I heard in the AC podcast that the phone doesn't have power delivery through the USB port. I imagine this means you can't charge another phone via USB, but does it deliver enough power to operate a jump drive or USB C hub (drive SD card etc) like other USB C android devices?
    05-21-2019 12:00 PM
    Most likely a jump drive (they don't take much), but not a hard drive or SSD. OTG is data in/power out. You just won't get PD (Power Delivery, Samsung's name for Qualcomm's QuickCharge 2.0 - OnePlus uses a different method of fast charge, Warp Charge), but thumb drives, SD cards, etc., don't have batteries, so they don't do PD negotiation anyway. (You could probably even put a little charge into another phone, but the battery is only 3700 mAh in the 7 and 4000 mAh in the Pro, so I wouldn't let that other phone take more than about 1000 mAh of charge. When you get down to about 45%, that's it. [The "drop-dead charging point" - if you want maximum lifespan from the battery - is 40%, Never let it discharge lower than that. If you can't charge it, and don't carry a power bank, turn it off.)
    05-21-2019 02:54 PM
    Most likely a jump drive (they don't take much), but not a hard drive or SSD. OTG is data in/power out. You just won't get PD (Power Delivery, Samsung's name for Qualcomm's QuickCharge 2.0 - OnePlus uses a different method of fast charge, Warp Charge), but thumb drives, SD cards, etc., don't have batteries, so they don't do PD negotiation anyway. (You could probably even put a little charge into another phone, but the battery is only 3700 mAh in the 7 and 4000 mAh in the Pro, so I wouldn't let that other phone take more than about 1000 mAh of charge. When you get down to about 45%, that's it. [The "drop-dead charging point" - if you want maximum lifespan from the battery - is 40%, Never let it discharge lower than that. If you can't charge it, and don't carry a power bank, turn it off.)
    My OnePlus 5 will power both my external SSD and external HDD, so I don't see any reason the 7 Pro wouldn't be able to.

As for a jump drive... I suspect it depends on the size of the starship as regards whether the phone could calculate an actual FTL jump, but even in the case of a small one person module you'll probably need at least some form of micro fission reactor to actually power the drive and form a jump point.

Also, Samsung's version of quick charge is simply called fast charge. Power delivery, or USB-PD, is part of the USB 3.1 (or whatever it's called this week) standard.
    Nikholas Pappas and thunder18 like this.
    05-21-2019 04:39 PM
    As for a jump drive... I suspect it depends on the size of the starship as regards whether the phone could calculate an actual FTL jump, but even in the case of a small one person module you'll probably need at least some form of micro fission reactor to actually power the drive and form a jump point.
    Ha!
    05-22-2019 08:39 AM
    There's a setting under the system section for OTG Storage.
    Nikholas Pappas and thunder18 like this.
    05-22-2019 10:41 AM
    I tried out the USB OTG feature of the Pro 7 yesterday. I went into the menu and turned USB OTG on (settings, system). I used the USB-C OTG adapter that came with my Pixel XL. I first tried a 32GB thumb drive. It worked and I could access pictures and videos from the thumb drive. Next I plugged in a passive USB hub and a full sized USB keyboard and mouse into the hub. Both those devices worked great (a mouse arrow shows up on the Pro 7 screen).
    thunder18 likes this.
    05-23-2019 04:25 PM
    I tried out the USB OTG feature of the Pro 7 yesterday. I went into the menu and turned USB OTG on (settings, system). I used the USB-C OTG adapter that came with my Pixel XL. I first tried a 32GB thumb drive. It worked and I could access pictures and videos from the thumb drive. Next I plugged in a passive USB hub and a full sized USB keyboard and mouse into the hub. Both those devices worked great (a mouse arrow shows up on the Pro 7 screen).
    Can I ask you the model of your passive hub? I am having troubles with mine with only video out working through HDMI but no USB drives are getting recognized..
    05-28-2019 07:14 PM
    Can I ask you the model of your passive hub? I am having troubles with mine with only video out working through HDMI but no USB drives are getting recognized..
    The USB passive hub is a cheapy my work gave to all of us with the company name on it. You of course don't need a hub to get your thumb drive going...........just a USB-C OTG adapter. Could your USB-C OTG adapter not be working? I used the OTG adapter that came with my Pixel XL as it is the only one I have that has USB-C. You have turned on the OTG option in the phone menu?
    05-28-2019 07:44 PM
    The USB passive hub is a cheapy my work gave to all of us with the company name on it. You of course don't need a hub to get your thumb drive going...........just a USB-C OTG adapter. Could your USB-C OTG adapter not be working? I used the OTG adapter that came with my Pixel XL as it is the only one I have that has USB-C. You have turned on the OTG option in the phone menu?
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes I enabled USB OTG, I also made several tests with an external power source and USB debug enabled but none came good. Once I plug in an USB key it blinks for a second and then nothing changes.

These are the devices I tested:

https://www.amazon.it/Rozeda-Station...cUvbUpU6555043
    https://www.amazon.it/ATZEBE-Adattat...cUvbUpU6555043
    https://www.amazon.it/EC-Technology-...cUvbUpU6555043

and the behavior is always the same (sometimes I need to connect an external power source to deliver the HDMI out, while sometimes is not necessary (when I connect an external power source, the phone is getting charged as well), however both USB devices and SDCard are not recognized nor mounted.

I am starting to think that the issue could be related to the modules in the kernel for these kind of devices that might need to have a particular host mode to do OTG properly with multiple (and different types of) devices attached. I will also buy a simple OTG cable to make a final test and see if it's not my device
    05-29-2019 01:00 AM