Owners, is the 6P really a quality product?

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I am so confused as I want a new phone and the Moto X Style was going to be the one but then the 6P was released because of the battery size that is the one I was going to buy but now I am not so sure.

Now forget that bending video which is obviously nonsense but I have read a few posts from owners saying the QC is poor and the phone isn't a premium phone! So I just want honest opinions on the fit/finish/quality etc as I did really want this phone but now I am not so sure and am wondering about just getting the Style instead so before I do any opinions would be much appreciated as on the XDA forums I have read some posts from owners saying that the 6P is made from poor quality materials! Of course I know there will be many different opinions but it would be good to hear some from people who actually have the phone.

Thanks.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been watching unboxing video for the past 1 month. i have watched almost every unboxing video
every single reviewer said the phone is premium high quality phone. but i will let owners chip on their opinion as well.

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So I just want honest opinions on the fit/finish/quality etc

So far so good. Feels great in the hand. Feels light and comfortable but not at all cheap. Seems super solid and the fit and finish of the Graphite model I have is awesome. The black is a bit of a finger print magnet.. but outside that the quality seems top notch. Very premium feeling and looking device...

Time will tell the true quality...

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So far so good. Feels great in the hand. Feels light and comfortable but not at all cheap. Seems super solid and the fit and finish of the Graphite model I have is awesome. The black is a bit of a finger print magnet.. but outside that the quality seems top notch. Very premium feeling and looking device...

Time will tell the true quality...

Thanks Robbie that is the sort of feedback I am hoping to hear as I so want the 6P and if there are any dodgy quality issues I am sure people on here will tell me :)

Joe Preen

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
It most definitely is a premium built phone, up there with the iPhone and Note 5 easily. I have the aluminium model and the way the light glistens on the chamfered edges is gorgeous and screams premium. I came from a Nexus 6 and the difference in quality is outstanding. I never thought of the 6 as a cheap feeling phone but after switching to the 6P I can say that the 6 definitely does not qualify as a premium phone in my eyes.

Obviously the 6 and the X Style are different and I was considering the Style before I got the 6P but I'm definitely glad I went for the 6P. It's in a different league.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dlanod

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely a nice phone. I've just today sent my Moto X Style back. It was fine but not very exciting. The 6P I have has a slightly uneven screen tone but overall it is a much nicer device than the Moto X Style. Build quality is good but not quite as premium as my iPhone 6S Plus. The aluminium is a bit shiny for my taste. But no flaws that I can see apart from the screen variations.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
You all are going to tell me I'm nuts but I'm thinking of sending this 6p back. I've got the MXPE also and can only keep one. The MXPE is really good and fits in my hand better. The Moto features are very useful. The screen is beautiful, maybe even better than the 6p. The camera is meh..not so good with low light, but the videos are much more stable than the 6p. And none of the USB c cable crap. The usb c cable is stupid. Serves zero practical purpose for the average person.

The 6p excels in the overall speed department. Camera is quite good. Build quality is superb. But it is a lot larger in the hand than the MXPE. Plus there's the whole instant update thing.

Tough call...

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think quality should be a concern. Its been pretty well established now that the build is very good.

The only thing holding me back right now is the size. I have a G4 and my wife has an iPhone 6S+. Given the width on the 6P and 6S+ are the same, I've found my wife's phone to be a bit too wide to hold effortlessly, and the G4 to be the perfect width.

Its a real dilemma because I want the 6P badly.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You all are going to tell me I'm nuts but I'm thinking of sending this 6p back. I've got the MXPE also and can only keep one. The MXPE is really good and fits in my hand better. The Moto features are very useful. The screen is beautiful, maybe even better than the 6p. The camera is meh..not so good with low light, but the videos are much more stable than the 6p. And none of the USB c cable crap. The usb c cable is stupid. Serves zero practical purpose for the average person.

The 6p excels in the overall speed department. Camera is quite good. Build quality is superb. But it is a lot larger in the hand than the MXPE. Plus there's the whole instant update thing.

Tough call...

Go with what you like but calling USB C stupid is short sited. I doubt you are going to see anymore flagships without it. It charges fast enough that laptops are going to it.

Return it or maybe you could sell it on Swappa for a profit. Lot of impatient folks out there.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Tough call...

Damn Austin that's not what I expected to hear :) I am torn between the two as I do lean more towards a non Amoled display but then I saw an S6 in a shop the other day and the display was superb! The main thing about the Style that concerns me is how long it will recieve software updates as mine will be sim free and I would want updates for a good while.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Go with what you like but calling USB C stupid is short sited. I doubt you are going to see anymore flagships without it. It charges fast enough that laptops are going to it.

Return it or maybe you could sell it on Swappa for a profit. Lot of impatient folks out there.

Fair enough, but the micro usb cables charge really fast also. I just don't see any benefit from c.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Damn Austin that's not what I expected to hear :) I am torn between the two as I do lean more towards a non Amoled display but then I saw an S6 in a shop the other day and the display was superb! The main thing about the Style that concerns me is how long it will recieve software updates as mine will be sim free and I would want updates for a good while.

I know, I know... I'm in the same boat as you. The software updates are a big deal to me as well because I can tell you, marshmallow absolutely flies. It's crazy fast. And with Motorola you have no clue what's going to happen. Hell, they could leave the MXPE on lollipop for all we know.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Exactly Austin! Then I see another thread on here with users saying their screen is quite yellow and has uneven white gradients and I am thinking crikey!!!!

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough, but the micro usb cables charge really fast also. I just don't see any benefit from c.

it's not about the speed. It's a bit of a growing pain now but in 5 years all of our devices will have USB C, for input, output, charging, video, etc. The spec really is the "one cable" we've been dreaming of for decades.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Probably the biggest advantage is that the plug is reversible, you no longer have to worry if you have the plug the right way. It also does charge somewhat faster than the old USB cables. The biggest advantage, though the Nexus does not take advantage of this, is much faster data transfers. And, as has been pointed out, within a year or so, every new computer and accessory is going to start being built with USB-C; though some will come with adapters so people can connect with the older USB plugs.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Having used USB C on the Pixel 2 for a couple of months now, I can say that while there's a bit of an adjustment, it's well worth it. Having a port on each side of the Pixel, either of which can be used for charging (in either direction), data transfer, or media out, is extremely convenient. My 6P arrived today, and the C-to-C cable should make the Pixel 2 and 6P very agreeable together.

USB "SuperSpeed" 3.1 supports up to 10Gbps, and USB Power Delivery 2.0 supports up to 20V/5A (100W), as well as multiple flexible lower-level current modes. The full potential of the new C-type form-factor will really shine when we have C-type implementations with SS 3.1 and PD 2.0 both rolled in as well.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well they are the two phones that I am going to choose between, was the Pure well built?

The pure is well built. I prefer the 6p build though.

My main issue with the pure was battery life and lag. The 808 is heavily taxed and sucks down the juice anytime it has to send math to the 4k display.

As for lag, here is a comparison between the 5x and 6p. You can see the scroll lag on the 5x. Keep in mind that it performs better than my pure did. Wife has the 5x.

https://youtu.be/Mt_WJGL7SiA

There is no comparison between the 6p and pure. I also would take the 5x over the pure even though the pure is technically better. I don't trust lenno with updates.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I can't echo the comments of other 6P owners. Mine is in pristine condition and feels superb in the hand. I'm coming from an iPhone 6, so the 6P definitely matches the level of build quality I've gotten used to. Everything about the phone just screams polished and solid. And the 6P has a fingerprint scanner, which (for me) is a huge advantage over the Moto X. I've actually read a lot more posts about how the Moto X doesn't feel as high end as other phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87