RCS messaging available now!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Want RCS messaging now? See post #9 for instructions and, "How to", video

Google are taking RCS, (Rich Communication Services), out of the hands of the carriers, some of whom were insisting on their own limited, ersatz, versions of RCS, (no names mentioned... (T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon/Bell/SK Telecom)), and are rolling it out themselves on their own, worldwide, Universal Profile...

GOOGLE IS FINALLY TAKING CHARGE OF THE RCS ROLLOUT

See, also...

Google will let Android users in the UK and France use RCS regardless of carrier support

Last edited:

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: RCS is being released by Google across the board

Thanks for the heads up! And thus, my final roadblock to converting to the global version of the OP6T has been removed....

Aside from laziness. That's always a roadblock! :)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: RCS is being released by Google across the board

Google's new Universal RCS, Chat, in Google Messages on the OnePlus 6T on the U.K. network, EE, (also have it on a Huawei P10 and a Galaxy S5 on O2 & Vodafone)...

mV0p5EGl.jpg

Google are gradually rolling this out worldwide and anticipate completing in 2020, sometime.

Google takes RCS rollout into its own hands after carriers totally botch it

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: RCS messaging rolling out worldwide

RCS in Google Messages is now fully rolled out in the U.K. and France says Hiroshi Lockheimer, a senior vice president at Google...

"the company has completed its rollout of RCS to the UK and France after starting a few weeks prior. Almost exactly a month ago, RCS started working on Pixel devices through the Google Messaging app in those countries, and recently it’s started to expand to other Android smartphones."

"Notably, Locheimer’s tweet was in reply to an article criticizing US carriers for their lack of effort when it comes to rolling out universally compatible RCS messaging for Android users. Lockheimer chimed in that Google would still “love” to work with US carriers on that initiative and that they are “trying” to do so. Still, he mentions that Google’s own RCS rollout will continue with more countries “soon,” although there’s no indication if the United States is on the list."

Source

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Carrier always getting in the way

It has always been the same with U.S. carriers over the years. From removing the Gorilla glass on the Galaxy S4 phones to make a few extra bucks to insisting on their own ersatz carrier branded firmwares with stock features removed to cram in their own bloatware to generate income and control their customers and worst of all... offering pathetic, miserable updates on their firmware and blaming it on the phone manufacturers.

I am afraid that U.S. carrier branded phones are, I am sorry to say, a joke, worldwide.

Thankfully, now that phone manufacturers are able to release unbranded phones in the U.S. market, things are starting to change. as those users who had the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant have found out after converting to the global firmware, the difference is between chalk and cheese on updates and features.

I believe what Google are doing after failing to persuade U.S. carriers to adopt the worldwide Universal Profile for RCS, is to force their hand by rolling it out to the other 194 countries worldwide, (population circa 7 billion), and see if the U.S. carriers buckle when 328 million users cannot use it on their networks. We shall see. :D

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

It has always been the same with U.S. carriers over the years. From removing the Gorilla glass on the Galaxy S4 phones to make a few extra bucks to insisting on their own ersatz carrier branded firmwares with stock features removed to cram in their own bloatware to generate income and control their customers and worst of all... offering pathetic, miserable updates on their firmware and blaming it on the phone manufacturers.

I am afraid that U.S. carrier branded phones are, I am sorry to say, a joke, worldwide.

Thankfully, now that phone manufacturers are able to release unbranded phones in the U.S. market, things are starting to change. as those users who had the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant have found out after converting to the global firmware, the difference is between chalk and cheese on updates and features.

I believe what Google are doing after failing to persuade U.S. carriers to adopt the worldwide Universal Profile for RCS, is to force their hand by rolling it out to the other 194 countries worldwide, (population circa 7 billion), and see if the U.S. carriers buckle when 328 million users cannot use it on their networks. We shall see. :D
I agree definitely.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Courtesy of the guys here, on Android Central, a method of enabling the Google Messages RCS feature on your phone... now!

Users like myself, in the U.K. and France, have been using this RCS, (Rich Communication Services), for the last 4 months and Google have been slowly running it out to other countries since then. However, since Google Messages RCS does not rely on your carrier, thankfully, you can enable it yourself.

Just follow the instructions in the following link...

Want RCS chat on your phone right now? Here's how to enable it

Here's a, "How to", video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YuJxv4VTwI

Confirmed to be working in U.S.A., Canada and most countries, worldwide.

Last edited:

maxmin

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site

I tried Ironass' recommendations in the link he gave. I didn't work on my OnePlus 6T.
Issues:
1) Did the Messages Beta download. The Link said to make sure it's the Messages Beta app. How to do this?? Only way I could see it was a beta is the App Info way at the bottom is says Version 5.2.050 (Pegasus_RC04.phone.openbeta_dynamic) I assume I have the Messages Beta.
2) My phone didn't have a "carrier services" app in Settings-> Apps. I did include System Apps. ??
3) In Activity Launcher I downloaded I did have the Set RCS Flags. However when I set the "OTP Pattern to the only selection available and hit Apply it wouldn't save the OTP Pattern. The Set RCS Flags did store the selection for ACS URL.

So did not work for me.

tlc264

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
Visit site

I tried Ironass' recommendations in the link he gave. I didn't work on my OnePlus 6T.
Issues:
1) Did the Messages Beta download. The Link said to make sure it's the Messages Beta app. How to do this?? Only way I could see it was a beta is the App Info way at the bottom is says Version 5.2.050 (Pegasus_RC04.phone.openbeta_dynamic) I assume I have the Messages Beta.
2) My phone didn't have a "carrier services" app in Settings-> Apps. I did include System Apps. ??
3) In Activity Launcher I downloaded I did have the Set RCS Flags. However when I set the "OTP Pattern to the only selection available and hit Apply it wouldn't save the OTP Pattern. The Set RCS Flags did store the selection for ACS URL.

So did not work for me.
You have to join the messages beta program and then you will get a notice to update messages. Carrier services should be in the apps without system apps checked. Not sure why this is not on yours. When I set my phones up I did each flag individually not at the same time. This is what got mine to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez