What's the latest on Oreo?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't follow the 5X too closely, so apologies in advance...

My daily phone is a Pixel XL which was on the Oreo beta program and, of course, got the Oreo released version within a day or so of it going live.

I use a 5X as a bike computer and added it to the beta program just so I could get the Oreo release without waiting for it; downloaded and installed within an hour or two of joining the beta program.

My wife's 5X, on the other hand (never part of the beta program), is still stuck on 7.x and I see no signs of the Oreo OTA update. What's up with that?

All of these phones are on Project Fi, by the way.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a new Nexus 6p from an individual where it had just been sitting sealed in box at his house for over two years. When I charged it for the first time and booted it up the Oreo update was one of my first updates waiting on me. Then a buddy of mine has the same exact 6p that I do but he has not gotten Oreo yet which I wonder why. I thought all the Nexus devices were running Oreo or at least the 5x and the 6p were.

jwp1223

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't follow the 5X too closely, so apologies in advance...

My daily phone is a Pixel XL which was on the Oreo beta program and, of course, got the Oreo released version within a day or so of it going live.

I use a 5X as a bike computer and added it to the beta program just so I could get the Oreo release without waiting for it; downloaded and installed within an hour or two of joining the beta program.

My wife's 5X, on the other hand (never part of the beta program), is still stuck on 7.x and I see no signs of the Oreo OTA update. What's up with that?

All of these phones are on Project Fi, by the way.

I have it.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I do not yet have it. It appears that people either got it right away (or within two weeks of release) or did not get it at all. I've had several chats with Google over the last two weeks asking about it - including one last night - and they all assured me that it is still rolling out. Last night they even asked for my IEMI number, so perhaps they even checked to see if mine was on the list? Who knows. The person said that if I don't get it in a few days to contact them again. That's what they all said.

I got all of the 7.x.x updates right away as well as all of the monthly security updates, but now I am stuck on 7.1.2 with the August security update. Like I said in other threads, I don't even care about Oreo, but I do care about the security udpates and getting Oreo is the only way to get the security updates for Sept/Oct.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I do not yet have it. It appears that people either got it right away (or within two weeks of release) or did not get it at all. I've had several chats with Google over the last two weeks asking about it - including one last night - and they all assured me that it is still rolling out. Last night they even asked for my IEMI number, so perhaps they even checked to see if mine was on the list? Who knows. The person said that if I don't get it in a few days to contact them again. That's what they all said.

I got all of the 7.x.x updates right away as well as all of the monthly security updates, but now I am stuck on 7.1.2 with the August security update. Like I said in other threads, I don't even care about Oreo, but I do care about the security udpates and getting Oreo is the only way to get the security updates for Sept/Oct.

You could always do what I did with my "bike" 5X - join the beta program now and you will immediately receive the Oreo released version. Go to https://www.google.com/android/beta

ScottEmery

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I have a Nexus 5X, obtained in July 2016 when I signed up for Google Fi, and I have not been offered to upgrade to Oreo yet. I occasionally select Settings-> About Phone -> System Updates -> Check for update, but it has always come back with "Your system is up to date". I'm on Android version 7.1.2 with Security patch level: August 5, 2017. I'd rather not join the beta program just to get the update. Since it was announced over two months ago, I'm beginning to worry that my phone will never be offered the update.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I have a Nexus 5X, obtained in July 2016 when I signed up for Google Fi, and I have not been offered to upgrade to Oreo yet. I occasionally select Settings-> About Phone -> System Updates -> Check for update, but it has always come back with "Your system is up to date". I'm on Android version 7.1.2 with Security patch level: August 5, 2017. I'd rather not join the beta program just to get the update. Since it was announced over two months ago, I'm beginning to worry that my phone will never be offered the update.

Yeah, that's my worry, too. I've waited two or three weeks before - I'm quite patient. I understand the slow release rollout. But this is to the point that I really want someone to either tell me that something is wrong with my phone (I got it as a replacement via Nexus Protect, but it has received all updates until now), that there's a known problem with Oreo on the 5x and they paused the release until the bugs were worked out (which would be fine with me - enough people seem to have Oreo-related issues that it's a reasonable thought), or that the release is still truly in rollout phase. At this point all I can get from Google is "it should get to you soon" many different definitions of "soon" ago.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's my worry, too. I've waited two or three weeks before - I'm quite patient. I understand the slow release rollout. But this is to the point that I really want someone to either tell me that something is wrong with my phone (I got it as a replacement via Nexus Protect, but it has received all updates until now), that there's a known problem with Oreo on the 5x and they paused the release until the bugs were worked out (which would be fine with me - enough people seem to have Oreo-related issues that it's a reasonable thought), or that the release is still truly in rollout phase. At this point all I can get from Google is "it should get to you soon" many different definitions of "soon" ago.

I finally got my update this afternoon via a manual check (about my millionth check of the week).

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
How's her battery life? After getting oreo, my battery life is atrocious.

She hasn't complained yet, but it has only been installed for about 48 hours.

Try rebooting your phone again. If you were previously using any developer's options, try disabling them.

You might want to try wiping the cache partition also:

ScottEmery

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Post (#8) follow-up: I was offered the upgrade to Oreo this morning (Oct 16, 2017). I've installed it and it now says I'm running Android version: 8.0.0 with Security patch level: October 5, 2017. So I'm glad that I finally got Oreo on my Nexus 5X!

I assume this doesn't include the patch for the KRACK Wifi vulnerability, which will come out next month.

ca_steve

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Oreo became available on my 5X via Project Fi yesterday. Haven't downloaded it, yet. Waiting for you test gerbils to find the bugs :)

Actually, I'm waiting for the Moto X4 to be reviewed/tested to see if it's a good 5X replacement. The LG/5X bootloop issues with Nougat update makes me want to have a phone to go to in case the 5X croaks with Oreo.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
She hasn't complained yet, but it has only been installed for about 48 hours.

Try rebooting your phone again. If you were previously using any developer's options, try disabling them.

You might want to try wiping the cache partition also:

Still going OK for your wife? My phone has not gotten any better at all. I rebooted, and I cleared cache. I disabled all developer options (The only thing I was doing was decreasing the transition animations). Yesterday I was at the state fair for a few hours, only had the screen on for a short while to send a few texts, and was down well below 40%. Before Oreo, I would probably have been in high 80s or low 90s for the same trip/usage. Today I'm going on a short trip (8 total hours where for 6 of those hours the phone will be in my pocket doing nothing) and I'm forced to bring my large battery travel charger - something I'd definitely not have to do before Oreo.

I even tried some changing the GPU renderer as described in articles such as this:
Nexus 5X runs slow after installing Android Oreo [Fix] | Mobile Internist

However, while that may have helped a little bit, it also made some camera and photo tasks impossible. It also doesn't stay after a reboot, so you need to make that change each time the phone reboots.

I'm definitely not a power user in any way - I currently have three photos on my phone, about 1 GB of MP3s, no games, nothing more exotic than Lyft and Netflix. My wife is using my old Nexus 5 (aka the best phone in the world), and the hope was that when I get my Pixel 2 next month, I can give her this phone - a two year newer phone that still gets security updates. Perhaps when I factory reset to give her a clean slate, whatever the issue is will go away. The irony is that her only complaint about the 4 year old Nexus 5 is the battery life!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I actually have noticeably better battery life on 8.0 than on 7.1.2. but it is laggy at times. When leaving work I still have around 60%on average vs being in the 40s on Nought. I'm not using any developer tweaks.