OP 7 Pro 1st Impressions coming from 6T

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Biiiiiig phooooooone and I love it!

OK it weighs a ton, let's just get that out of the way. Much heavier than the 6T and a tad more than the Note 9. If you don't care for heavy phones you might want to look elsewhere.

Display is quite stunning. It reminded me of the first time I saw a Galaxy S7 Edge. That big (at the time) bright curved glass and popping colors. The OP7 gives me that same wow factor. It's extremely easy on the eyes and very, very smooth.

Performance is what you would expect, very fast and well, smooth :) It does seem quicker than the 6T at some things, and I would attribute that to the UFS 3.0.

New Haptic Motor - YAY!!! It's such a huge improvement if those things matter, and to me they do. You can definitely feel every press, but it's not overbearing.

Camera - I think it's a major improvement over the 6T, but it's not really my area of expertise. I took some side by side shots with my Pixel 3A and I could not tell any difference. The 3x zoom is going to be fun to play with for sure. Slo-mo video is sort of meh, but it's not something I will use.

Stereo Speakers - Another YAY! They aren't the greatest I've ever used on a phone, but they are such an improvement over the 6T and I'm so glad they did it. To pair that gorgeous screen with a cruddy mono speaker would have been criminal.

Warp Charge is fast, but once you get up to 45-50% it tapers off. I've never been a big fan of wireless charging so I do appreciate the extra quick charge.

Phone calls, yes, I do actually speak to people on this thing :) sound very clear and the speakerphone is more than suitable for normal use. Not exceptionally loud, but loud enough.

The mics seem to be a little better as well. My 6T would often sound like the mics were compressed or gated at times and it was annoying. No signs of that on the 7 so far.

Overall very impressed with this $699 piece of kit. IMHO it's well worth it.

Cheers,

AJ

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Biiiiiig phooooooone and I love it!

OK it weighs a ton, let's just get that out of the way. Much heavier than the 6T and a tad more than the Note 9. If you don't care for heavy phones you might want to look elsewhere.

Display is quite stunning. It reminded me of the first time I saw a Galaxy S7 Edge. That big (at the time) bright curved glass and popping colors. The OP7 gives me that same wow factor. It's extremely easy on the eyes and very, very smooth.

Performance is what you would expect, very fast and well, smooth :) It does seem quicker than the 6T at some things, and I would attribute that to the UFS 3.0.

New Haptic Motor - YAY!!! It's such a huge improvement if those things matter, and to me they do. You can definitely feel every press, but it's not overbearing.

Camera - I think it's a major improvement over the 6T, but it's not really my area of expertise. I took some side by side shots with my Pixel 3A and I could not tell any difference. The 3x zoom is going to be fun to play with for sure. Slo-mo video is sort of meh, but it's not something I will use.

Stereo Speakers - Another YAY! They aren't the greatest I've ever used on a phone, but they are such an improvement over the 6T and I'm so glad they did it. To pair that gorgeous screen with a cruddy mono speaker would have been criminal.

Warp Charge is fast, but once you get up to 45-50% it tapers off. I've never been a big fan of wireless charging so I do appreciate the extra quick charge.

Phone calls, yes, I do actually speak to people on this thing :) sound very clear and the speakerphone is more than suitable for normal use. Not exceptionally loud, but loud enough.

The mics seem to be a little better as well. My 6T would often sound like the mics were compressed or gated at times and it was annoying. No signs of that on the 7 so far.

Overall very impressed with this $699 piece of kit. IMHO it's well worth it.

Cheers,

AJ

Nice to hear that you're happy with it. Mine arrives Tuesday. Does the reception seem comparable?

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I live in a poor service area, but I don't notice any worse speeds. I can run a speedtest and get 20MPS and do another one immediately after and get 2 lol. I've ran a few with this and they are consistent results I was getting with the 6T and my Pixel 3A.

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Another one here that came from the 6T. I'm very happy with the change. The 7 Pro is one fast device and the screen is gorgeous. I'm running Nova on mine so I have messed around with the updated Oxygen release.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Note 9, 6t, and S10+ for me. Still have all 3 too. We are definitely not the norm, but it is normal for someone in this forum to have upgraded to several phones in a 6 month time frame. We simply love technology and are always interested in shiny new toys.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Most people on T-Mobile Jump on Demand upgrade quite a bit. Well, at least we used to. Now that the average flagship is over $1,000 USD JoD isn't as appealing as it used to be.

I was like that until after my account hit the 3 year mark, and then most of the phones went either low or no down payment so I'm back to upgrading. (Of course, it helps when phones like the S10+ have a price drop and need higher sales so TMobile drops the down payment)

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I was like that until after my account hit the 3 year mark, and then most of the phones went either low or no down payment so I'm back to upgrading. (Of course, it helps when phones like the S10+ have a price drop and need higher sales so TMobile drops the down payment)
Yep. The S10 and Plus are both $0 down and that put me in a tough place about the 7 Pro. I think I'm still getting it though even without the headphone jack and wireless charging.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone XS max will be my last 1,000 flagship lol. I can see a time when I will own both an S11e, and a Pixel 4a or One Plus 8. That's the way to go now. These lower priced phones are just too good and you aren't sacrificing nearly as much as a few years ago.

Last edited:

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
How does the battery compare from your experience?

So far it's tracking about the same. I don't count the first two days, too much downloading and optimizing and all that. It's been off the charger for 5 1/2 hours and sitting at about 88 percent.