No wireless charging on the OnePlus One?

ztmike

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So I guess its safe to assume the One+ won't have QI wireless charging going by OnePlus specs on their site..real bummer everything else on this phone seems to fire on all cylinders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: No wireless charging?

Wireless charging is fastfood for a battery a real horrible way to charge. I am happy it is not included.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

With a switchable battery back it wouldn't surprise me if someone comes out with something. Hope to see it but its not a deal breaker by any means. In fact I'm not even really sure this will replace my M7 yet.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Is it bad to charge a battery using a wireless qi charger? What will happen to the battery?

Induction charging also known as wireless charging is not good in the long term because wireless charging does not allow for cell balancing. To generate a (for a lack of a better way to put it) "clean" induction field is not a cheap thing to do. Most people are not willing to spend $200-$400 for a high quality induction charger.

Since most people have no way of testing the induction field the manufactures are selling low quality units and damaging the longevity of customer batteries. I have to admit that most people don't even use their devices long enough to notice the lose because we are only talking about a 10%-15% lose. I bet most people would also find that acceptable for the convenient charging solution. Just like how many also eat fast food which also kills us slowly.

ExtremeNerd

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Induction charging also known as wireless charging is not good in the long term because wireless charging does not allow for cell balancing. To generate a (for a lack of a better way to put it) "clean" induction field is not a cheap thing to do. Most people are not willing to spend $200-$400 for a high quality induction charger.

Since most people have no way of testing the induction field the manufactures are selling low quality units and damaging the longevity of customer batteries. I have to admit that most people don't even use their devices long enough to notice the lose because we are only talking about a 10%-15% lose. I bet most people would also find that acceptable for the convenient charging solution. Just like how many also eat fast food which also kills us slowly.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I've been using a qi wireless charger on my GS3 for nearly 18 months and have noticed no negative effects from it. Not saying it isn't possible, but the time frame we will use a piece of cellular technology may not be long enough for us to see the impact.

That being said, if the 1+1 had qi charging, I would certainly use it. What people seem to be missing is that some of the higher end features have been omitted to keep the device at a certain price point. Without the removable battery, I don't foresee a third party replacement cover enabling qi.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm no electrical engineer, but I've been using a qi wireless charger on my GS3 for nearly 18 months and have noticed no negative effects from it. Not saying it isn't possible, but the time frame we will use a piece of cellular technology may not be long enough for us to see the impact.

That being said, if the 1+1 had qi charging, I would certainly use it. What people seem to be missing is that some of the higher end features have been omitted to keep the device at a certain price point. Without the removable battery, I don't foresee a third party replacement cover enabling qi.

Agree... I was using wireless charging with my GS3 for over a year with no noticeable negative effect.... and I've been using nothing but wireless charging since I got my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, 2013.... I have not physically plugged a phone or tablet up in almost a year now..... I got a wireless charger on my desk and at home on the kitchen counter...

If the do not offer a wireless charging back for the One+ One it will only be a minor thing... I am sure there will be (as someone else stated) a secondary market for one eventually... I Like it.. a lot easier than fumbling around with a cord but at the same time fumbling around with a cord isn't THAT big a deal....

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Induction charging also known as wireless charging is not good in the long term because wireless charging does not allow for cell balancing.
Why would this be? My understanding is that cell balancing is a core battery technology, not dependent on charging method. And the WPC Qi charging standard in fact is capable of knowing when to turn off/slow down. (Source: Texas Instrument). If the battery itself is capable of communicating information on charging, there is no reason that information cannot be relayed through Qi charging coils, and it seems to me that it is.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

So I guess you DO have to compromise! Lol @One Plus marketing scam

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Why would this be? My understanding is that cell balancing is a core battery technology, not dependent on charging method. And the WPC Qi charging standard in fact is capable of knowing when to turn off/slow down. (Source: Texas Instrument). If the battery itself is capable of communicating information on charging, there is no reason that information cannot be relayed through Qi charging coils, and it seems to me that it is.

Well you keep guessing.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Well you keep guessing.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm trying to understand the scientific and technological evidence behind the argument that inductive charging renders power balancing inactive. From my research, it doesn't seem to be true. I am merely asking for other contrary evidence, if available.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

Come off it. This is complete nonsense.

A phone battery only has one cell, there is no balancing to be done, further more the power still goes through the phones charging circuit which will make sure it is within specs for the battery.

If you want a simple non BS reason why wireless charging is bad, it is because wireless chargers generate waste heat (induction charging is lossy and the lost energy goes into heat), heat is bad for lithium-ion batteries that all phones use these days, and it will reduce the useful life of the battery.

But in spite of this issue with wireless charging I still use it for the convenience, although if my phone is too hot (e.g. after a long gaming session), I'll plug it in rather than use the wireless charger.

Posted via Android Central App

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Come off it. This is complete nonsense.

A phone battery only has one cell, there is no balancing to be done, further more the power still goes through the phones charging circuit which will make sure it is within specs for the battery.

If you want a simple non BS reason why wireless charging is bad, it is because wireless chargers generate waste heat (induction charging is lossy and the lost energy goes into heat), heat is bad for lithium-ion batteries that all phones use these days, and it will reduce the useful life of the battery.

But in spite of this issue with wireless charging I still use it for the convenience, although if my phone is too hot (e.g. after a long gaming session), I'll plug it in rather than use the wireless charger.

Actually there is no charge circuit within Lithium-ion battery powered devices. There is a fire protection circuit within the battery that slowly increases resistance as the battery reaches full which is detected and reacted to. So do some research before trying to sound smart. You are right there is only one cell but you missed that it was just a trap-door point for people with no point but to disprove the message would latch on to. Notice none of the rest of my post even brings it back up.

Last edited:

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Actually there is not charge circuit within Lithium-ion battery powered devices. There is a fire protection circuit within the battery that slowly increases resistance as the battery reaches full which is detected and reacted to. So do some research before trying to sound smart.
I didn't say the charge circuit was in the battery, I said it was in the phone, and there most certainly is one in pretty much every phone. It may be part of the main SoC or it may be a separate chip, but it will be there. It seems you are trying to twist my words in order to sound smart.

You are right there is only one cell but you missed that it was just a trap-door point for people with no point but to disprove the message would latch on to. Notice none of the rest of my post even brings it back up.
Oh, so you intentionally put in incorrect information in order to elicit a response? That's the hallmark of a troll.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Induction charging also known as wireless charging is not good in the long term because wireless charging does not allow for cell balancing.

Perhaps the best solution would be to offer a removable battery and wireless charging capabilities? If the battery gets worn out, the customer can change it with a fresh battery. I believe wireless charging is very popular, but if it damages the battery, it will be a negative feature over the long term.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Perhaps the best solution would be to offer a removable battery and wireless charging capabilities? If the battery gets worn out, the customer can change it with a fresh battery. I believe wireless charging is very popular, but if it damages the battery, it will be a negative feature over the long term.

The phone does not come with a removal battery or wireless charging to keep the price down.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Lack of wireless charging might keep me from buying this device. Maybe they will add it with a new back cover like the S5.

Once you go with wireless charging it is hard to go back.

HZD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I adopted QI since the nexus 4 and own two Nexus 2013 chargers now, I'll never go back to wired charging !

Its defiantly a deal breaker for me, as for cell balancing is it not controlled by the charging circuit ?

I always balance charge LIPOs for my quad but theory are short bursts of high usage, smart phones slowly discharge so cell balance is less of an issue.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Got any proof other than your opinion since I been using Qi charging on my Nexus 5 with no issues. Also, I hear that the majority of phones sold in Japan have had wireless charging for years. I would buy my wife a OPO but I would never own another phone that doesn't have that feature. I can always replace my battery since they all go bad if you hang on to them long enough. There are videos and batteries on how to replace my N5's battery that would take a few minutes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez