Android 10?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes Javier, a large red banner at the top of the settings page.

I'm sticking with nova until a fix is forthcoming.
That's a problem with Google and Nokia, unfortunately nothing that Nova can fix. Some OEMs, like OnePlus, have full gestures enabled while using a custom launchers, it seems that Nokia decided to disable this feature for now. Maybe it will be available with the next security patch, as it happened with the older Pixels.

Macdtek

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Well it's downloaded and seems ok..... so far. I've noticed that even though I'm 💯% charged the battery monitor says theres only enough power for 2 hours!!!.

I'll leave it on over night (I'm using my Moto G7 power) and see what its like in the morning with no use.

Well I restarted my Nokia before I went to bed and the battery monitor changed form the less than 2 hrs to more than 6!!! So this morning with no over night use the battery is still able to give me at least a good 3/4's of a day use with no issues.

Just a quick observation, as I'm using Nova launcher the default like others have said is 2 buttons and NOT full jesture less usage. Also it may be my new glasses but I'm sure the icons are more crisp / defined and the screen seems sharper, quicker to respond.

Merry Christmas to all

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Well I restarted my Nokia before I went to bed and the battery monitor changed form the less than 2 hrs to more than 6!!! So this morning with no over night use the battery is still able to give me at least a good 3/4's of a day use with no issues.

Just a quick observation, as I'm using Nova launcher the default like others have said is 2 buttons and NOT full jesture less usage. Also it may be my new glasses but I'm sure the icons are more crisp / defined and the screen seems sharper, quicker to respond.

Merry Christmas to all
Yes, my battery suffered the same hickup directly after the initial instal but I always perform a couple of restarts after anyway.

Are you staying with Nova and two button nav?

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
So it appears tap and hold brings out the app menu drawer.

How? I'm trying and it doesn't seem to work? Is there a specific way? That is one of the most annoying of the shortcomings. Not being able to pull out the app menu drawer...ugh...LOL...but I'm committed to try out the full gestures navigation...for a whole week and then I'll see how it compares to the two buttons version...🥴

Anywho...here is a link to a short tutorial about Android 10 gestures:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/android-10-master-googles-phone-gestures-with-these-8-tips/

Last edited:

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
How? I'm trying and it doesn't seem to work? Is there a specific way? That is one of the most annoying of the shortcomings. Not being able to pull out the app menu drawer...ugh...LOL...but I'm committed to try out the full gestures navigation...for a whole week and then I'll see hit it compares to the two buttons version...

Anywho...here is a link to a short tutorial about Android 10 gestures:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/android-10-master-googles-phone-gestures-with-these-8-tips/
I'm sure you just swipe up and hold for a second. I may be wrong cause I haven't actually tried it yet until Nova gets sorted.

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
I'm sure you just swipe up and hold for a second. I may be wrong cause I haven't actually tried it yet until Nova gets sorted.

Actually the workaround is in the link I attached to my previous message. If you swipe (left to right) in a downwards angle you can pull out the app menu drawer...

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
December patch
dc2f80796fbceaef9785569c28a2707d.jpg

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site

I've been using the full gestures navigation for little over a week now and while I still have a few things to get used to, based on the experience up to now, I think I'll stick with this setting for the foreseeable future.

After the December security patch update, battery life seems to have stabilized as well. There's still a bit of a difference, as in on Android 10 it seems to be a bit weaker, but difference is now pretty negligible (1-2%).

The apps have also corrected themselves with some updates and I regained most of the 1GB of memory I had lost after installing Android 10.

All in all not bad. I still think they can refine the gestures navigations even further. Like being able to swipe downwards anywhere on the screen and bring down the notification and menu/settings shade...as well as a peek function to the Gmail inbox.

I really wish Google adopted the BlackBerry Hub, Keyboard and Privacy Shade...they would be awesome additions to Android One! (and, yes, I know I can download and install them, but I don't want to pay BlackBerry or have to download the Black Berry Hub + Services).

Last edited:

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the full gestures navigation for little over a week now and while I still have a few things to get used to, based on the experience up to now, I think I'll stick with this setting for the foreseeable future.

After the December security patch update, battery live seems to have stabilized as well. There's still a bit of a difference, as in on Android 10 it seems to be a bit weaker, but difference is now pretty negligible (1-2%).

The apps have also corrected themselves with some updates and I regained most of the 1GB of memory I had lost after installing Android 10.

All in all not bad. I still think they can refine the gestures navigations even further. Like being able to swipe downwards anywhere on the screen and bring down the notification and menu/settings shade...as well as a peek function to the Gmail inbox.

I really wish Google adopted the BlackBerry Hub, Keyboard and Privacy Shade...they would be awesome additions to Android One! (and, yes, I know I can download and install them, but I don't want to pay BlackBerry or have to download the Black Berry Hub + Services).
It's good to read your views but still don't understand why you won't use Cobalts BlackBerry Manager. I only use it for the keyboard and password keeper. I don't use the hub as now I'm retired, I see no need for it. I haven't noticed any resource hog either.

To be honest, as I don't use gestures because I use Nova launcher, 10 doesn't seem a very big upgrade from Pie in my opinion. Battery life is no different for me

adonesc76

Jun 2, 2019
Visit site
It's good to read your views but still don't understand why you won't use Cobalts BlackBerry Manager. I only use it for the keyboard and password keeper. I don't use the hub as now I'm retired, I see no need for it. I haven't noticed any resource hog either.

To be honest, as I don't use gestures because I use Nova launcher, 10 doesn't seem a very big upgrade from Pie in my opinion. Battery life is no different for me

I'm not too crazy about sideloading any apps (especially non official ones) and screwing around with the settings in Android One. I like what I have right now and am not looking to mess it up.

Besides it should be up to BlackBerry to make it's apps widely available to as many consumers as possible with no obstacles. I don't want to have to pay or jump through hoops, especially for BlackBerry. I may miss some stuff from them, but not enough to bungle up my current device or OS.

This is why I left BlackBerry in the first place. I was almost a decade with that company as a consumer and purchased several of their devices, both BB10 and BlackDroid (and even one legacy OS device in the beginning). I stayed with them through three different platforms and Operating System versions (and I'm not even counting the PlayBook OS). All through that time, it was just drama, they were unreliable, with shoddy customer service and zero ability on their part to come up with a valid strategy regarding their consumers.

There came a time when it didn't make any sense to stick around. Too much hassle and too expensive.

For me HMD Global provided a most welcome alternative, besides having the chance to use Nokia was like coming home once again (it was the original brand I used for over a decade prior to BlackBerry.)

The fact that my 7.1 is coupled with Android One is even better. Not everything is perfect, there are some shortcomings here and there, but by and large, thinking about what I went through with BlackBerry...there is no comparison.

No way am I getting with BlackBerry again...

Last edited:

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not too crazy about sideloading any apps (especially non official ones) and screwing around with the settings in Android One. I like what I have right now and am not looking to mess it up.

Besides it should be up to BlackBerry to make it's apps widely available to as many consumers as possible with no obstacles. I don't want to have to pay or jump through hoops, especially for BlackBerry. I may miss some stuff from them, but not enough to bungle up my current device or OS.

This is why I left BlackBerry in the first place. I was almost a decade with that company as a consumer and purchased several of their devices, both BB10 and BlackDroid (and even one legacy OS device in the beginning). I stayed with them through three different platforms and Operating System versions (and I'm not even counting the PlayBook OS). All through that time, it was just drama, they were unreliable, with shoddy customer service and zero ability on their part to come up with a valid strategy regarding their consumers.

There came a time when it didn't make any sense to stick around. Too much hassle and too expensive.

For me HMD Global provided a most welcome alternative, besides having the chance to use Nokia again was like coming home once again (it was the original brand I used for over a decade prior to BlackBerry.)

The fact that my 7.1 is coupled with Android One is even better. Not everything is perfect, there are some shortcomings here and there, but by and large, thinking about what I went through with BlackBerry...there is no comparison.

No way am I getting with BlackBerry again...
Wow, I could have written that myself (almost). I was with BlackBerry from 2008 to 2017 and went from an 8320 up to a Z30. I even dug out my old playbook 3 weeks ago and had to stack charge it to get it going again.

I left BlackBerry for the same reason and went with Nokia for the same reason, but using Cobalts Manager, I feel I'm getting my own back on BlackBerry because it's free and the keyboard and password keeper work really well.

Just love my Android One 7.1 and couldn't be happier.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I've tried the stock launcher to use the gestures and it seems to work quite well but I cannot get the " home screen " swipe to work from the centre, bottom of the screen up.

When I swipe within an app it does take me back to the home screens but not to my actual HOME screen.

Maybe it's because I still have Nova installed?

Any ideas guys?

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've tried the stock launcher to use the gestures and it seems to work quite well but I cannot get the " home screen " swipe to work from the centre, bottom of the screen up.

When I swipe within an app it does take me back to the home screens but not to my actual HOME screen.

Maybe it's because I still have Nova installed?

Any ideas guys?

It could be that Nova is causing the issue, even though you have stock chosen.
Have you gotten it working?

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
It could be that Nova is causing the issue, even though you have stock chosen.
Have you gotten it working?
No I haven't T.

Maybe I've got it wrong but I assumed that the home swipe would take you back to the main home screen. If I'm in an app it always takes me back to the home screen that I came from, not the home screen with the clock and date. Subsequent swipes then merely bring up the app drawer.

Have I misunderstood the behavior of this action?