6gb/64gb or 8gb/128gb?

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to get a feel for which model people are going for. I honestly don't see the added value in $60 more for a midrange device to add 2gb of ram which will not even be utilized over the 6gb. As far as storage I feel that 64gb is more than enough for most people especially if you use google photos. Also with oneplus upgrading every 6 months it seems, extra storage would be a waste

TornadoRed

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered the 64GB version. I agree that the 8GB or RAM is overkill. I use Google Photos and SmugMug for storing photos/videos, and I don't store much music locally, so 64GB of storage should be plenty.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the 8GB. After a few months I'm not so happy with how the 6GB OP5 holds apps in memory. I see many more reloads than when the phone was new. I'm curious to see the difference.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So exciting to see that people are ordering already! I too would go for the smaller storage version. I rarely use up a ton of storage space and if I do, I have no problem deleting things to gain more space.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Your first mistake is thinking it's a midrange device... In terms of hardware spec it's as high end as you can get. I suppose my gaming desktop is low end because it doesn't have WiFi, Bluetooth or a card reader built in?

Now, there's two real world reasons to get the 8GB model:

1. You want 128GB of storage.

2. You are a "specwhore" and want a phone with higher power than literally any other phone on the market.

That said, considering the small gap between the two, unless your budget is super tight you may as well get the storage upgrade in my opinion.

And the additional RAM IS used. It's a myth that it isn't.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Your first mistake is thinking it's a midrange device... In terms of hardware spec it's as high end as you can get. I suppose my gaming desktop is low end because it doesn't have WiFi, Bluetooth or a card reader built in?

Now, there's two real world reasons to get the 8GB model:

1. You want 128GB of storage.

2. You are a "specwhore" and want a phone with higher power than literally any other phone on the market.

That said, considering the small gap between the two, unless your budget is super tight you may as well get the storage upgrade in my opinion.

Well I meant midrange in pricing not specs. I understand its a top spec'd phone. Considering $60 is more than a 10% premium on the more expensive model, and that oneplus seems to be updating these phones every 5-6 months, unless you think you will run short on storage within 6 months, there really isn't a core reason to get the 128 since resale value on higher capacity models usually don't hold their value as much as base models. To each their own though, its a great phone.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I meant midrange in pricing not specs. I understand its a top spec'd phone. Considering $60 is more than a 10% premium on the more expensive model, and that oneplus seems to be updating these phones every 5-6 months, unless you think you will run short on storage within 6 months, there really isn't a core reason to get the 128 since resale value on higher capacity models usually don't hold their value as much as base models. To each their own though, its a great phone.

It's certainly true that it's price is under midrange, but price doesn't effect RAM usage.

It's true that $60 isn't exactly morning, and if your budget is tight I'd go for the lower spec model. What I meant was the cost is relatively low compared to what you have to pay most companies to go to 128GB without a RAM upgrade.

Also just because they release a new phone every 5-6 months doesn't mean you have to buy it... I don't see a reason to move to the 5T from my 5. Likewise, some of us don't care about resale value, it doesn't effect the drawer I keep my old phones in lol.

As you say, to each their own.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Go with 64 GB if you don't store much media/music on your phone. If you do store a bunch of music/media then grab the 128.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have the op5 64gb it's been fine I have never come close to using the storage. but then again I use streaming services also don't save any large files to my device