Does rooting cause any side effects on the 6P?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have not rooted or ROM'd a phone in a long time. I haven't paid attention to anything about rooting the 6P because I thought I wouldn't be doing it ever again. Now I'm seeing some Xposed modules I might want to try and I'm curious about activating Assistant on the 6P (who knows how long Google will let that remain).

Are there any side effects to rooting the 6P? Will I still get OTA updates? Will I still be able to manually install OTA's? Will my warranty go void? Nexus protect? Is it easy to "unroot" the phone? Anything bad?

Thanks!

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Technically it can all be undone, but unless you follow instructions precisely you could brick the device very easily. You don't get security updates ave you are vulnerable to malware. In any case, so your research very carefully and be sure you have the exact same model etc when you start! Backing up is a nobrainer of course.... Good luck

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Technically it can all be undone, but unless you follow instructions precisely you could brick the device very easily. You don't get security updates ave you are vulnerable to malware. In any case, so your research very carefully and be sure you have the exact same model etc when you start! Backing up is a nobrainer of course.... Good luck

While true, it is very hard to permanently brick a Nexus

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I am comfortable with actually rooting the phone. It has to be easier than the other phones I have done it to.

So - the big drawback is that you don't get monthly security updates? Could I just install the OTAs manually?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You can always install the images directly, if you root that's what you will have to do because you won't get OTAs. The other thing you will lose is Android Pay but that's no big deal. If you do it let us know if Assistant is worth the hassle of rooting. I haven't rooted my phone since the Galaxy Nexus where it was practically required due to the terrible support that the Verizon GN got. Standard Android plus NovaLauncher has been good enough on both the 5 and the 6P however Assistant is the first thing that might be worth rooting to get.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I think I am going to hold off. I do use Android Pay periodically but I could live without it. I don't want to get into it now.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I think I am going to hold off. I do use Android Pay periodically but I could live without it. I don't want to get into it now.

FYI, apparently SafetyNet was updated again yesterday. Now Android Pay won't work even on a fully stock and unrooted phone if the bootloader is unlocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984