Any word on when T-Mobile will let 6P use Band 12?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Just switched to T-Mo and my 6P does not appear to be a fan. Outside of our home wifi cocoon, it's a bit of a dud. However, when I pop the sim into my iPhone 6S+, that works very well - in the exact same spot! I've read about this Band 12 issue and while I cannot say I completely comprehend it, I'm wondering if that might be the culprit. And if so, when will T-Mo (or Google?) address it? The 6S+ is going to get the majority of the time out of the home while this continues. :(

EDIT: The 6P worked great outside the home on AT&T. Might have to switch back.

Last edited:

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Also, since it works with 12 from T-Mo if using Project Fi, is it a matter of just flipping a software switch on the 6P?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Well nobody from Google or T-Mobile can give me a straight answer about Band 12, so guess I'll return my 6P until it's active. No reason for it to sit around collecting dust waiting for it to happen. Bummer. :(

SinfulDroid

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
This is quite odd as I'm having the opposite experience with my 6p. I'm also on T-Mobile and have noticed I get a much better overall connection compared to my 6s.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
This is quite odd as I'm having the opposite experience with my 6p. I'm also on T-Mobile and have noticed I get a much better overall connection compared to my 6s.

That is so strange. Guess it must matter where we live and or work. Maybe I'll give ProjectFi a try, since for whatever reason it allows the 6P to use Band 12 on T-Mo.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That is so strange. Guess it must matter where we live and or work. Maybe I'll give ProjectFi a try, since for whatever reason it allows the 6P to use Band 12 on T-Mo.

Yeah I find it interesting that Band 12 works on the T-Mobile network if you use Project Fi but if you are a T-Mobile customer directly it does not. They originally said on September 29 that they would have band 12 ready by the time the phone started to ship. Ooops.. I think we missed that.... and it should just be a quick little firmware update that enables it.

After switching from the 6 that had band 12 support I just have more "Holes" in my T-Mobile coverage. I think it took them 3 - 4 months after the 6 launched to activate band 12 with a firmware update.

Hopefully it doesn't take as long with the 6p as it did with the 6...

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
I never thought it would be that big of a deal, but in the areas I frequent, the comparison between the 6P (minus Band 12) and the 6S+ (with Band 12) is quite eye-opening.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I never thought it would be that big of a deal, but in the areas I frequent, the comparison between the 6P (minus Band 12) and the 6S+ (with Band 12) is quite eye-opening.

I am in the process of moving my 5 lines (family) over to T-Mobile from att.
Tested last year and coverage was just "okay" in my home office so I passed.
I read they launched 700 MHz in my metro and grabbed a sim and tried again. This time..wow. Like night and day. Surpassed att in coverage and speeds...
I have a Note 5 w band 12 and an unlocked iph 6+ without 12 and it gets half the signal. I want a N6P bad but this is holding me back.

Have you thought about getting the new LTE mini tower for your house? Only $25 deposit or smt... I'm going to check that out myself. Can't hurt.

Posted via the Android Central App

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
I am in the process of moving my 5 lines (family) over to T-Mobile from att.
Tested last year and coverage was just "okay" in my home office so I passed.
I read they launched 700 MHz in my metro and grabbed a sim and tried again. This time..wow. Like night and day. Surpassed att in coverage and speeds...
I have a Note 5 w band 12 and an unlocked iph 6+ without 12 and it gets half the signal. I want a N6P bad but this is holding me back.

Have you thought about getting the new LTE mini tower for your house? Only $25 deposit or smt... I'm going to check that out myself. Can't hurt.

Posted via the Android Central App

My house isn't the issue. Wifi calling handles my low signal there with aplomb. It's one of the places I visit frequently for work where the discrepancy is noticeable. Thanks though.

anon(8662820)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
looking where I'm at now in Santa Clara and looks like its band4 in my area still. But I do find my LTE speed is much faster than it was on my unlocked note 2

socalrailroader

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I find it interesting that Band 12 works on the T-Mobile network if you use Project Fi but if you are a T-Mobile customer directly it does not. They originally said on September 29 that they would have band 12 ready by the time the phone started to ship. Ooops.. I think we missed that.... and it should just be a quick little firmware update that enables it.

After switching from the 6 that had band 12 support I just have more "Holes" in my T-Mobile coverage. I think it took them 3 - 4 months after the 6 launched to activate band 12 with a firmware update.

Hopefully it doesn't take as long with the 6p as it did with the 6...
Well, it does and it doesn't. On Lollipop, you can pick up on Band 12 with Google Fi on the Nexus 6, but no VoLTE, calls will default to HSPA or EDGE. You can also flash a L radio onto the 6 running Marshmallow, but again you'll only have Band 12 data, no VoLTE. As for the 6P, it seems you're going to be stuck without any Band 12 until T-Mobile and Google certify it for Band 12.

socalrailroader

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking where I'm at now in Santa Clara, and it looks like its Band 4 in my area still. However, I do find my LTE speed is much faster than it was on my unlocked Note 2

We have lots of Band 12 up north of you here in Mendocino County (I'm in Redwood Valley myself, between Ukiah and Willits), as well as in Lake, Humboldt and Sonoma Counties. You should start seeing Band 12 soon down there now that the Channel 51 issue has been resolved. Channel 51 wasn't an issue for us in Northwestern California north of Rohnert Park.