extra width). I like the feel of the phone better with the bumper than with the Nillkin case. While accessing the buttons seems a bit harder with the Nillkin, it does fit the phone like a glove. I will give this case a few days to see if it grows on me. At this point I can see myself using the bumper regularly and switching to the hard case for when I'm going out to party or somewhere I would be concerned about dropping my phone.
Does the bumper lift the back of the phone up slightly to allow the sound out better?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I had a bumper, which I already sold. And I just got the Ringke Slim case yesterday.

The bumper was quite nice, felt very quality. The buttons were really easy to use and it helped protect the front and back by raising them a bit. But I didn't really like the bulk it added to the phone. And I found myself wishing the lip around the front glass wasn't quite as large.

I had a Ringke Slim with my Galaxy Nexus and it was quite nice. But was also quite expensive, think I paid $25 for it. The Ringke Slim for the Nexus 4 is quite a bit cheaper at only $10. And it looks like they saved some of the money by cutting back on the retail packaging. Now it just arrives in a plain brown box with ziplock bag, which is fine with me. The Nexus 4 Slim case also feels a bit "cheaper". It's thinner, which is a good thing. Doesn't have usb and mic port covers, which I removed anyway, and doesn't have that protective padding on the inside. It's no frills and thinner, and a lot cheaper, and I like this more than the Galaxy Nexus version because of it. It fits like a glove, the sides don't obstruct the glass at all, the four corners have a small lip that raise the phone a little bit off the surface. It's still a pain in the ass to remove and I worry how the case creeks as I try to remove it, worried it might break because it's so thin and still hard to take off. Obviously this is a case that is meant to be put on and left on. The buttons are a little more difficult to use, but not much.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I want your bumper! Thanks a bunch for the review.

Sold and shipped to you =)

I had a bumper, which I already sold. And I just got the Ringke Slim case yesterday.

The bumper was quite nice, felt very quality. The buttons were really easy to use and it helped protect the front and back by raising them a bit. But I didn't really like the bulk it added to the phone. And I found myself wishing the lip around the front glass wasn't quite as large.

I had a Ringke Slim with my Galaxy Nexus and it was quite nice. But was also quite expensive, think I paid $25 for it. The Ringke Slim for the Nexus 4 is quite a bit cheaper at only $10. And it looks like they saved some of the money by cutting back on the retail packaging. Now it just arrives in a plain brown box with ziplock bag, which is fine with me. The Nexus 4 Slim case also feels a bit "cheaper". It's thinner, which is a good thing. Doesn't have usb and mic port covers, which I removed anyway, and doesn't have that protective padding on the inside. It's no frills and thinner, and a lot cheaper, and I like this more than the Galaxy Nexus version because of it. It fits like a glove, the sides don't obstruct the glass at all, the four corners have a small lip that raise the phone a little bit off the surface. It's still a pain in the ass to remove and I worry how the case creeks as I try to remove it, worried it might break because it's so thin and still hard to take off. Obviously this is a case that is meant to be put on and left on. The buttons are a little more difficult to use, but not much.

This is exactly the main reason i prefer the Nilikin case. It comes on an off SOO much easier. I LOVE the feeling of the phone without a case and want to just put the case on when i feel like life is about to get dangerous. You literally have to pry the rearth case off with two hands. I would only recommend it if you are going to leave it on.

NexusOneto4

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Sold and shipped to you =)

This is exactly the main reason i prefer the Nilikin case. It comes on an off SOO much easier. I LOVE the feeling of the phone without a case and want to just put the case on when i feel like life is about to get dangerous. You literally have to pry the rearth case off with two hands. I would only recommend it if you are going to leave it on.

You the man Drome...watch me hate it and then sell it again to someone on here too. Stay tuned folks(I ordered the Nilkin too, haven't got it yet).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas