Unable to transfer Photos/videos from Quickpick and Google Photos from my One Plus Two to my Laptop

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I want to perform Hard reset,of my android One Plus two. before that I want to Transfer and save Videos and photos, saved in QUICKPICK and Google PHOTO applications and contact lists of my android mobile One Plus Two, to my laptop. How can I do that?
I tried through USB cable from Mobile to laptop, but could not. it does shows internal Storage-> DCM->camera. It does not show these two applications i.e. Quickpick and google Photos or Videos .Also it does not show contact list.
I shall appreciate ,if you would kindly guide me ,step by step , as you did in my last week's post. ( Saving of Musical Videos. solved by by senior Ambassador Didi )

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember from our previous discussion that the photos aren't saved to the QuickPic or Google Photos apps themselves. Rather, the photos are saved to their own directory (or directories), and those gallery apps just display them regardless of where they're located.

When you connect your phone to your laptop, unlock the phone screen and swipe down the notification panel. You should see a USB notification icon -- tap that, and make sure MTP (or File Transfer) is selected.

Then, on your laptop, open Windows Explorer, select your phone from the device list, and start looking for the directories where your photos and videos are saved. If you're only talking about photos you took with the phone's camera, they would be in the /DCIM/Camera directory.

Let's stop there for now to make sure this makes sense so far.

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Let me first apologise for all the confusion created by me, for being non Technical.
On LAPTOP,photos, videos are saved in scattered folders like pictures, music of this PC and also in folders of C Drive.
In MOBILE these videos are saved in Google photos, Gallery,Quick Pick, Movies folder/ Directory of Internal Storage.
Now I would like to COPY TRANSFER my videos, Photos FROM THESE DIRECTORIES/FOLDERS OF MOBILE PHONE TO LAPTOP.
1. Should I transfer these to VIDEO /PICTURE Directories of Laptop from Mobile , and Re transfer back to Mobile (after the Hard Reset ) to original Directories/folders like Google photos, Quickpick, Internal Storage ( Movies Folder/ Directory )?
I shall appreciate for your valuable guidance.
Thanks and regards

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The videos are not saved to Google Photos or QuickPic, because those are gallery apps, and gallery apps aren't storage locations. Gallery apps build a database of all of the photos and videos stored anywhere on the phone and display them, regardless of where they're stored. The storage locations of the videos are the directories where they're saved, which I assume is the /Movies directory.

If you want to copy those videos to the laptop, connect the phone to the laptop via USB as I described in my previous post. Then use Windows File Explorer to navigate to the phone's /Movie directory, and select the videos you want to copy, and then drag and drop them to the preferred directory on the laptop's hard drive. Make sure you use the Copy command, not the Move command.

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a lot. I will follow the guidance given by you.
From the detailed guidance given by you, What I understand is all photos Videos are stored in INTERNAL STORAGE and from there we can copy to Google Photos/videos ,Quickpick etc in Mobile ?
Is it advisable to store/copy all the photos and videos to respective directories of laptop instead of different locations like C drive and other folders?
Just for my interest, Is it possible to create sub folders for the Videos/ photos in Laptop's Movie /Picture directory so that when I RECOPY those to mobile, I can copy back to respective Gallery applications of Mobile i.e. to Photos and quickpick?
Thanks and Regards

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What I understand is all photos Videos are stored in INTERNAL STORAGE and from there we can copy to Google Photos/videos ,Quickpick etc in Mobile ?

No, Google Photos and Quickpic are gallery apps, not storage locations. Just think of them as a viewer for the photos and videos that are stored anywhere on the phone's storage (or an SD card inserted in the phone). Any gallery app like Google Photos or Quickpic should be able to locate any image stored on the phone's storage and display it. (There's an exception to this, but we won't discuss it unless it becomes an issue for you.)

Is it advisable to store/copy all the photos and videos to respective directories of laptop instead of different locations like C drive and other folders?

You can organize photos on your laptop computer however you like. I would recommend using a directory called /Photos or something like that on your main hard drive (in other words, C:/Photos), but then you can create as many subdirectories you want to organize the photos how you want -- either by month, or by geographic location, or by subject (e.g., C:/Photos/Family). It's up to you.

Is it possible to create sub folders for the Videos/ photos in Laptop's Movie /Picture directory so that when I RECOPY those to mobile, I can copy back to respective Gallery applications of Mobile i.e. to Photos and quickpick?

I realize this is a bit tricky to get used to, but remember again that if you transfer a movie or picture from the laptop back to the phone, you're not transferring it directly into any gallery app, since as we discussed above, the gallery app is not a storage location -- it's just a viewer. You have to decide where to transfer that movie or picture on the phone -- it won't automatically re-create the folder structure you have on your laptop.

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a lot.
1. Can I transfer it to Internal storage and from there to Google Photos and or gallery ,applications as suggested by You?
Then If I delete any file from application folder like gallery or Google photo, will it also get deleted from Internal Storage and vice versa?
2. Can I transfer file from My Drive to Internal Storage and vice versa?
Thanks and regards.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. Can I transfer it to Internal storage and from there to Google Photos and or gallery ,applications as suggested by You?
Then If I delete any file from application folder like gallery or Google photo, will it also get deleted from Internal Storage and vice versa?

Once the photo or video files are on your phone's Internal Storage, they will show up in your gallery app automatically. There is no need to transfer the files to the gallery app, because the gallery app is a viewer, not a storage location.

2. Can I transfer file from My Drive to Internal Storage and vice versa?

What do you mean by "My Drive"? Are you talking about Google Drive?

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
1.Sorry, in my mobile it has been mentioned as My Drive though it is Google Drive,version 2.20.141.03.45 .So my query is Can I transfer file from Google Drive to Internal Storage and vice versa?
2. Understand, Gallery contents can be viewed only from Android Device, while contents of Google Photo can be viewed from Android as well as laptop also.Is this true?
Thanks and regards

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks or your guidance. Since I am likely to go for new Mobile, I will revert to you after that.
Hope to e in touch with you in future.

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
deletion of files from Internal storage

ONE PLUS 2
have downloaded and saved musical videos from laptop to internal storage of my android mobile, one plus Two.Some of those were saved in Google Drive and few in google photos, as well. These videos were saved / Transferred through Gmail and and also through USB cable. Now when I try to transfer further videos through Gmail, it can not be uploaded and Get message Error-Server Reject.
1. Now how to transfer/save those?
2. can I delete those duplicate videos saved on google photos and google Drive and create space in storage?
Shall appreciate your guidance.
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi again -- I merged your new thread into your older one, since it looks like the same or similar issues.

If you copied the video files from your laptop to your phone's internal storage, and you didn't upload them from there to Google Drive, then they're not in your Google Drive. If you didn't upload the videos to your Google Photos in the cloud (and if you don't have Google Photos set to auto-backup the folder where those videos are), then those photos aren't saved to your Google Photos. (You can tell if a photo or video is saved to your Google Photos cloud by going to photos.google.com on your computer browser and see if they show up there.)

It would make more sense for you to open your Gmail app on the phone (not on the laptop), then save the attached videos from there. I think those videos would save to the /Download directory. You could then use a file manager app to move the downloaded video from the /Download directory to whichever directory you want (I'd recommend the /Movies directory for easier organization).

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your prompt and useful informative reply.
Let me apologise to you for not able togive correct picture and confusing you.
As mentioned earlier, First these videos were transferred from my laptop -> Internal storage-> Movies->in subfolder XXX., with help of USB cable.That time, those were not saved in Google photo but were saved in Google Drive.Later on I copied some of those manually to Google Photos and Home screen of the mobile
Now I want to add and edit new couple of video downloads from Laptop to the same folder. For that I tried to transfer those through G Mail attachment. But unfortunately, when I try to upload the attachment I am getting message, " Error- Server Reject.' So I am unable to do so.
In short, my request s are as follows
1. I want to have all these videos in One Directory/folder for easy access and considering availability of the storage.Incidentally, Google Drive storage utilisation as on today is 99% full.
2. I have also copied all these videos, including new one on flash drive. can I delete all these videos from all the locations, i.e. Internal storage/Google Drive/ Google.Photo , Home screen etc. first from my android mobile and copy from Flash Drive to the directory/ Folder, I wish to. If so would you please help me to suggest folder/directory/ application, where I should save the same?
Thank you and regards

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That time, those were not saved in Google photo but were saved in Google Drive.Later on I copied some of those manually to Google Photos

This is the first thing to clarify. If you uploaded a video to Google Drive, and then later uploaded the video separately to Google Photos, then it's taking up double the space it needs to

I tried to transfer those through G Mail attachment. But unfortunately, when I try to upload the attachment I am getting message, " Error- Server Reject.' So I am unable to do so

Gmail has a 25 MB file attachment size limit, so if the video files were greater than 25 MB in size, that could cause problems.

1. I want to have all these videos in One Directory/folder for easy access and considering availability of the storage.Incidentally, Google Drive storage utilisation as on today is 99% full.

If your Google Drive is 99% full, then it might be time to purchase more space using the Google One subscription program: https://one.google.com/faq/plans-pricing

2. I have also copied all these videos, including new one on flash drive. can I delete all these videos from all the locations, i.e. Internal storage/Google Drive/ Google.Photo , Home screen etc. first from my android mobile and copy from Flash Drive to the directory/ Folder, I wish to. If so would you please help me to suggest folder/directory/ application, where I should save the same?

If you have all of your video files on this flash drive, then it's reasonable to delete the same videos from your Google Drive and/or Google Photos to free up space. But do you intend to save the video files on the phone's storage only, or do you still want to keep them uploaded to the cloud somewhere? The cloud is safer, since the files will remain intact there no matter what; but if you only have the files saved to the phone's storage, then they could be lost if something happens to the phone.

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your prompt valuable guidance.
1. Where should i save the files in Phone for easy access and occupying minimum storage space?
2. I would like to store on Cloud but unfortunately I do not know how to access, load and operate Cloud. Would it be possible for you to guide in this matter?

Few hours back , I deleted my subject videos folder, consisting of about 8 Files occupying 8.24 GB of space, in my mobile ,from Internal Storage/ google Drive (Including trash/bin), Google photos.However the Google Drive shows no change in space, it still shows 100 % full.
I do not know why?
Once I get your reply , I shall follow your advice for storing preferably in Cloud.
looking forward to your useful guidance, as usual.
Thanks and regards

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. Where should i save the files in Phone for easy access and occupying minimum storage space?

I would recommend copying the video files to the directory called /Movie (or /Videos, if that's what it's called on your phone).

2. I would like to store on Cloud but unfortunately I do not know how to access, load and operate Cloud. Would it be possible for you to guide in this matter?

That would depend on which cloud you're talking about. There are many cloud storage options. If you want to use Google Drive, you'll probably have to buy more storage, as I previously mentioned. It's easy to upload files to Google Drive, either from your computer or your phone -- see here: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424368?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en&oco=2

Few hours back , I deleted my subject videos folder, consisting of about 8 Files occupying 8.24 GB of space, in my mobile ,from Internal Storage/ google Drive (Including trash/bin), Google photos.However the Google Drive shows no change in space, it still shows 100 % full.
I do not know why?

You probably just deleted the files from your phone's Internal Storage, and not from your Google Drive in the cloud. On your computer browser, go to drive.google.com and look for the files there. If you see them there, delete them.

ashokad71

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks .
1. As suggested by you,I gone through Google Drive, to my horror I saw all my other photos which are and were in google.photos are showing the folder's name as the same in one in which I had saved subject videos. not only this but when I go through the list of items in Recent directory of Drive, there also the same problem. How this can happen? I had never included my other photos in subject folder?How it can change the folder on its own?.Pl. help me a way to restore the earlier names of the files and folders.This will enable me to delete the folderlater on and create space.
2. Regarding Cloud, I will follow your advice. I was told that up to certain GB google cloud is free?
Anyway I now await your reply.
Thanks and regards

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. As suggested by you,I gone through Google Drive, to my horror I saw all my other photos which are and were in google.photos are showing the folder's name as the same in one in which I had saved subject videos. not only this but when I go through the list of items in Recent directory of Drive, there also the same problem. How this can happen? I had never included my other photos in subject folder?How it can change the folder on its own?.Pl. help me a way to restore the earlier names of the files and folders.This will enable me to delete the folderlater on and create space.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Show us a screenshot of what you're seeing: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

2. Regarding Cloud, I will follow your advice. I was told that up to certain GB google cloud is free?

Everyone gets 15 GB of free Google Drive space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38