Spigen Ultra Thin Air?

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I was looking on the official spigen site and came across a case called "ultra thin air" seen here Spigen Nexus 5 Case Ultra Thin Air | Spigen

I did an amazon search for this case and the first result was for this spigen case http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G6...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3599816

They look identical to me but the one on amazon is $10 cheaper. Does anybody happen to have this case or could weigh in on the thought that these are the same case just named differently on amazon? Have named seen the "ultra thin AIR" case anywhere else. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I was looking on the official spigen site and came across a case called "ultra thin air" seen here Spigen Nexus 5 Case Ultra Thin Air | Spigen

I did an amazon search for this case and the first result was for this spigen case http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G6...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3600208

They look identical to me but the one on amazon is $10 cheaper. Does anybody happen to have this case or could weigh in on the thought that these are the same case just named differently on amazon? Have named seen the "ultra thin AIR" case anywhere else. Thanks

After close examination, I think they are the same case. They just call it something different on Amazon. Here's a link to the case for US Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/NON-SLIP-Spig...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3600208

But, several people in the review section said the case scratched their phone up. Personally, I wouldn't get this case. I think the Ringke crystal clear case would be a better choice. Not quite as thin, but looks good.

Last edited:

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
After close examination, I think they are the same case. They just call it something different on Amazon. Here's a link to the case for US Amazon. Amazon.com: [+Screen Film] [NON-SLIP GRIP / NEXUS 5 TEXTURE] Spigen Nexus 5 Case SLIM [Ultra Fit] [Black] *BETTER FIT* Japanese Screen Protector Included + Premium Hard Snap On Case with Non-Slip Surface and Excellent Grip - ECO-Friendly Packaging -

But, several people in the review section said the case scratched their phone up. Personally, I wouldn't get this case. I think the Ringke crystal clear case would be a better choice. Not quite as thin, but looks good.

It is the same case - model number (for same color) matches the one in the OP.

I'm surprised to hear it's had some negative reviews. I've had it since November, have had it in pockets with keys, loose change, etc, and have no scratches whatsoever on mine. I love the fact that it leaves the buttons directly open as opposed to using 'caps' that don't have the same responsive feel. By far the best case I've ever owned (when not seeking extreme protection).

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
By far the best case I've ever owned (when not seeking extreme protection).

Then again, most people think the choices they make are the best. No one wants to be second best. Btw, the damage I referred to was not the protection factor, but damage caused by the case itself. It apparently has sharp edges that cut into the case. I'm not buying it, so I really don't care.

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I read about a popular case for the nexus 5a couple months ago that had a lot of complaints from people about something (maybe this one?) And they redesigned it. Not sure if it was Spigen or another case maker.

Last edited:

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Then again, most people think the choices they make are the best. No one wants to be second best. Btw, the damage I referred to was not the protection factor, but damage caused by the case itself. It apparently has sharp edges that cut into the case. I'm not buying it, so I really don't care.

Not sure what your point is... Opinions are pretty fundamental to a forum discussion. Yes, it's my opinion, much like it was your opinion that you wouldn't get the case base on the posted experience you found by some others. I presented mine for the OP's consideration based on my personal firsthand experience, in that of the five different cases I personally tried, it was, in my opinion, equal to or better than any other cases in category in every respect (the material feels like the OEM material, is extremely slim in profile so hardly makes the phone feel larger than it is naked, doesn't impact the feel of the buttons as it doesn't cover them, and offers a thin lip to protect the screen when the phone is lain face down).

I do agree, though, that often people's opinions of what is best can be problematic, as often people will publicly praise a product/service they use when it's the only one with which they've had any experience, leaving them speaking from a very narrow perspective.

Regarding damage, thanks for the clarification. As to damage to the phone by the case, while I can't vouch for others, I have had absolutely none. It's worth noting that while I don't always have it in that case, I also don't pop it in and out of the case on a daily basis. The latter will contribute to fatigue of the materials of both the case and phone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So what's the best case can you recommend?

What is "best" for me or for anyone else individually will often be different than what is "best" for you - it depends on what you're looking for from a case, and relative importance of those factors. Does it need to be slim/waterproof/have a front cover/be "Qi-friendly"/have an integrated charger/have a belt clip/have credit card or other pockets/etc.... There are minimalist cases, designer cases in hand-tooled leathers, folios, flap jackets, cases with built-in screen protectors, and so forth - best bet is to decide what you're looking for in a case first, then explore some of the options (many of which are discussed in this subforum).