N6P to the new Pixel XL 2

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Anyone considering this move?

I've held off from the Pixel XL as to me, it's simply not enough of an upgrade from the N6P

More so now that I've got a refurbished/as new N6P 32GB from Google with a full 2 year warranty!

It runs Oreo faultlessly and it's still a bloomin' good phone, great screen size and forward facing speakers etc...

The new Pixel XL2 will tempt me I know, but wondering who fancies this move too?

I've been through all sorts of handsets lately (iPhone 7 Plus, Galaxy S8+, OnePlus 3T (the best of the lot IMO), but still can't help myself from loving the N6P

The N6P was the perfect upgrade for the Nexus 6 (which I loved), the Pixel XL just didn't do it for me

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

I've held off from the Pixel XL as to me, it's simply not enough of an upgrade from the N6P

More so now that I've got a refurbished/as new N6P 32GB from Google with a full 2 year warranty!

It runs Oreo faultlessly and it's still a bloomin' good phone, great screen size and forward facing speakers etc...

The new Pixel XL2 will tempt me I know, but wondering who fancies this move too?

I've been through all sorts of handsets lately (iPhone 7 Plus, Galaxy S8+, OnePlus 3T (the best of the lot IMO), but still can't help myself from loving the N6P

The N6P was the perfect upgrade for the Nexus 6 (which I loved), the Pixel XL just didn't do it for me

I just made the big move yesterday to a new 64gb iPhone 8 plus after 6 years of Android, most recently the 6p for the last two. My wife and daughter are on iPhones, and after playing with iOS 11 I decided that it's come far enough along that I actually like it. And I've always felt that the smoothness and responsiveness of the iPhone and the better and more predictable battery behavior given the integration of the hardware and software are just better than Android, but until now Android had features and customizability that I preferred.

I'll probably switch back at some point, but it's time for me to finally give it a try. So far I'm have a great Google experience on the iPhone since the Google apps work so well on both platforms.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
See... I just don't like iPhones and how much they're locked down compared to Android

Everything I have is apple bar my mobile; it has to be Android!

Savvra

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely going with the Pixel XL 2. I almost got the original Pixel XL but decided to wait for financial reasons. My 6P is dying fast. Even after a factory reset when I got Oreo I maybe get 2 to 4 hours of battery life. I considered the V30 and Note 8, but I really like the Pixel line. My son and mother both have Pixels and they love them. Software updates are an important thing for me which is another reason I'll probably go Pixel XL 2.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to trade my replacement XL for a XL2. If the rumor is true and the XL2 comes with 5 years of unlimited Google Drive, I'll make the move. I already pay $10/month for 1TB. So that's $120/year or $600/5 years plus $410/trade in for the XL means that the XL2 is "free". Technically I'd be getting paid $61 by upgrading.

We pay cash for our phones, and I already have $1000 saved for a replacement. I mean, it's open/shut for me. If Google Drive isn't going to be free for 5 years, I'll probably just keep the XL.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
If I get a 2XL, I'll be trading in my 6P to Fi to do so. I've been having major microphone issues with the 6P of late, so selling it to someone else would just be cruel. At least going the trade-in route, I can hope that the phone gets a thorough refurbishing before it's passed on to owner #3 .

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

How did you like that one plus 3t? That's one I've considered but this is my second go round with the Nexus 6p and I absolutely love this device. Everything about it too. It'll be hard for me to use anything else other than I've considered the Mate 9 though. The one plus has always tempted me especially the 3t so I'm surprised you didn't stick with it. So I guess I can rule out the one plus phone then.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm already pretty much sold on the Pixel 2 XL. I tried talking to Fi customer service about a potential trade-in for my Nexus 6P to upgrade to a new Pixel 2 XL, and the rep strongly hinted there will be a nice upgrade path available for Fi subscribers.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
How did you like that one plus 3t? That's one I've considered but this is my second go round with the Nexus 6p and I absolutely love this device. Everything about it too. It'll be hard for me to use anything else other than I've considered the Mate 9 though. The one plus has always tempted me especially the 3t so I'm surprised you didn't stick with it. So I guess I can rule out the one plus phone then.

The 3T was a very good phone indeed; only sold it as I wanted to try the S8 Plus again and sold that on to move back to the N6P haha

Reason I didn't get a Pixel XL is that I didn't want to pay the high price the 128GB one still warrants here in the UK and secondly; the Pixel XL wasn;t enough of an upgrade from the N6P for me

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

I just ordered the Pixel 2 XL. I love the Nexus 6p but mine is slowly falling apart. It's slow, the camera is really slow to load and take a picture. I like how the new pics of will have three year guarantee of system updates and security updates. I will miss the Nexus 6p though this was one of my favorite phones.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
If I get a 2XL, I'll be trading in my 6P to Fi to do so. I've been having major microphone issues with the 6P of late, so selling it to someone else would just be cruel. At least going the trade-in route, I can hope that the phone gets a thorough refurbishing before it's passed on to owner #3 .

This is exactly what I'm doing, I'm trading in my 6p.

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I was looking forward to the Pixel XL 2 for months now and do not think I'll be jumping from my re-furb'd Nexus 6P.

No reason for me to spend $1600+ for new Pixel XL 2 for my wife and I for what? Its still snappy, large, being updated to major Android updates, and monthly security issues.

Fighting the urge to consume without justification...

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
The regular pixel has really never done anything to me in terms of wanting it over my 6p ever and when I originally had my first 6p I have always thought it to be my all time favorite Android device. That said I did see the pixel 2 today and it's quite stunning. It's missing the headphone jack which I use often. Other than that is a great phone. I'd opt for the 5 inch but it's still not enough to make me get rid of my new 6p. Not right now. I do think it's going to be one of the best phones on the market easily though.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
The 2 XL is the one I'll be going for; it's everything I wanted that the Pixel XL wasn't!

I always loved the Nexus 6, I know it had a lot of dislike, but its 6" screen was superb and if you're like me and have shovel-like hands, the size suited it well!

However, I'll keep the N6P and use it as my business handset; it's just too good a phone to sell on and it'll not fetch a price that I think it's worth!

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a 2Xl yesterday. Two years is the right cadence for upgrades, also Google seems to get it right in odd years and wrong in even years. Had the Galaxy Nexus, skipped the N4 because it didn't have LTE, got the N5 which was great, skipped the 6 because it seemed to big at the time (times change), got the 6P, skipped the Pixel I XL because it didn't have front firing speakers, ordered the Pixel 2 XL because it has everything the 6P had only better.

I'm disappointed that they didn't include wireless charging on the Pixel 2, I miss it. The Palm Pre and the Nexus 5 both had wireless charging but they dropped it on the 6P because they got the stupid idea that an aluminum case somehow is required for a premium phone. Now even Apple has wireless charging, something the Nexus 5 had four years ago, but they still haven't brought it back. Hope they have it in the Pixel 4.

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

...I've held off from the Pixel XL as to me, it's simply not enough of an upgrade from the N6P

I felt exactly this way last year, not enough of an upgrade. This year, it's different.

I placed my order for a Pixel 2 XL yesterday. Until then, I was seriously considering just replacing the battery in my 6P and going another year with it. A few things that pushed me to the XL 2: Stereo front facing speakers, three years of timely OS updates, a nice trade-in offer from Google for the 6P, and the fact that I could order from Google directly this time instead of Huawei.

I'm bummed to lose the headphone jack but that's disappearing from phones whether I like it or not.

Last edited:

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I felt exactly this way last year, not enough of an upgrade. This year, it's different.

I placed my order for a Pixel 2 XL yesterday. Until then, I was seriously considering just replacing the battery in my 6P and going another year with it. A few things that pushed me to the XL 2: Stereo front facing speakers, three years of timely OS updates, a nice trade-in offer from Google for the 6P, and the fact that I could order from Google directly this time instead of Huawei.

I'm bummed to lose the headphone jack but that's disappearing from phones whether I like it or not.
How much of a trade in were you given on the 6p? I'm just curious if Google is offering a fair amount given the 6p is still such a good device for the ones who are not having any battery issues.