dash charge vs quick charge

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Dash charge is better, quick charge is more prolific.

Neither should exist, all phones with USB-C/USB 3.1 should just use USB-PD to keep it all nice and consistent.

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Quick Charge is supported by the Qualcomm Chipset, so potentially going to be implemented and standardised between different manufacturers, allowing for compatible cables and chargers.
That is not the case with Dash Charge which is proprietary and unique to OnePlus devices and accessories.
Dash Charge takes the work, the power management away from the phone and puts it into the charger and cable, hence that difference.
That means the phone doesn't heat up additionally while still being used while charging, and doesn't need to throttle performance to deal with the extra heat as a result.
OnePlus can use other accessories, but it just won't use its own Dash Charge, nor does it support Quick Charge at all.
Standardised accessories, vs an arguably superior version.

n apple

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I think Dash Charge, which is OnePlus propietary technology, is better, as its special charger takes all the heat and helps the phone stay cool

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I really wish they would standardize on Quick Charge. They're really hurting their users because of how little choice there is in charging accessories. (points for using three "theres" correctly in the same sentence)

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I really wish they would standardize on Quick Charge. They're really hurting their users because of how little choice there is in charging accessories. (points for using three "theres" correctly in the same sentence)

Not only hurting their users in terms of hardware choices, but potentially in the future even restricting their ability to update.
Google are highly recommending USB-PD over proprietary approaches, and in the future state that they could even force it.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2...mm-quick-charge-with-android-incompatibility/

Woody1995

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
It would've made sense for OP to allow for use of QC 3.0 as it would be a lot more handy for battery packs which have the QC feature, rather than having to fork for proprietary battery packs and chargers. Obviously DC is the fastest out of the two but it seems odd that it would only have support for one and not the other despite using a Qualcomm chipset!

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
It would've made sense for OP to allow for use of QC 3.0 as it would be a lot more handy for battery packs which have the QC feature, rather than having to fork for proprietary battery packs and chargers. Obviously DC is the fastest out of the two but it seems odd that it would only have support for one and not the other despite using a Qualcomm chipset!

Do we know it would have been cheaper, because there might have been licensing involved.
Plus dash charge does offer some genuine improvements, much like USB-PD doing a lot of the work away from the phone.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Do we know it would have been cheaper, because there might have been licensing involved.
Plus dash charge does offer some genuine improvements, much like USB-PD doing a lot of the work away from the phone.

Also, I think that by using a proprietary charging system they drive users to the OnePlus store for accessories.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Also, I think that by using a proprietary charging system they drive users to the OnePlus store for accessories.

I suspect that this is a real factor in their thinking. I haven't seen good numbers, but it seems like their accessory business is something they are looking to turn into a significant money maker.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87