Best Android phone ever made?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
That's actually the title even some iPhone biased sites are headlining. I don't have mine yet. But it's starting to look that way if you judge purely on what we know so far:
  • Glowing reviews by popular digital camera review sites
  • Excellent feedback on almost all hands-on reports for construction quality, hardware/software performance
  • A return to Nexus pricing (only in the USA though)
  • Even iPhone biased sites are raving about it(!?)
  • Best fingerprint reader so far
  • Dedicated co-processor for sensors
  • Cutting edge specs
  • Moto X style ambient display features
  • And of course Nexus updates and bloatware freedom

I have to admit, I'm shocked Google and Huawei collaborated to make this phone because it really makes a tough competitor to OEM partners unlike any previous Nexus has. Unless some quality control issues rear their heads during final reviews after this phone arrives at everyone's doorstep I really don't see a reason to buy an OEM Android this year.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit, I'm shocked Google and Huawei collaborated to make this phone because it really makes a tough competitor to OEM partners unlike any previous Nexus has.

They won't have to worry too much. The phone isn't (and from what I understand, won't ever?) be sold through US carriers, so it's not like the phone will really get a chance to eat into competitors sales.

Though, it does seem like a great device. Really nice, beautiful hardware from Huawei and Google's always great stock software. I don't have the phone, I currently have a Galaxy S6 and I'm prepared to sell it in a heartbeat for the 6P.

Is it the best Android phone ever made? Well that's a very subjective question and can only be answered by an individual who has their own metric for what's good/bad in a phone.

Someone might really love expandable storage and removable battery, in which case, the Nexus 6P isn't even a 'good' phone. Others may consider a phone over 5.2" screen size far too large etc. So I think it's hard to make a sweeping statement about it as we all have our wants and needs. But to me, it looks like a pretty stellar device. The improved battery and camera are the two things I think fans have been wanting for years now, and it seems the 6P truly 'fixes' those two 'issues' this time.

Basically, I can't wait to get hold of it.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
They won't have to worry too much. The phone isn't (and from what I understand, won't ever?) be sold through US carriers, so it's not like the phone will really get a chance to eat into competitors sales.

Though, it does seem like a great device. Really nice, beautiful hardware from Huawei and Google's always great stock software. I don't have the phone, I currently have a Galaxy S6 and I'm prepared to sell it in a heartbeat for the 6P.

Is it the best Android phone ever made? Well that's a very subjective question and can only be answered by an individual who has their own metric for what's good/bad in a phone.

Someone might really love expandable storage and removable battery, in which case, the Nexus 6P isn't even a 'good' phone. Others may consider a phone over 5.2" screen size far too large etc. So I think it's hard to make a sweeping statement about it as we all have our wants and needs. But to me, it looks like a pretty stellar device. The improved battery and camera are the two things I think fans have been wanting for years now, and it seems the 6P truly 'fixes' those two 'issues' this time.

Basically, I can't wait to get hold of it.

The bold is key. Let's start simpler. The best iPhone of all time, frozen in time, was likely the iPhone 4 with the retina display, crazy design, and biggest departure from its previous iteration.

IF I had to pick one "Greatest Android Phone ever", I would be hard pressed to choose something other than the Nexus 5, which is still hugely relevant to the point where people are still using it and a sequel has been specifically designated for it.

Some other Android phones that come to mind: Galaxy S3 (The first great Galaxy phone, IMHO), Motorola Droid (Probably one of the most important phones in terms of marketing and prominence in the US), the Galaxy Nexus, and one of the HTC One phones.

zagcollins

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I think the Samsung Galaxy Note series changed the industry completely, moved phones into the phablet territory in a big way (Hate the term 'phablet'). My Note 2 is still going strong; however, at this point I am ready for separation. Time to move in with the 6P!

The missus owns the Nexus 5 and I think it's superb, except the battery and the camera.

taft

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I would think the Note line is probably the best overall phone line we've gotten to date. There have been great singular phones, but Samsung seem to have nailed the Note year after year.

The Nexus line, on the other hand, has disappointed in some respect throughout the years. This 6P looks to be fantastic, but it will be hard to judge until we really get our hands on it.

Reading some of the (way too) early reviews, my hopes are high for the 6P.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I suspect that next year will bring a 5P and a 6X and we'll be rethinking this again.
I like my N5 however my old HTC desire HD was an amazing phone at the time.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Going forward, since carriers are doing away with subsidized plans, that may very well level the playing field. Granted there are people who are reluctant to buy from anyone but a carrier, but many people shop around online on places like Amazon for their purchases rather than go to their local stores like Walmart. Take away the advantage of subsidized pricing and people may start looking elsewhere. The only thing that Google is missing that carriers and OEMs offer is payment plans for devices. But I imagine that will come from them soon enough as well.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The best phone is pretty subjective.

To folks who want a high-end phone without much cost (and without a stupid invite-system) and a clean Android experience as well as being the first to receive major updates, then the 6P will be the best phone to them. It doesn't mean it's the best phone period, but the best to a specific audience.

As for me, the best Android phone is a tough call. It's kind-of a tie between the HTC One M7 for it's gorgeous design and unmatched build quality at the time, the Galaxy S3 for being a ginormous success for both Samsung and Android as a whole, and the LG Nexus 5 (2013) for just being a perfectly packaged high-end phone for an unbelievable price.

My current favorite of 2015 is the LG G4, though I do like the 6P. Just a bit reserved on the SD810.

I'm asking my dad to see if he could get a Nexus 5X to replace his Redmi Note. Seems to be quite the upgrade.

The Nexus line still remains somewhat close to my heart, because the first Android device I have ever used (not owned) was the Nexus One. Yep, the numero uno Nexus device.

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you could make the argument that it's the best Nexus phone yet. (I'm a 5X user due to my preferred screen size.)
The biggest advantage is getting updates without having to wait for the carrier. If other manufacturers adopt this trend I think we'll see a greatly improve experience even with skinned versions of Android. Android has always pushed the boundaries on specs and now it has a chance to fix it's biggest downfall, software.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
the "best phone ever" is a conversation that I personally don't think is a super relevant one to have. Every phone, especially a "flagship" should be striving to be the "best phone ever." I don't think Samsung goes into the process going, "man, the GS6 is a really great phone, we won't be able to top that, so I guess that means the GS7 will be a worse device"

Every phone should be better than its predecessor. It might not always happen, and it's super subjective. I personally think the GS6 is the best of the S line, but there are people who look at the removal of the battery and SD slot as significantly worse.

There is no such thing as "the best phone ever" because everyone's opinion on what that should be is different.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
the "best phone ever" is a conversation that I personally don't think is a super relevant one to have. Every phone, especially a "flagship" should be striving to be the "best phone ever." I don't think Samsung goes into the process going, "man, the GS6 is a really great phone, we won't be able to top that, so I guess that means the GS7 will be a worse device"

Every phone should be better than its predecessor. It might not always happen, and it's super subjective. I personally think the GS6 is the best of the S line, but there are people who look at the removal of the battery and SD slot as significantly worse.

There is no such thing as "the best phone ever" because everyone's opinion on what that should be is different.

That's funny I was actually just bringing up this point yesterday to my wife. We were watching TV when a iPhone commercial came on that was boasting that the new iPhone is the best iPhone ever... The first thing that sprung to mind was "I sure hope so, it would be pretty stupid to deliberately release a new phone that is worse than the one they made last year"

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but that advertising logic just annoys me.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
on top of that google didn't screw up the launch. this is the phone i have been waiting for a long time.

I have a nexus 4 but resisted nexus 6 and i think that was good move.

Cant wait for my nexus 6p to arrive

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Subjective or not... the amount of praise it is getting from the tech press is a bit surprising (and welcomed). Several high profile sites are gushing over the thing.

Hopefully this will put additional pressure on certain OEMs to leave Android be....

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Subjective or not... the amount of praise it is getting from the tech press is a bit surprising (and welcomed). Several high profile sites are gushing over the thing.

Hopefully this will put additional pressure on certain OEMs to leave Android be....

Wishful thinking but unfortunately not likely. In all honesty, if the OEM Software was installed in a manner that we could just go in and uninstall it all if we didnt want it (similar to a windows OEM desktop experience) that would change the game SO much. The problem with that is the actual underlying code of android is modified to accommodate those skins.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The praise has been encouraging. No big deficiencies that were present in earlier incarnations of nexus phones. I'm happy I pre-ordered.

veritas_vincit

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The best Android device is the one that fits my requirements, meaning that this is relative. I can say that there is a huge variety of device specs out there and given how far we've gotten regarding technology specs and how well can Android OS run in any of them, I can say that depending on what I want to do with a device defines the one to be chosen according to my needs.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

+1 for totally getting it

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that next year will bring a 5P and a 6X and we'll be rethinking this again.
I like my N5 however my old HTC desire HD was an amazing phone at the time.

Good point! Just killed my buzz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty