Sticking with Nexus 6P in late 2017?

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought a 6P a month or so back on a steal. I wasn't happy with the battery life and I had that stupid battery reset issue. So I replaced the battery. Still, I was gonna resell it as I've got another toy to use and play with. But I just can't bring myself to do it. The screen is awesome, the camera is still pretty good, its smooth, and blazing fast. In 2017 this phone is still amazing!

Whose holding on to theirs?

Last edited:

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought a 6P a month or so back on a steal. I want happy with the battery life and I had that stupid battery reset issue. So I replaced the battery. Still, I was gonna resell it as I've got another toy to use and play with. But I just can't bring myself to do it. The screen is awesome, the camera is still pretty good, its smooth, and blazing fast. In 2017 this phone is still amazing!

Whose holding on to theirs?
Count me in!!! I bought mine used (in excellent condition) about a year ago. Absolutely love it. Unless something major happens with it, I'll hold onto it until it's no longer getting security updates. As always it's personal preference, but unless there's issues, it still holds it's own. Keep it, especially if you got it at a great price!

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
If you are content with it's battery life then there's no reason to switch to another device. Low SOT was the only reason I switched to an S7E else everything else on that device was nice...especially the camera.

Last edited:

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought a 64 GB Matte Gold off Swappa in New/Resale condition in August 2016 for $425 as an upgrade to the 32 GB Aluminum I bought from Google. I just had the battery replaced a couple weeks back, because I was disappointed by all the issues with the Pixel 2 XL. Since Google screwed us by stupidly scrapping what is now known as the HTC U11+, and are screwing us further by not allowing that phone to be sold in the US for fear it would (and it would) outsell their crap offering, I'm sticking with my 6P until the next crop of phones come out with the SD 845. My phone still runs as well as it did out of the box, so I see no reason to upgrade.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought one used about a month ago in my quest to go larger in screen size. Accubattery says my battery is 96%. I easily get 24 hours out a single charge. No way will I be spending the money they want for new devices today. I plan to use it for at least the next year. It's blazing fast, has a great screen and camera takes great pictures. I could see after some time getting the battery replaced but I think that will be awhile yet.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I bought one used about a month ago in my quest to go larger in screen size. Accubattery says my battery is 96%. I easily get 24 hours out a single charge. No way will I be spending the money they want for new devices today. I plan to use it for at least the next year. It's blazing fast, has a great screen and camera takes great pictures. I could see after some time getting the battery replaced but I think that will be awhile yet.
I got mine replaced for pretty cheap. It's worth it

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I got mine replaced for pretty cheap. It's worth it
I will after a few months if it begins to degrade at all. I just don't see a need to do it yet. I mean it's at 96% of capacity so I can't complain. I actually bought a second one. First one is a 32gb and second is 64gb. Both have good batteries. Neither was used much when bought from Google. I'm not into the elongated screens these days so plan to use these the next couple years.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I will after a few months if it begins to degrade at all. I just don't see a need to do it yet. I mean it's at 96% of capacity so I can't complain. I actually bought a second one. First one is a 32gb and second is 64gb. Both have good batteries. Neither was used much when bought from Google. I'm not into the elongated screens these days so plan to use these the next couple years.
It's funny... I'm back to using my 6P after handling a slightly elongated phone (Blackberry Keyone). It's kinda weird to hold a wider phone now. But this screen is still killer. I picked it up to play with and just decided to pop in my son and make it my DAD again. Great device. Smooth as butter!

Last edited:

Jacob Bate

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
I've still got mine it was my first android phone from Apple I've been on apple years and bad bad boy made sure I never go back I love it and I plan on keeping it for as long as I can it's customisations are great I feel like it's really my phone compared to apple I always felt so stuck with the same as everyone else.Apart from the battery which could be better it's perfect.Quick question is this the last of nexus or are we gonna see more released I heard pixel isn't so good

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I've still got mine it was my first android phone from Apple I've been on apple years and bad bad boy made sure I never go back I love it and I plan on keeping it for as long as I can it's customisations are great I feel like it's really my phone compared to apple I always felt so stuck with the same as everyone else.Apart from the battery which could be better it's perfect.Quick question is this the last of nexus or are we gonna see more released I heard pixel isn't so good
This is the last one I believe.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm keeping mine but may have to see about getting a new battery. I don't know of any local places that will change the battery for me. Accubattery says that my battery is at 74%

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm keeping mine but may have to see about getting a new battery. I don't know of any local places that will change the battery for me. Accubattery says that my battery is at 74%
This is what you need to get (see link). There's got to be a place where u can get it installed for $20 or so.

UoUo New Replacement HB416683ECW 3550mAh Battery For Huawei Google Nexus 6P H1511 H1512 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07478ZXP...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6068227

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The battery is really the only weak point... Huawei set this thing up to live fast and die young. Most phones use a peak charging voltage of 4.35v, but the 6P pushed that to 4.4v. So this, combined with a charging profile that's fairly aggressive to speed up charging times (it's the 80-100 speed that's the killer) means the battery will degrade a lot quicker than it's contemporaries.

So unless you go to the extreme solution of never charging this thing over 80/85% unless you need that extra bump, I'd expect you'd need a new battery every 12 to 18 months.

Otherwise.. yeah, the phone is still an excellent performer. I have my wife my 6P back in May and she's had nothing but great things to say about it. It still runs great... Even two years after launch.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Byrese and LeoRex. I got the battery shutdown this morning and my battery was at 50%! So, maybe this time it was linked to doze mode?? So irritating! I did watch a couple of youtube videos on how to replace the battery, so I may just go that route. This problem only started a few software updates ago.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Byrese and LeoRex. I got the battery shutdown this morning and my battery was at 50%! So, maybe this time it was linked to doze mode?? So irritating! I did watch a couple of youtube videos on how to replace the battery, so I may just go that route. This problem only started a few software updates ago.

Look on Yelp for a local shop that might replace your battery. I bought a replacement battery with tools off of eBay for $15. I then went on Yelp and searched for a local shop to take my phone in. After making a couple calls, I took my phone to a shop not far from me, and for a charge of $40, my phone is good as new. I was in and out in 30 minutes. Give it a shot.

Make sure though, that when looking for a replacement, you look for a battery that has a thicker connector ribbon and temperature control. A thicker connector ribbon means that it's basically double the size of other batteries' ribbons. That's how you'll know that it's a genuine OEM battery and not a fake.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
By the way.. the only shop that I found that will do 6Ps is UBreakiFix.

Thanks for posting that! I have two of those shops near me and am requesting a quote.
ETA: The quote is $85 and a 2-hr timeframe. I may just do it myself.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting that! I have two of those shops near me and am requesting a quote.
Yeah, the closest one to me was about a 30 minute drive. That being said, make sure you stress to them about NOT gouging the frame trying to get the visor glass out. My shop apparently did not realize that suction cups exist.

RolandStone

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My local UBreakIFix refused. saying some BS about bad motherboards. They never even saw my phone. They wanted nothing to do with 6Ps. That was in Marina Del Rey, CA. Maybe I'll try a different store.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo