I have some questions

Knowledge26

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello, Im hoping you guys can help me

I am currently with Sprint and currently still owe like $180 or so in my installment payments or whatever they are called that they add to the monthly bill. Ive been researching the 6p and Ive liked what I have seen and heard and what to get it tomorrow either from the best buy store or from online. The questions I have:

1) When I get the phone do I need to get a new sim card? If I use my current sim Im assuming I just pop it into the 6p and it will work just fine

2) Do I need to let Sprint now? My plan is from here on out to always just buy my phone outright that way I dont have to be tied to contracts or leasing or whatever

3) If I do need to let sprint know will they not cooperate because I still owe money on my current phone

4) How do I get my contacts and pictures from my current phone to the 6p?

5) Lastly, what are some great free apps that I should start with once I get the phone. I was thinking about getting this app Ive heard people talk about where you can store all your passwords in one place, cant recall the name and not sure if it is free but that would come in handy. I thought about getting the app for my bank but not sure how secure it is, but it would be more convenient than always logging into my laptop at home. Suggestions for anti-virus?

Im planning on getting the 32gb frost or aluminum but leaning towards the aluminum

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Sprint shouldn't care. Swap the SIM card and just keep making payments on the phone you're not using.

As for your contacts - are you coming from Android where they'd be Google contacts anyway? If so, when you set up your phone and link to your Gmail account, they should pull over on their own.

Photos - again - are you backing up using something like Google Photos already? If not, the old USB to computer and back again is always an option.

As for password managers - I use MSecure. Lots of folks use 1password. It's a user preference thing. I don't know if 1P is free or not.

Posted via the Android Central App

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello, Im hoping you guys can help me

I am currently with Sprint and currently still owe like $180 or so in my installment payments or whatever they are called that they add to the monthly bill. Ive been researching the 6p and Ive liked what I have seen and heard and what to get it tomorrow either from the best buy store or from online. The questions I have:

1) When I get the phone do I need to get a new sim card? If I use my current sim Im assuming I just pop it into the 6p and it will work just fine

2) Do I need to let Sprint now? My plan is from here on out to always just buy my phone outright that way I dont have to be tied to contracts or leasing or whatever

3) If I do need to let sprint know will they not cooperate because I still owe money on my current phone

4) How do I get my contacts and pictures from my current phone to the 6p?

5) Lastly, what are some great free apps that I should start with once I get the phone. I was thinking about getting this app Ive heard people talk about where you can store all your passwords in one place, cant recall the name and not sure if it is free but that would come in handy. I thought about getting the app for my bank but not sure how secure it is, but it would be more convenient than always logging into my laptop at home. Suggestions for anti-virus?

Im planning on getting the 32gb frost or aluminum but leaning towards the aluminum

For the 6p you need a specific Sim card, your going to need a 4FF CSIM V5. The sku or model is CZ2144LWC.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you'll still owe that $180. You'll have to ask if you now have to pay it off in one chunk or keep monthly payments.

You really can't sell your old phone until you pay it off. You probably want to unlock it too before you sell. AT&T unlocks once you pay it off. Is that Sprint's policy? (this is assuming you want to sell it)

Knowledge26

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Yea I know I still have to pay the $180 I was just trying to find out if I could get a new phone outright and be able to use it on sprint owing the money. I have no plans to sell my current phone its crap and damaged etc. I tried to pay the remaining balance a couple months but the store said I couldnt then called and kept getting different answers. I just dont want to get the 6p and not be able to use it

To the other poster who said I needed to get a new sim card, ok so I guess I need to find where to get that out I sorta figured I could just swap in my old one but again just been getting different answers from different places

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. If it's a nano SIM, I don't see why you couldn't just swap. Many people on here have said they have done it. But I guess that's just another different answer.

You are going to have to get a nailed down answer from Sprint.

FWIW... I didn't have a nano SIM so I went to an AT&T store, explained I was getting a new phone, they got me a new SIM card and did something on my account. I got the phone, put the SIM in and called them for the activation. Just sharing the process I went through. Maybe you can do the same at a Sprint store.

Knowledge26

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Hmm. If it's a nano SIM, I don't see why you couldn't just swap. Many people on here have said they have done it. But I guess that's just another different answer.

You are going to have to get a nailed down answer from Sprint.

FWIW... I didn't have a nano SIM so I went to an AT&T store, explained I was getting a new phone, they got me a new SIM card and did something on my account. I got the phone, put the SIM in and called them for the activation. Just sharing the process I went through. Maybe you can do the same at a Sprint store.

I just got off the phone with sprint stated I can activate the new phone online and that I would still keep paying my monthly bill like I have been doing. In all the years Ive been with Sprint the lady that helped me has been the best. Im going to look online and see how to get my contacts and pictures saved and then im going to best buy and see if I can grab the 6p

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with sprint stated I can activate the new phone online and that I would still keep paying my monthly bill like I have been doing. In all the years Ive been with Sprint the lady that helped me has been the best. Im going to look online and see how to get my contacts and pictures saved and then im going to best buy and see if I can grab the 6p

Trust me you need a new sim. Get the one I mentioned above, through sprint int'l support. Either by calling or chatting. Chatting is usually easier. Just give them there name and model I gave you. Only that Sim card will work.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You don't say what phone you have. If you have Android (or an iPhone) and your contacts are synced to your Google account, when you sign in on the new phone they should sync. You need to make sure the contacts are "Google" contacts on your current phone.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Trust me you need a new sim. Get the one I mentioned above, through sprint int'l support. Either by calling or chatting. Chatting is usually easier. Just give them there name and model I gave you. Only that Sim card will work.

I am just asking this because I like understanding how all this works. Is this a Sprint issue? People have been moving their SIM cards from other phones to the 6P without a problem. Or do you think his SIM card might be outdated? If he's still paying on a contract and owes that much, I'd guess it's a little over a year old (or OP - can you fill us in on the phone's age?).

Knowledge26

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
I am just asking this because I like understanding how all this works. Is this a Sprint issue? People have been moving their SIM cards from other phones to the 6P without a problem. Or do you think his SIM card might be outdated? If he's still paying on a contract and owes that much, I'd guess it's a little over a year old (or OP - can you fill us in on the phone's age?).

Ok I was under the impression when I bought the new 6p it would come with a sim card, thats also what sprint told me and said for me to use the new sim card, right now im uploading all my pics and vids to google drive. My current phone is about 12-18 months old I guess. Im about to head to best buy and I will be able to give yall more info

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yea I know I still have to pay the $180 I was just trying to find out if I could get a new phone outright and be able to use it on sprint owing the money. I have no plans to sell my current phone its crap and damaged etc. I tried to pay the remaining balance a couple months but the store said I couldnt then called and kept getting different answers. I just dont want to get the 6p and not be able to use it

To the other poster who said I needed to get a new sim card, ok so I guess I need to find where to get that out I sorta figured I could just swap in my old one but again just been getting different answers from different places

I just went to VZ, asked for a SIM, the rep grabbed his iPad, threw in the SIM and 5 minutes later I was on my way.

I don't have Sprint do maybe it's different but I didn't think there was one specific nano SIM needed.

I use 1Password and love it. There are a lot of em out there but I like how clean and simple it is.

We all know the usual apps, and there's a thread on that already, but I always recommend Google Opinion Rewards ... Quick polls will net you about $5 worth of Google Play Store credit a month.

Knowledge26

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
You don't say what phone you have. If you have Android (or an iPhone) and your contacts are synced to your Google account, when you sign in on the new phone they should sync. You need to make sure the contacts are "Google" contacts on your current phone.

its a droid, I dont know if they are google contacts or not, I will look into it and make sure I sync them

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The 6P doesn't include a SIM.

Best Buy might be able to help you with the whole process. They sell service on all the carriers. Good luck! Hopefully you will join the wonderful world of the 6P soon.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I went to a Sprint store which carries SIM cards. The dude didn't realize he set me up on the wrong plan when I handed my Note 4 (still on contract) down to my daughter, so I had to call Customer Service the next day.

The lady told me she'd talk to her manager and call me back when I told her I wanted to pay out my contract so I could get the better, cheaper plan right away. She called back to tell me they were cancelling my contract and associated penalties, and putting my 6P on the better plan right away.

They have a customer for life.

Knowledge26

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
The 6P doesn't include a SIM.

Best Buy might be able to help you with the whole process. They sell service on all the carriers. Good luck! Hopefully you will join the wonderful world of the 6P soon.

alrighty then I was not aware not sure why it wouldnt well, um i anyone know where you get sim cards from then?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

It has something to do with sprint. Those people are probably on T-Mobile, or att. For the 6p to work correctly you need the Sim card I mentioned above.

Knowledge26

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
It has something to do with sprint. Those people are probably on T-Mobile, or att. For the 6p to work correctly you need the Sim card I mentioned above.

ok so just to make sure I cant swipe my current sim card, when I buy the 6p it doesnt come with a sim, i must order it? How long does it take to arrive and how much does it cost?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
alrighty then I was not aware not sure why it wouldnt well, um i anyone know where you get sim cards from then?

That's what I meant. Best Buy must have the SIM cards and be able to help you out with the whole thing. The only catch is whether or not they can handle your issue with your old phone being on contract, etc. All you can do is go and ask.

Alternatively, go to a Sprint store first. Apparently you may need a special SIM card from them. Several of us got our SIM cards before we actually had the phone. Then, from Spring, head over to Best Buy.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
ok so just to make sure I cant swipe my current sim card, when I buy the 6p it doesnt come with a sim, i must order it? How long does it take to arrive and how much does it cost?

No you can't just swap your card from another one, if your on sprint. If you previously had a moto x pure edition, then yes you can. I paid for overnight shipping which was 10, the Sim was Free though. You can get it shipped to you for free, but it takes 5-7 business days.

You can try sprint stores, but make sure it's a repair/corporate store. I'm 90%sure they won't have that Sim card. It's because the phones that need then aren't sold directly by sprint. If you can't find them at a sprint store, make sure you use Int'l chat, their regular chat is stupid, and won't know what they are talking about.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo