RAM BOOST

yvsmadhav

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Smartphones have been launched with 6 & 8 GB of RAM.My first PC came with 128 MB of RAM and my current computer has 4 GB of RAM. Do the smartphones really need this or is it just an unnecessary addition? In any case, the smartphones cannot replace computers despite the massive amounts of RAM.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
My Blackberry Priv has 3GB of RAM and it normally stays around the 2.5GB mark with a few apps open. Even the high end iPhone 7 doesn't have 4GB RAM and that performs exceptionally well. So, smartphones shouldn't need it but if you have software that chews up RAM then it's necessary. 😃

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember that PCs and Android devices use RAM differently, so you can't really compare them like that. At this time, it's very unlikely that 6-8 GB of RAM on an Android device will make any noticeable difference compared to one with 4 GB of RAM. This might change in a few years, but right now, the RAM arms race is kind of useless. It's just a selling point to users who don't fully understand how the phones work.

queensoft

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
Maybe it's a twofold approach:
1. marketing purposes - when customer hears "6 Gb of RAM" imediatelly think "wow, that's a great phone".
And forgets about weak CPU or GPU or low storage.
2. future proof - this one is tricky.
If they make the phone too good and still works after 3 years, nobody will buy the new models.
If they make it too weak and all of a sudden (like under 1 year) there are apps that really need so much RAM, customers will toss the phones and move to another brand.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It's specsmanship. No one needs 8gb ram or is going to need it for the next three years.

Considering all of the corners they cut, I hope it didn't cost too much for OnePlus to add.

iCoerce

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I use my OnePlus 3T with a ton of customization. 6gb of ram is definitely useful when I factor in that at least 1.5gb is locked in at all times