Display criticism sends OnePlus CEO on a rant

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
This part is totally nonsense. There were corners cut and sacrifices made on literally every component of this device - as there are on at least some features for most devices - but the OP3 sacrificed on all fronts. There's literally something better at every aspect of the device already on the market. That's why my first biggest problem with the OP3 was the "Never Settle" marketing.

I disagree. Yes, there were some corners cut, but, as you said, all phones contain compromises. The materials used in the OnePlus 3 are very good quality -- on par with the HTC 10. The fingerprint scanner on the front is top notch and works as well as others. The processor used is on par with other "flagship" phones out right now. The screen is 1080p -- so what. That is what Apple is using. Sony is putting 4K screens in their phones -- does that mean that Samsung is "cutting corners" when it does not use a 4K screen. Is the OnePlus 3 perfect -- no, far from it. But I do not see where OnePlus 3 is compromising any more than other manufactures. In fact, to me it seems very similar to the HTC 10. It does not have quite the screen resolution, but the screen is larger (as is the phone). Does that justify HTC charging twice as much? I don't think so.

I am still trying out the OnePlus 3 and may or may not keep it. I do like a lot about it, but I also have questions, mostly about how OnePlus will handle it. I am tired of reading how crappy it is as a phone, however. It is not. I am using it over my S7, S7 Edge and 6S plus. There are very few "compromises" from those phones.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The screen is 1080p -- so what. That is what Apple is using.

1080p isn't the problem, my Nexus 5X is 1080p. 1080p pentile stretched over 5.5" is a problem and aiming at and poorly executing on the wrong color gamut is a problem - it just shows that OP doesn't seem to know what makes a display good.

I am still trying out the OnePlus 3 and may or may not keep it. I do like a lot about it, but I also have questions, mostly about how OnePlus will handle it. I am tired of reading how crappy it is as a phone, however. It is not. I am using it over my S7, S7 Edge and 6S plus. There are very few "compromises" from those phones.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you liking the device because of or in spite of it's "flaws". You like what you like - and should buy that.

My first reaction for the OP3 was very bad because I was expecting a flagship, saw the "Never Settle" and realized it's basically a mid-ranger with a top notch build and processor - so it's something weird. My second reaction was assuming that the device could be better than the sum of it's parts, like the Moto G and Nexus 5X and to just treat it like a pretty decent midranger. My third has been in the face of people denying the things that make it a midranger and trying to compare it to the S7 Edge as if they're equivalents - and they're simply not. I'm no fan of Samsung, at all, but there's no denying their flagship this year is better at everything than the OP3. Which is fine, it's $300-400 more and meant to be an industry leader. There's nothing wrong with not leading the industry on every component - as long as you don't claim that you are. So when the CEO goes nuts like this and doubles down on how much he doesn't know about the industry, it's going to get a reaction that highlights that ignorance. Doesn't impact the device at all - but it does put doubts on future plans without replacing that guy and/or those strategies.

butler83

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
As said there is nothing wrong with 1080p, I think the Nexus 7 2013 has an excellent display and that's 7". It's the pentile and the way the colours look on the op3 that just doesn't look right to me, next to my moto x style the moto is a little warmer but everything else is clearly better. But the op3 is almost better every other way than the moto (apart from ram/multitasking).

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Pei seems rather over-excited...Saying that no corners were cut also seems to be quite a stretch since I know that a lot of products have their own set of compromises.

R.I.P GPe program

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pei seems rather over-excited...Saying that no corners were cut also seems to be quite a stretch since I know that a lot of products have their own set of compromises.

R.I.P GPe program

Literally every phone has compromises - some are based on price, some on space, some on heat considerations, some on weight, some on what's available at the time (looking at you Nexus 6). The OP3 has more than most that want to be considered "flagships"; having compromises isn't bad. Failing to admit them is bad.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Literally every phone has compromises - some are based on price, some on space, some on heat considerations, some on weight, some on what's available at the time (looking at you Nexus 6). The OP3 has more than most that want to be considered "flagships"; having compromises isn't bad. Failing to admit them is bad.
I agree with that. I have never seen any phone that has literally no-compromise, for a variety of reasons, whether that's price, build or heat, regardless of price.

I wouldn't mind if OnePlus admitted that there were some compromises for any reason, but saying that no corners were cut was quite a stretch to me. Don't get me wrong, I still like the phone, especially for its hardware and relative price tag, but obviously, some compromises have to be made. That goes for any phone out there.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the OP3 has a very compelling value argument that is slightly twisted by the Nexus 5X but otherwise immensely strong.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the OP3 has a very compelling value argument that is slightly twisted by the Nexus 5X but otherwise immensely strong.
Personally not big on the 5X, but I hope its successor would be a real gem at around the same price.

Nothing wrong with the phone itself, though. Just that I wasn't so keen on it.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
820 snapdragon
ufs
6gb ram
highest quality finger print sensor
high grade aluminum frame
gorilla glass 4

I don't see where they cut corners.

The display is 1080p but that was more for performance than cost. It is the latest generation that Samsung has to offer. Lots of people also like the screen, so in the end it's just your own opinion.

Oh and it's $399.

What I never understand about people is nobody is forcing you to buy things. If you don't like it, there are plenty of Android devices that can suit your needs. If you can't afford those devices, that's most likely your fault and not the manufacturers. So if this doesn't fit your needs, ignore it. No reason to come in here and bash the device, saying they failed to deliver.

Nobody is entitled to receive the perfect phone at a budget price. Nobody.

Last edited:

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
The One Plus 3 a mid ranger? Lol come on man this thing is absurdly good. Battery life is nuts so far and it simply does not even get warm no matter what you throw at it, 1080p was an excellent choice IMO. Screen looks great. Nope not as sharp at my LG V10 or nexus 6 and about equal to my iPhone 6s. The pentile arrangement makes it so the effective resolution is 880p which translates to 326 ppi on a 5.5 inch screen, that's the so called retina threshold, I think they know what they're doing guys.

I will say that going from the v10 to the one plus 3 was a startling difference in screen sharpness but your eyes adjust and I got used to it pretty quick and the quality itself looks far better than my super warm whites of the nexus 6 and the blacks are worlds better than the greyish ones on the V10.

I also find it hilarious that people are bashing the 1+3 for having 6gb of ram because "we don't need it" but in the very next breath they say that they should have gone 1440p on the screen, um yep because that's "needed" alright.

If corners were cut it was on that craptastic screen protector that comes pre installed

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't see where they cut corners.

The display is 1080p but that was more for performance than cost.
Like what me and Assassin said in one of our previous posts, every phone has its own set of compromises for a variety of reasons. Whether that's a smaller battery for a thinner build in the Moto Z or iPhone, a slippery design for a more "premium" build that allows for wireless charging on the Galaxy S7 or a little gap between the chin and body of the device for the LG G5's removable battery that doubles as a modular component.

The 1080p display is obviously a compromise. Some say it's for price but others say it's for performance. To me, it's more of a mix of the 2. Is it a deal breaker? To me, no. Sure, it's PenTile, but in daily use, I really don't think you'd be bothered that much unless you use your phone for VR or operate at a closer distance. If you're the type who favors accurate color reproduction, then maybe the OnePlus 3 may not be up your alley, but I don't think it's an issue that most consumers and users will mind too much, though I'm curious about the sRGB mode, especially since early impressions did remark that it was "pleasant to look at" in that mode, so I'm curious to see how much of a difference sRGB makes in terms of color accuracy. Remember, it's a $399 phone, so don't expect too much out of it, but for what it is and what it offers, it's actually a pretty damn good phone, especially when you consider its price.

I still think Pei's statement that they didn't cut any corners is a bit of a stretch because every phone has its own set of compromises to reach a bottom line. It's up to you to decide if those compromises are worth it. You buy what you like.

Last edited:

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I hear a lot of people calling this a mid range phone but, apart from the pentile display, I think I'm missing how this is mid range?

This phone switched me off of Samsung because it is faster, has tiny side bezels, less bloat, an OS almost like Nova and it's the fastest phone - by a margin - I've used. I also didn't have to spend a sorry amount extra for 64GB cause that's included in the cheap, advertised price.

The build quality is awesome too btw. What have I missed here?

Edit: it's got the only fast charging you should be using on a phone too, btw. Hot charger/Cool phone is the only way things should be done. I never used fast charging on my Samsung, what was the point when it generated so much heat?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I hear a lot of people calling this a mid range phone but, apart from the pentile display, I think I'm missing how this is mid range?

This phone switched me off of Samsung because it is faster, has tiny side bezels, less bloat, an OS almost like Nova and it's the fastest phone - by a margin - I've used. I also didn't have to spend a sorry amount extra for 64GB cause that's included in the cheap, advertised price.

The build quality is awesome too btw. What have I missed here?

Edit: it's got the only fast charging you should be using on a phone too, btw. Hot charger/Cool phone is the only way things should be done. I never used fast charging on my Samsung, what was the point when it generated so much heat?

When you say "a lot of people" do you mean Assassin Droid? lol I've gone into it with him in other places how silly that is.

On the 5X, I wouldn't choose that over a OnePlus 2, or a Nexus 5, let alone a 3. It's the worst Nexus there's been, a true let down to its predecessor.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
When you say "a lot of people" do you mean Assassin Droid? lol I've gone into it with him in other places how silly that is.

On the 5X, I wouldn't choose that over a OnePlus 2, or a Nexus 5, let alone a 3. It's the worst Nexus there's been, a true let down to its predecessor.

TBH, I wouldn't pick both the 5X and OP2.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

lol.

The 5X is not the 6P so it doesn't compare to the S7E but it's hands down the best phone per dollar unless you get a discount on a year old moto G and snag it for under $100. It definitely hangs with the 2015 devices, though towards the middle of the pack.

To combat the hyperbole, compared to the Nexus 5 it's cheaper. It also has a better screen, camera, audio, security, charging, battery life, build quality, processor... It's literally better across the board on 100% of options.

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

I agree, the 5x is some serious trash. The OG Nexus 5 is a better phone. The One Plus 3 is such a powerhouse, my nexus 6 feels like a 1st gen Moto g in comparison performance wise :(

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
If you want to speak of "cutting corners" the 5x is a study in that. From the processor to the screen to the memory just about every corner was cut so that the overall experience with the phone is very poor. Lag, heat, want to throw it through a wall are the complaints I hear from the folks I know who own one, all of whom would not repeat the process if they had it to do over again.

The pricing of the phone is reflective of poor word of mouth affecting sales of the phone. Google is going to have to seriously discount the phone to move them all - which is absolutely amazing in my eyes. There is a market for this phone, folks want a phone of this size - but they don't want a phone with the 5x's drawbacks.

The OP3 is in fact a phone that is better than the sum of it's parts at least IMHO. I've had it now just about a week and notice no problems at all. No compromises that I can see, as long as I can continue to keep it out of the toilet. I find it absolutely amazing I'm coming from the Priv and it's absolutely awful experience (I still don't understand how AC made this phone an editor's pick) and the OP3 for 1/2 the original price, and still 150 below what BlackBerry is asking for it now, simply blows it away.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you want to speak of "cutting corners" the 5x is a study in that. From the processor to the screen to the memory just about every corner was cut so that the overall experience with the phone is very poor. Lag, heat, want to throw it through a wall are the complaints I hear from the folks I know who own one, all of whom would not repeat the process if they had it to do over again.

The pricing of the phone is reflective of poor word of mouth affecting sales of the phone. Google is going to have to seriously discount the phone to move them all - which is absolutely amazing in my eyes. There is a market for this phone, folks want a phone of this size - but they don't want a phone with the 5x's drawbacks.

The OP3 is in fact a phone that is better than the sum of it's parts at least IMHO. I've had it now just about a week and notice no problems at all. No compromises that I can see, as long as I can continue to keep it out of the toilet. I find it absolutely amazing I'm coming from the Priv and it's absolutely awful experience (I still don't understand how AC made this phone an editor's pick) and the OP3 for 1/2 the original price, and still 150 below what BlackBerry is asking for it now, simply blows it away.
They definitely aimed at a price point for the 5X, but not as drastically as you imply. They put on what was at the time the best screen in the industry for accuracy and still the best LCD. Yes it's plastic, but very well built. It has the SD 808, which at least two other flagships used last year. I did hear about performance issues but that was solved before I bought mine a few months ago. They implemented the best charging solution, dual front facing speakers, the best fingerprint scanner in the business and did so at a super low price.

That was an exercise in value. The difference is, Google wasn't trying to complete with the best of the best, they just came super close anyways because most of a device quality is found in the display, software, battery life, etc and there were definitely no shortcuts taken on those fronts.

Even today it's better than the OP3 on display, audio, charging tech, battery life, software quality, software updates and security and it's very comparable on camera and the actual performance on real world usage. It also works on more carriers and has more options available to the users buying the device. It's obviously not metal and the processing power of the OP3 is much better, once they fix the memory management. OP also has more storage, 64 isn't an option on the 5X and it should have been.

Today, that makes the 5X a better and cheaper device. By virtue at being better in more areas of the device. Is it better for everyone? Hell no. When OP fixes their software, they're going to be too close to call and it'll have to be based on the priorities of individual buyers.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
When I take subjective categories out of the equation, here's where I land on the OP3 comparison to the Nexus 5X

2016-06-26.png

The 5X wins more categories but the OP3 wins more sub categories and which categories are being won based on which qualities are most important to the users would make a HUGE difference in which is the best value. The OP3 destroyed on Camera, Performance and Build & Design and I gave them the nod on battery as noted. Since those are 3 hugely important factors, most people could stop the conversation there, look past the screen and be happy as a turtle in a bathtub with the OP3. I'm pretty into the screen, some subjective things that I didn't include, camera and software, security and software updates so that's how it becomes a closer fight for someone like me.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
They definitely aimed at a price point for the 5X, but not as drastically as you imply. They put on what was at the time the best screen in the industry for accuracy and still the best LCD. Yes it's plastic, but very well built. It has the SD 808, which at least two other flagships used last year. I did hear about performance issues but that was solved before I bought mine a few months ago. They implemented the best charging solution, dual front facing speakers, the best fingerprint scanner in the business and did so at a super low price.

That was an exercise in value. The difference is, Google wasn't trying to complete with the best of the best, they just came super close anyways because most of a device quality is found in the display, software, battery life, etc and there were definitely no shortcuts taken on those fronts.

Even today it's better than the OP3 on display, audio, charging tech, battery life, software quality, software updates and security and it's very comparable on camera and the actual performance on real world usage. It also works on more carriers and has more options available to the users buying the device. It's obviously not metal and the processing power of the OP3 is much better, once they fix the memory management. OP also has more storage, 64 isn't an option on the 5X and it should have been.

Today, that makes the 5X a better and cheaper device. By virtue at being better in more areas of the device. Is it better for everyone? Hell no. When OP fixes their software, they're going to be too close to call and it'll have to be based on the priorities of individual buyers.

The only thing the 5X has over the OP3 is quicker updates. Other than that, the OP3 is a superior phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana