Advantages of rooting OnePlus 8 Pro?

joshdills89

May 30, 2020
Visit site
I haven't had a rooted phone since my Samsung Galaxy S4, almost 10 years ago. I'm thinking heavily about rooting my OnePlus 8 Pro, but have little to no idea where to start or what mod to use on it. With my S4 I used the One Click Root and it worked fine, so if that's still a thing I would like to go that route. The main thing I'm wanting root access for is to tweak the battery life to get the max from it, and to able to change the font on my phone to something other than the stock selections.
What other advantages to rooting are there? I do some torrenting on my phone from time to time, and am not a phone gamer. I would just rather have the full potential of my current device realized rather than upgrade to something else. Any suggestions or advice is welcomed.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. I haven't rooted my OnePlus but I've seen the processes in different places. The advantages depend on your usage and preferences. You can install custom ROMs, kernels, debloat preinstalled apps, use modules for extra customisation ...

I've seen in your other thread that you bought a second hand phone. Maybe the problems are caused by a battery that has been degraded by heavy use or constant fast charges while using it for heavy games, for example. This is one of the most common causes for a degraded battery. You can try an app like AccuBattery or OnePlus Diagnostic to check out its health.

For root guides I recommend you to take a look at XDA forums. They have all the information and files needed for the process. It's not very difficult and OnePlus devices are quite "easy" to unlock, root and install any kind of custom resources.

For discussions about the different kernels or ROMs you can also follow some Telegram groups specific to your model. In general there are nice and helpful people in such groups. Same thing in Oxygen Updater r/oneplus Discord server. They also have most of the files you'd need for the process and, more importantly, the unbrick tools (msmtool) just in case anything goes wrong. It's very difficult to brick an OP phone for good, plenty of resources to get it back to life :)

Let me known if you need anything but, unfortunately, I can't guide you in the root process.

joshdills89

May 30, 2020
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. I haven't rooted my OnePlus but I've seen the processes in different places. The advantages depend on your usage and preferences. You can install custom ROMs, kernels, debloat preinstalled apps, use modules for extra customisation ...

I've seen in your other thread that you bought a second hand phone. Maybe the problems are caused by a battery that has been degraded by heavy use or constant fast charges while using it for heavy games, for example. This is one of the most common causes for a degraded battery. You can try an app like AccuBattery or OnePlus Diagnostic to check out its health.

For root guides I recommend you to take a look at XDA forums. They have all the information and files needed for the process. It's not very difficult and OnePlus devices are quite "easy" to unlock, root and install any kind of custom resources.

For discussions about the different kernels or ROMs you can also follow some Telegram groups specific to your model. In general there are nice and helpful people in such groups. Same thing in Oxygen Updater r/oneplus Discord server. They also have most of the files you'd need for the process and, more importantly, the unbrick tools (msmtool) just in case anything goes wrong. It's very difficult to brick an OP phone for good, plenty of resources to get it back to life :)

Let me known if you need anything but, unfortunately, I can't guide you in the root process.
The kernels, ROMs, and other tech jargon are what confuses me about it the most, haha. I'll check out XDA and see what they have to say

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The kernels, ROMs, and other tech jargon are what confuses me about it the most, haha. I'll check out XDA and see what they have to say
Only root won't give you better performance or battery life, it's just the door to the engine room where you can change stuff and install different kernels and ROMs. Some of them are better in battery life or performance or customisation. It all depends on your preferences. It'll bit a bit overwhelming in the beginning and you'll need to read a lot, I mean ... a lot, before jumping in.

The A/B partitions brought an extra difficulty to the process and you need to pay attention to that. Get used to Magisk, boot image and such things and double check if they finally created a working custom recovery for Android 11. I think they did but I'm not 100% it'll work in an OP 8 series.