Call quality microphone (that old issue!)

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I know theres tons of posts and potential fixes for the call quality issue, apparently caused by the noise cancelling mic on the rear. I've tried most (on the missus 6p) but still the issue intermittently and it bugs me as I have to hear it!
I'm prepared to root the phone if I have to but a quick question.
The root, then disable noise cancellation, has this worked for you guys and does it affect the microphone when recording video?

I read putting tape over the rear microphone is supposed to work but affects audio as the video recording uses the rear microphone.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Anyone? Tempted to get rid and get a moto g6 which is a bit of a shame as it's the only thing the missus complains about with the 6p

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, never had the problem so never had to fix it.
I've read some stuff in the Magisk forum about modules that are supposed to fix the problem, and it was relatively easy to get Magisk installed (as a root solution) on my Nexus 6P so it might be worth a shot rather than junking the phone.
Link to Magisk https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_sfid=5903&share_fid=3793&share_type=sf
One possible solution https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=3503128&share_fid=3793&share_type=t

Last edited:

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I don't mind trying root but curious as whether this affects the audio on video recording as that could also be a problem.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I've tried tape over mic but still very poor cancellation / mic issues. I will now try root albeit I thought the tape had a similar effect. If this doesn't fix it the phone is going to have to go. Something as fundamental as call quality isn't acceptable. Real shame as she's really happy with the rest of the phone!

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to have to get rid of the phone if I can't sort this. The tape over the mic doesn't help. I can try root and disabling the mic but looking at some feedback as above if this affects video recording.
It's a real shame as the missus loves the phone for camera, battery is fine, and it's quick enough.