Google Pixel 2 user looking to come to 1+6t next week

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Tired of paying $900 a phone so been following 6t.

Looking for some advice and direction child has minimal hand usage and is able to unlock Pixel with voice, plus text, open apps, play music and never touch the phone simply..hey Google"

Cant do that with Samsung and or Apple.

1+6 users can you do that with +6?

Also how bad is the single speaker facing down? Hear you can block sound when in landscape?

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok Google works great on my OnePlus 6, even when the screen is off.
The speaker is disappointing tho... You can cover it up and it's just not that great. There are some mods (with root) that allow you to get stereo speakers by using the earpiece.

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have SLE and there's many days I can't use my hands to perform simple tasks.

Google Assistant has been most helpful on those days. Calling, texting, opening apps, etc.

The media speaker output is weak. It's not unusable though. Yes, it can be blocked (muffled) by covering with a hand in landscape mode.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You can't unlock with your voice. Google assistant isn't enabled with the screen turned off.

I consider it a plus, but if your kid doesn't have enough manual dexterity to at least wake the screen, the phone will be unusable to them.

It might be worth asking in the Motorola forums... As far as i know the Moto phones have a coprocessor which enables advanced voice features...

Hope you find something suitable.

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all that helps..needing it to wake with voice control is a deal breaker...Good to know before we bought!

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all that helps..needing it to wake with voice control is a deal breaker...Good to know before we bought!

Yes you can unlock with your voice.

It's a little buried in the settings, but it is fully capable of unlocking even when screen is off. It's good at unlocking with your trained voice and not someone else's. Just how it was on my pixel 2 xl.

The speaker is nothing to write home about and yes, as with any bottom firing speaker, you can block or muffle it. Very easy to avoid in my opinion.

Attachments

• 17739.jpg
    17739.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 82

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
You can't unlock with your voice. Google assistant isn't enabled with the screen turned off.

I consider it a plus, but if your kid doesn't have enough manual dexterity to at least wake the screen, the phone will be unusable to them.

It might be worth asking in the Motorola forums... As far as i know the Moto phones have a coprocessor which enables advanced voice features...

Hope you find something suitable.

FYI we almost didnt get the phone for this reason but bought last night and you can unlock in straight out of the box with Google Voice!!