OTA Updates - Or Lack of!

Bierich

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So, I just made a carrier change, and while at the store I swapped in my new SIM (T Mobile) and immediately received notification of a system update. It was the November security update; my 5X is now at MDB08L.

You're still one behind. Current one is MDB08M.

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You're still one behind. Current one is MDB08M.

Wasn't trying to insinuate I was at the latest, but after sitting with a Verizon SIM in my 5X for nearly two weeks and no OTAs; ~30 seconds with a T-Mobile SIM and my 5X receives an update. Perhaps coincidental and I would have received it today without switching carriers, but it does seem to indicate Verizon may be doing something nefarious.

Bierich

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't trying to insinuate I was at the latest, but after sitting with a Verizon SIM in my 5X for nearly two weeks and no OTAs; ~30 seconds with a T-Mobile SIM and my 5X receives an update. Perhaps coincidental and I would have received it today without switching carriers, but it does seem to indicate Verizon may be doing something nefarious.
Only way to be on the latest methinks is to update via pc and the sdk. Got tired of waiting after several attempts and 3 hours later on WiFi with the sim removed to prove my theory that Verizon is somehow blocking updates since they don't support the phone.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Similar situation for me as most others with Verizon. Got the phone said there was an update, put a Verizon SIM card in and the update vanished. Turned off the phone, took out the Verizon SIM, put in a T-Mobile SIM, restarted and boom update available.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Well this is a bummer. For those using Project Fi, how are you liking it? I really may consider switching, provided I can keep my number, if Verizon is going to be playing games with updates. VZW coverage is kinda crappy around here anyway.

strawbee

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Just popped out my SIM. Probably going to leave it overnight to see if it gets the updates. I'm also on Verizon. Had the thing for almost 15 days now.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Project Fi coverage and signal have been excellent. Call quality is amazing compared to Verizon on the 5X. However, I ported my Google Voice number to Project Fi and there was some sort of issue that caused me to not be able to text. They are currently working on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Josh Burchell

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both have 5X's on Verizon. We received OTA update to MDB08L a couple hours ago. One came automatically and the other got the update after a system update check.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
no update even with WiFi overnight. I don't really want to have to wipe the phone

Yeah this is very annoying. I just found out I'm still under contract with Verizon through next year (we have several lines on a family plan, hard to keep track with all the upgrade swapping over the years) so I don't think I'll be able to switch to Fi or any other carrier anytime soon. I've done a little googling and haven't found anything about this issue with Verizon preventing updates. I figured Android Central or some other tech site would have picked up the story by now.

EDIT: Josh, I read your post right after I posted mine. Went and checked for an update, and lo and behold, there she was. I take back everything I said about Verizon haha.

Josh Burchell

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if the hold up was Verizon or not, we swapped phones exactly 2 weeks ago and was on the original build until getting L tonight. I was getting worried as well but was ecstatic when I saw the update come thru tonight. Makes me love the 5x even more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87