GSMArena full review of OnePlus 3

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Great review.
Fills me with more confidence about my decision to order the oneplus 3.
Can't wait to get it...

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Maybe some of the posters who have never even seen the screen will read this review and will stop coming here trying to convince those of us who actually have the device how awful the screen is and how terrible the device is as a whole. I doubt it, because they ignore similar comments in the AC review and others, choosing to focus on a couple of critical reviews, but we can hope.

The bottom line is that you really have to nitpick the screen for it to be a problem and it is otherwise a really good phone.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Maybe some of the posters who have never even seen the screen will read this review and will stop coming here trying to convince those of us who actually have the device how awful the screen is and how terrible the device is as a whole. I doubt it, because they ignore similar comments in the AC review and others, choosing to focus on a couple of critical reviews, but we can hope.

The bottom line is that you really have to nitpick the screen for it to be a problem and it is otherwise a really good phone.

The screen is a non issue. It looks great to me. MKBHD said it in his OnePlus 3 review: people try to find what's wrong instead of what's right. For $399, everything is right on this phone for me.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
All things considered, I am enjoying the OnePlus 3 more than I did the HTC 10. Granted, I do not listen to music that often with headphones. I strongly feel that if you are just a casual music listener like I am, it's a no brainer to pick one up. It's a great phone.

butler83

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had the op3 for 5 days and It's a really good phone in almost every way but I just didn't like the screen, I have a moto x style and that screen is much better in ever way to my eyes, I prefer LCD over amoled as well. If screen isn't your first priority then the op3 is a great phone, very fast, great build, great battery life with very fast charging.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
All things considered, I am enjoying the OnePlus 3 more than I did the HTC 10. Granted, I do not listen to music that often with headphones. I strongly feel that if you are just a casual music listener like I am, it's a no brainer to pick one up. It's a great phone.

Actually this Pocketnow review says the headphone audio quality is surprisingly good. That is important to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkbH0QtssU4

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
people try to find what's wrong instead of what's right. For $399, everything is right on this phone for me.

The problem is that what's wrong with a device is usually what ruins the user experience. For example, the connectivity issues people have been talking about probably make this phone a no-go for me. I had those issues with the HTC one, so never again.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Well I am with T-Mobile so not sure if that matters since his experience was with AT&T. I haven't noticed any drops from WiFi either.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Going to have to weigh in here and state that just because some people, reviewers or regular people alike, enjoy the screen, does not make it measurably good. These are two different arguments - you and GSMArena are saying that you don't mind the screen or even enjoy it. Anandtech is stating that OnePlus aimed at the wrong targets on both what tech they used and which color gamut they targeted - and the software update promised has no guarantee of fixing the issue without careful calibration. It's preference vs objective measurements. The screen is objectively bad and subjectively enjoyable. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive as there are quite a few people who don't like accurate or high quality screens. It's not a matter of nitpicking, it's highlighting the difference between facts and preferences. Two separate points.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
GSMArena have published a 9 page review of all aspects of the new OnePlus 3 phone that is well worth reading for anyone thinking of purchasing it...

Confidence booster
OnePlus 3 review

Overall they loved it, especially compared to the OP2. I like that they go further in depth on many aspects of it than most reviews do. It's especially awesome that the camera with the IMX298 was executed well, hopefully that keeps it up in the top 10 devices for camera for quite a bit.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moderator Note: Thread has been cleaned. Please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts.

Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to think that One Plus has a good device on their hands here. Hopefully they can keep this momentum going.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to think that One Plus has a good device on their hands here. Hopefully they can keep this momentum going.

They absolutely do and they are hitting HARD on the value argument. As Martonik said yesterday, there is a very serious point to considering whether or not the flagships are better enough to warrant an extra $300. As you know, I'm not really a fan of Samsung to understate it and I've always thought that $700+ on a device is a little ridiculous - but I'd also concede the point that they and Apple are the only ones raking in the cash in this industry. For me, I would have a hard time justifying $300 more than a $400 device to get a better screen and a bunch of other stuff that's either so close as to not make much of a difference or stuff that's not high on my list of priorities. If the S7E and the OP3 existed in a vacuum at current prices... it'd be a very tough call for me. I like the software on the OP3 more, I like what Samsung's doing recently for updates, obviously Samsung's screen is better, neither one of them are my cup of tea for how they laid out the devices and they're both firing on all cylinders on making a quality built device, though I'd prefer metal over glass for the build materials.

Most of the people who have used the device say that the screen looks great and in some cases they're saying it's better than some others that I know to have fantastic displays. That means there is a solid chance that I could get over the differences and prefer the OP3 to the S7E.

Also looking for a followup display analysis with sRGB mode on the OP3 to see if it's well calibrated to that color gamut. That could change the OP3's ranking a lot.

The front page of this review says a very important point: "Overall, the OnePlus 3 is best described as driven by pragmatic choices." That's a hard bullet to swallow with the current level of competition at the flagship level. But I supported Moto when they made a very pragmatic device in the Moto X 2013. I wouldn't have been able to say in all seriousness that it's the best at everything from 2013 - obviously that'd be false - but IMO it was the best overall package due to the high level of execution and how intelligent some of those choices were. That's obviously the card that OP is playing - and when thinking about it in that vein... it's hard to argue against that strategy other than the "never settle" advertising, which I railed against some days ago and don't need to go through again. Every OEM settles on just about everything - the intelligence behind those compromises is what's important and the level of execution on the end product within those limitations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays