T-Mobile 6T to Global model Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
FYI...Just announced today... a method of converting the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant to the global, international, model, running on stock OnePlus firmware... without unlocked bootloader and SIM unlock.

"I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!

Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.
"

Visit the link below to the thread on the xda developers forum...

T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

https://youtu.be/Mh-tjPPz2Ws

This is for reasonably competent users. Please read the thread, carefully and thoroughly before proceeding at your own risk. I cannot personally answer any queries as I do not own the T-Mobile (USA) variant and therefore, all questions should be posted to the forum thread, above. My feeling is that T-Mobile, "may", attempt to disable this loophole in a future release.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile 6T to International Conversation (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

Holy cow!!!!!!

I liked your, "fustercluck", here, better. Been working it in to all sorts of posts.

So far, the reports on that thread have been very positive from those T-Mobile (USA) customers that have converted. I do think that the carrier will bring out a fix in future that will prevent people from converting. Verizon did something similar on their Galaxy S5 firmware with their Mega Locked Down bootloader when they found people flashing to global firmware.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

TOP TIP: If you want to convert your T-Mobile (USA) phone to the stock global model with dual SIM, Quick Launch, OnePlus Laboratory, Smart Boost, Open Beta and frequent firmware updates... do it before T-Mobile closes off this loophole.

phillymade

Mar 31, 2011
glennsilvasy.blogspot.com
Re: T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

TOP TIP: If you want to convert your T-Mobile (USA) phone to the stock global model with dual SIM, Quick Launch, OnePlus Laboratory, Smart Boost, Open Beta and frequent firmware updates... do it before T-Mobile closes off this loophole.
I did the conversation back in November using the "old method" What's the difference if I do this method? Does it flash criticals, and will I be able to take OTA's as if it were and international variant, or will I still have to use full OTA zips?

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile 6T to International Conversation (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

I liked your, "fustercluck", here, better. Been working it in to all sorts of posts.

So far, the reports on that thread have been very positive from those T-Mobile (USA) customers that have converted. I do think that the carrier will bring out a fix in future that will prevent people from converting. Verizon did something similar on their Galaxy S5 firmware with their Mega Locked Down bootloader when they found people flashing to global firmware.

I used this method today. I am completely converted, it was very simple to do.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

I wonder if this will mess anything up with t-mobile of you are on their payment plan. I may tempted to do this but for my phone free using the black Friday deal and don't want to lose the bill credits by doing this.

I also have to find a PC to do it with. I use a mac as my only computer.

phillymade

Mar 31, 2011
glennsilvasy.blogspot.com

I wonder if this will mess anything up with t-mobile of you are on their payment plan. I may tempted to do this but for my phone free using the black Friday deal and don't want to lose the bill credits by doing this.

I also have to find a PC to do it with. I use a mac as my only computer.
You will not loose the bill credit by doing this. It does not change your IMEI. On your TMO account it shows the same device after the conversion. I did the conversation using the old method back in November and I still have the bill credit and I'm in international firmware. Started on 9.0.7, have been updating regularly and now on 9.0.11.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site

Any one know if you get ota update from OnePlus or we still manually?

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Any one know if you get ota update from OnePlus or we still manually?

Over at XDA the consensus is that we just won't know until a new update comes out and someone tries. But everyone is leaning towards probably having to do local updates.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

I did this yesterday. I haven't manually loaded an OS into a phone in eons, but it was very simple and worked first time, unlike the days of old lol.

The only thing I can see that could be considered negative to some is you lose the Google Discover swipe right feature. It was handy, but not a deal breaker for me. Also the auto brightness isn't nearly bright enough.

Cheers

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

I did this yesterday. I haven't manually loaded an OS into a phone in eons, but it was very simple and worked first time, unlike the days of old lol.

The only thing I can see that could be considered negative to some is you lose the Google Discover swipe right feature. It was handy, but not a deal breaker for me. Also the auto brightness isn't nearly bright enough.

Cheers
The Google cards is actually a big thing for me. I use it all the time actually but might be able to live without it.

I also still need to find a windows computer to do it with. My computer at work is locked down and won't let us install anything.

Last edited:

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Cheers

Velis Auto Brightness will fix that problem for you

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Cheers

Keep adjusting your auto brightness. Android pie "learns" your preference over time, and will remember how you like your brightness in certain lighting. It will take several days, but it will get better.

Last edited:

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I can confirm that this works, also it allowed me to update to the OnePlus beta software using local update with no problem. profit!

droidman401

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I can confirm that this works, also it allowed me to update to the OnePlus beta software using local update with no problem. profit!

I wanna do it but I don't wanna brick my phone also tryna attempt it 🤷🏾*♂️

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Over at XDA the consensus is that we just won't know until a new update comes out and someone tries. But everyone is leaning towards probably having to do local updates.

cool... by local, do you mean manual?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85