No future updates?

nomzamo999

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
This only means Google doesn't guarantee updates past September. As they have released Oreo for 6P, I think it's a safe bet that they'll continue to provide security updates for the lifetime of this version.
It's unlikely that the 6P's hardware will be able to support all the functionality of later versions, so you'll have to root and use a cooked version if you want to use Android P.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't buy a 6P at this point, get a Pixel2 XL when it comes out in a couple of months. The 6P has a crap battery that wears out in about 15 months, if you were to buy a second hand 6P it will have a worn out battery and they are extremely hard to replace on a 6P. I had my 6P replaced under warranty a few months ago so I'm happy at the moment, performance is great with Oreo, but before I had the 6P replaced it had become practically unusable. Software support for the 6P will go for another year, it will stop when P is released about this time next year.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I doubt our 6P's will last much longer. My battery puffed like jiffy popcorn this past month and I am just waiting for the bootloop issue to be next.

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
FYI, battery replacement is cheap and easy on the 6P. Even still, I would go ahead and wait for the Pixel 2 XL.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
FYI, battery replacement is cheap and easy on the 6P.
No, if it were truly "cheap and easy," I don't think I'd have run into so many repair shops who wouldn't touch the phone for love of money. The battery for the 6P is relatively cheap, though. I'll give you that.

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Well maybe it is your location. Here, just outside of Seattle, I had several places that would do it and the guy I chose only charged $75 and was done in about half an hour. Lickity split and good as new.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Well maybe it is your location. Here, just outside of Seattle, I had several places that would do it and the guy I chose only charged $75 and was done in about half an hour. Lickity split and good as new.

I'm in Bellevue, where did you get it done?
Do you know what battery it was replaced with, if it was an OEM or similar?
Thanks.

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
That is not true. Every article online documents how much more difficult it is to replace a 6P battery vs other models. iFixit.com gives the 6P a 2 out of 10 for repairing it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Nexus_6P
What I know for a fact, is that my repair guy did it for $75 and it took about half an hour. Your mileage may vary, but that is my actual real life experience that just happened recently, I didn't read it somewhere else, and my device is fine and chugging along nicely.

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Bellevue, where did you get it done?
Do you know what battery it was replaced with, if it was an OEM or similar?
Thanks.
He's down in Puyallup and his name is Elijah. icanfixthatpuyallup.com , check him out. I work in Seattle, Everett and on the Eastside and it was worth it for me. I had previously used a shop in the U district, but they were way over priced and the work I had done was shotty(different phone) and had nothing but issues with them. Anyway, as far as the battery being OEM or not, I didn't ask because I was just really wanting a stop gap between now and possibly the next Pixel XL. This is my primary device, I've had it since launch, and I use it as my business phone as well, so I really needed the battery to not nose dive everyday. Since the replacement, it's been running around 10hr/day with fairly heavy usage. Hope that helps.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
What I know for a fact, is that my repair guy did it for $75 and it took about half an hour.
Well, if Elijah from Puyallup did it in 30 min., then Elijah from Puyallup is either a certified Huawei whisperer or Elijah from Puyallup had replacement parts on hand. I just replaced the battery in my gold 6P, and I wasted more than 30 min. just heating up the camera glass and trying to pry that lil piece of xxxx loose. And that never happened: it came off in pieces.

And I can also tell you that those videos online don't prepare you for all contingencies, like ribbon connectors that are actually glued to the backs of the plates that are supposed to keep them secure. Though I was happy to find that Jerryrig also couldn't successfully remove the camera glass from a gold 6P even though he does that almost effortlessly with a graphite 6P.

Last edited:

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, if Elijah from Puyallup did it in 30 min., then Elijah from Puyallup is either a certified Huawei whisperer or Elijah from Puyallup had replacement parts on hand. I just replaced the battery in my gold 6P, and I wasted more than 30 min. just heating up the camera glass and trying to pry that lil piece of xxxx loose. And that never happened: it came off in pieces.

And I can also tell you that those videos online don't prepare you for all contingencies, like ribbon connectors that are actually glued to the backs of the plates that are supposed to keep them secure. Though I was happy to find that Jerryrig also couldn't successfully remove the camera glass from a gold 6P even though he does that almost effortlessly with a graphite 6P.
He ordered the battery on a Friday and got it on a Wednesday, then replaced it that evening. He did mention that he had to be very careful of the back glass and if it broke, he would replace it for me, but would need to order it. It didn't break. Sorry, you had such a difficult time. I do have the aluminum model, not gold.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRepairGuy