Pictures taken with the Nokia 9 Pureview

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
One more question to ask about, aspect ratio...

The Nokia Lumia phones had the ability to use the full sensor all the time, meaning, if you shot in 4:3, you got a little bit more height in the field of view, compared to 16:9 which gave up some height, but then gave you width.

I tried my Nokia 8, and the 16:9 shots are just cropped 4:3.

So I wonder what they've done with the Nokia 9. I think many people tend to leave the camera on default, but since phone screens are getting wider than 16:9, I kind of prefer to shoot in 16:9, if there's no significant sacrifice in quality.

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
One more question to ask about, aspect ratio...

The Nokia Lumia phones had the ability to use the full sensor all the time, meaning, if you shot in 4:3, you got a little bit more height in the field of view, compared to 16:9 which gave up some height, but then gave you width.

I tried my Nokia 8, and the 16:9 shots are just cropped 4:3.

So I wonder what they've done with the Nokia 9. I think many people tend to leave the camera on default, but since phone screens are getting wider than 16:9, I kind of prefer to shoot in 16:9, if there's no significant sacrifice in quality.

Judging by the file size, I'm guessing the 9 uses crops too. Here's a sample of a 16:9 that I just took in regular photo mode, depth off.

IMG_20190401_135126.jpg

DogEarsAZ

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Haven't been out to take any really interesting photos lately, but here is one of some wings from lunch today. What's most interesting here is not a greatly lit bar, did a good job IMO with the lighting that was available.

IMG_20190401_125443.jpg

Straight jpg out of the camera, no post processing.

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
Judging by the file size, I'm guessing the 9 uses crops too. Here's a sample of a 16:9 that I just took in regular photo mode, depth off.

You would have to compare two photos, or check the number of pixels in each direction. 16:9 will always have smaller file sizes for a fixed sensor size, because the sensor is a circle, so it depends how you get that rectangle within a circle.

I found the following picture which should show what's going on, it was from a Nokia Lumia 920;

93183d1420637830t-gsmarena_001.jpg

Things to note is that sometimes when a sensor is advertised, they use the two larger dimensions, which is misleading as you can't take photos at that many megapixels. It also means that even when optimally fitted, the 16:9 photos will always have a lesser area than 4:3, which is why file size will always be smaller. Lastly, to get the maximum area on the sensor, you would want to have a square photo.

In order to test it properly, you would have to take two photos and compare the field of view in each direction, or check the resolution of said photos and see whether the horizontal is the same or different. If you take photos, an easy way is to place a corner of your view on some physical corner, like a door jam and the floor, or a wall and the floor, and then just see whether the 16:9 photo displays more width.

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone willing to try the Nokia 9 with a third party app for video like the Moment app or Filmic Pro? I'm interested in knowing which video options the hardware is capable of that's not included in the stock app.

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
Is anyone willing to try the Nokia 9 with a third party app for video like the Moment app or Filmic Pro? I'm interested in knowing which video options the hardware is capable of that's not included in the stock app.

Here's what the Filmic Pro evaluator says about the Nokia 9 (I didn't want to spend $15 until I research it more because it doesn't have that high of ratings)

Screenshot_06.jpgScreenshot_05.jpg
Screenshot_04.jpgScreenshot_03.jpg
Screenshot_02.jpgScreenshot_01.jpg

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Nice. Looks like a promising list of features but once again it's the same problem with the Android version is that there are so many phones and it's probably not optimized for the Nokia 9 yet especially since it's not a popular phone. The Moment app seems to suffer from the same issue of device implementation. That's one reason why the iOS versions are almost always better. I think I'll have to stick with my V30 because of the built in manual controls for video and the ability to shoot LOG natively.

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
Nice. Looks like a promising list of features but once again it's the same problem with the Android version is that there are so many phones and it's probably not optimized for the Nokia 9 yet especially since it's not a popular phone. The Moment app seems to suffer from the same issue of device implementation. That's one reason why the iOS versions are almost always better. I think I'll have to stick with my V30 because of the built in manual controls for video and the ability to shoot LOG natively.

Yeah, if you're frequently using a phone for video, I would not recommend the Nokia. I'm a professional videographer/video editor so I have $4k camcorders to use, thus I rarely use a phone for video. :)
BTW, that evaluator was an app that they have on the Play store that I downloaded, so those stats were based on my phone. I just wanted to make that clear.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, if you're frequently using a phone for video, I would not recommend the Nokia. I'm a professional videographer/video editor so I have $4k camcorders to use, thus I rarely use a phone for video. :)
BTW, that evaluator was an app that they have on the Play store that I downloaded, so those stats were based on my phone. I just wanted to make that clear.
Oh yeah I get the app evaluator part. Thanks for checking on that.

sd4f

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
Those cars do look nice, but the photos are starting to look like really good renders, and not actual photos. The depth blur must be processed similarly to some video games.

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
Those cars do look nice, but the photos are starting to look like really good renders, and not actual photos. The depth blur must be processed similarly to some video games.

Actually, it depends on how you set depth and blur. I deliberately over-set, especially the bottom one. I wanted to see if anyone commented, as you have. If you take the time you can actually get a photo to look like it was taken with a DSLR. Or, you can do what I've done here and make it obvious that it's not. There's a lot of flexibility with this camera. For photos that I want to keep, I set depth and blur to a minimum. You can also add foreground blur to soften the look. The nice thing is that, when depth is turned on, you can go back and change it if you don't like the results.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it depends on how you set depth and blur. I deliberately over-set, especially the bottom one. I wanted to see if anyone commented, as you have. If you take the time you can actually get a photo to look like it was taken with a DSLR. Or, you can do what I've done here and make it obvious that it's not. There's a lot of flexibility with this camera. For photos that I want to keep, I set depth and blur to a minimum. You can also add foreground blur to soften the look. The nice thing is that, when depth is turned on, you can go back and change it if you don't like the results.

This is one of the things I miss most from Nokia Lumia and they've brought back with the 9 PureView - 'Nokia Refocus' and the ability to select what part of the photo is in focus or even the subject AND background all in focus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana