01-15-2019 11:48 AM
29 12
tools
    FYI...Just announced today... a method of converting the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant to the global, international, model, running on stock OnePlus firmware... without unlocked bootloader and SIM unlock.

"I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!

Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.
    "

Visit the link below to the thread on the xda developers forum...

T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

This is for reasonably competent users. Please read the thread, carefully and thoroughly before proceeding at your own risk. I cannot personally answer any queries as I do not own the T-Mobile (USA) variant and therefore, all questions should be posted to the forum thread, above. My feeling is that T-Mobile, "may", attempt to disable this loophole in a future release.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!"
    01-10-2019 09:03 AM
    Holy cow!!!!!!
    ironass likes this.
    01-10-2019 10:30 AM
    Holy cow!!!!!!
    I liked your, "fustercluck", here, better. Been working it in to all sorts of posts.

So far, the reports on that thread have been very positive from those T-Mobile (USA) customers that have converted. I do think that the carrier will bring out a fix in future that will prevent people from converting. Verizon did something similar on their Galaxy S5 firmware with their Mega Locked Down bootloader when they found people flashing to global firmware.
    Ryano89 likes this.
    01-10-2019 11:17 AM
    TOP TIP: If you want to convert your T-Mobile (USA) phone to the stock global model with dual SIM, Quick Launch, OnePlus Laboratory, Smart Boost, Open Beta and frequent firmware updates... do it before T-Mobile closes off this loophole.
    phillymade likes this.
    01-10-2019 03:23 PM
    Holy cow!!!!!!
    No names mentioned but it looks as though I have at least one convert to stock OnePlus firmware, Welcome to the dark side or should that be... the Light Side?
    01-10-2019 03:49 PM
    TOP TIP: If you want to convert your T-Mobile (USA) phone to the stock global model with dual SIM, Quick Launch, OnePlus Laboratory, Smart Boost, Open Beta and frequent firmware updates... do it before T-Mobile closes off this loophole.
    I did the conversation back in November using the "old method" What's the difference if I do this method? Does it flash criticals, and will I be able to take OTA's as if it were and international variant, or will I still have to use full OTA zips?
    01-10-2019 04:13 PM
    No names mentioned but it looks as though I have at least one convert to stock OnePlus firmware, Welcome to the dark side or should that be... the Light Side?
    Worked perfectly!!!!!!
    ironass likes this.
    01-10-2019 06:11 PM
    I liked your, "fustercluck", here, better. Been working it in to all sorts of posts.

So far, the reports on that thread have been very positive from those T-Mobile (USA) customers that have converted. I do think that the carrier will bring out a fix in future that will prevent people from converting. Verizon did something similar on their Galaxy S5 firmware with their Mega Locked Down bootloader when they found people flashing to global firmware.
    I used this method today. I am completely converted, it was very simple to do.
    ironass likes this.
    01-10-2019 06:12 PM
    I wonder if this will mess anything up with t-mobile of you are on their payment plan. I may tempted to do this but for my phone free using the black Friday deal and don't want to lose the bill credits by doing this.

I also have to find a PC to do it with. I use a mac as my only computer.
    01-11-2019 01:09 AM
    I wonder if this will mess anything up with t-mobile of you are on their payment plan. I may tempted to do this but for my phone free using the black Friday deal and don't want to lose the bill credits by doing this.

I also have to find a PC to do it with. I use a mac as my only computer.
    You will not loose the bill credit by doing this. It does not change your IMEI. On your TMO account it shows the same device after the conversion. I did the conversation using the old method back in November and I still have the bill credit and I'm in international firmware. Started on 9.0.7, have been updating regularly and now on 9.0.11.
    01-11-2019 05:43 AM
    Any one know if you get ota update from OnePlus or we still manually?
    01-11-2019 12:46 PM
    Any one know if you get ota update from OnePlus or we still manually?
    Over at XDA the consensus is that we just won't know until a new update comes out and someone tries. But everyone is leaning towards probably having to do local updates.
    01-11-2019 12:53 PM
    I did this yesterday. I haven't manually loaded an OS into a phone in eons, but it was very simple and worked first time, unlike the days of old lol.

The only thing I can see that could be considered negative to some is you lose the Google Discover swipe right feature. It was handy, but not a deal breaker for me. Also the auto brightness isn't nearly bright enough.

Cheers
    01-12-2019 01:04 PM
    I did this yesterday. I haven't manually loaded an OS into a phone in eons, but it was very simple and worked first time, unlike the days of old lol.

The only thing I can see that could be considered negative to some is you lose the Google Discover swipe right feature. It was handy, but not a deal breaker for me. Also the auto brightness isn't nearly bright enough.

Cheers
    The Google cards is actually a big thing for me. I use it all the time actually but might be able to live without it.

I also still need to find a windows computer to do it with. My computer at work is locked down and won't let us install anything.
    01-12-2019 01:29 PM

Cheers
    Velis Auto Brightness will fix that problem for you
    ajb1965 likes this.
    01-12-2019 04:43 PM

Cheers
    Keep adjusting your auto brightness. Android pie "learns" your preference over time, and will remember how you like your brightness in certain lighting. It will take several days, but it will get better.
    ajb1965 likes this.
    01-12-2019 10:08 PM
    I can confirm that this works, also it allowed me to update to the OnePlus beta software using local update with no problem. profit!
    ironass likes this.
    01-12-2019 10:09 PM
    I can confirm that this works, also it allowed me to update to the OnePlus beta software using local update with no problem. profit!
    I wanna do it but I don't wanna brick my phone also tryna attempt it 🤷🏾*♂️
    01-14-2019 06:02 PM
    Over at XDA the consensus is that we just won't know until a new update comes out and someone tries. But everyone is leaning towards probably having to do local updates.
    cool... by local, do you mean manual?
    01-14-2019 06:29 PM
    cool... by local, do you mean manual?
    Yes
    01-14-2019 06:56 PM
    Yes
    Just to clarify Ryano89's answer, a local update on the global OnePlus 6T model entails downloading the new firmware to your phone from the official OnePlus download site and moving it to the root directory and then going to...

Settings > System > System updates > Menu (cog wheel)(screenshot #1 ) > Local upgrade (screenshot #2 ) > Select downloaded update (screenshot #3)

From there, the update installs and reboots the phone just like an OTA.

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

Screenshot #3

(Ignore the fact that it shows Beta in the screenshots. I just happen to be a Beta tester)
    Ryano89 likes this.
    01-14-2019 08:20 PM
    I just did this and it is nice being on the official 6t version instead of T-Mobile.

I do miss the Google feed to the left though. I'm hoping oneplus will eventually give the option of that like the T-Mobile version does.

I have a dual sim tray coming so I can try putting my other T-Mobile s from my work phone in this and using one phone for everything.
    01-14-2019 10:20 PM
    I just did this and it is nice being on the official 6t version instead of T-Mobile.

I do miss the Google feed to the left though. I'm hoping oneplus will eventually give the option of that like the T-Mobile version does.

I have a dual sim tray coming so I can try putting my other T-Mobile s from my work phone in this and using one phone for everything.
    Unlike the global model which has 2 IMEI numbers for dual SIM usage, (see screenshot), the T-Mobile (USA) only has a single IMEI number. Therefore, I am dubious about being able to use it as a dual SIM phone.

01-14-2019 10:57 PM
    Unlike the global model which has 2 IMEI numbers for dual SIM usage, (see screenshot), the T-Mobile (USA) only has a single IMEI number. Therefore, I am dubious about being able to use this as a dual SIM phone.
    Hmm that is true. But I thought there were people that were using it as a dual SIM phone once converted?
    01-14-2019 11:00 PM
    Hmm that is true. But I thought there were people that were using it as a dual SIM phone once converted?
    I have not heard of it on the forums. Could I ask you a favour and get you to remove my screenshot from your post as I had not finished editing it properly. Thanks!

[EDIT] You may be right. See...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1195

"Dual SIM works, however, you will have the same IMEI for both slots."
    01-14-2019 11:08 PM
29 12