ARCHIVED: [ROM-ish] OV Port of ath3nos's Unofficial CM7 (Gingerbread) 7/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Re: [ROM-ish] OV Port of ath3nos's Unofficial CM7 (Gingerbread)

and +1 why aren't you doing it, blarf?

Because I spend enough time tracking down doing this, I'd rather expand support to other Optimus models and have the foundation for a generic Gingerbread ROM than create a prepackaged ROM that not everyone will like. Same reason I'm probably going to pull the theme chooser out.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Or if someone steps up and builds a VM670 configured build...

For all that effort you could download the source and compile a working VM670 build. It's not a big secret, and at least one other person has built a VM670 ROM. He even filed bug reports so I could, you know, fix things. It takes about six hours to download and build, and about two hours to do a clean build.

It all builds fine on OSX and Linux. Or with a Linux VM under Windows.

I've been building from source for VM670 on a daily basis. It functions just as good as the Sprint build. Not much programming experience but I'm willing to help as much as possible. I could upload my builds if anyone wants VM updates from source.

I've been trying to build your inferiorhumanorgans repository, but I keep getting stopped short.

I use the following:

repo init -u git://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android.git -b gingerbread
repo sync -j16
repo sync
. build/envsetup.sh
lunch
(choose VM670)
make otapackage

And I get this far:

Install: out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/resize2fs
make: *** No rule to make target `vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary/system/bin/rild', needed by `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'. Stop.

I would be happy to help out by building the ROM for the V, but unfortunately, looks like I need a bit of help helping out. ;)

It's because the make process needs lib files from an OV stock ROM to build and have the CM7 working properly for the device. Some files would be missing if you get that error. You can add the missing files in by copying them from a froyo stock into /home/user/buildirectory/android/system/vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary/system/

Trying to remember that exact directory but I think that's correct.
Edit: I forgot thunderc in that path.
Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com

I've been building from source for VM670 on a daily basis. It functions just as good as the Sprint build. Not much programming experience but I'm willing to help as much as possible. I could upload my builds if anyone wants VM updates from source.

The LS670 and VM670 are pretty damn similar, but starting from a purpose built configuration means far less room for mistakes.

In any case, given the number of kernel changes required to get bits and pieces of CM7 working... this may change.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, which files do I need, the entire system/lib?

I noticed most builds for cyanogenmod use extract-files.sh to grab needed files, would this work for this port?

@blarfie: I think your idea of creating a unified process for all the optimus line is a great idea. I'm new to github and compiling for android, but I will help in anyway I can.

Raul720

May 7, 2011
Visit site

It's because the make process needs lib files from an OV stock ROM to build and have the CM7 working properly for the device. Some files would be missing if you get that error. You can add the missing files in by copying them from a froyo stock into /home/user/buildirectory/android/system/vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary/system/

Trying to remember that exact directory but I think that's correct.
Edit: I forgot thunderc in that path.

A source VM670 build sounds good.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

rb64

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

...Snip...
He even filed bug reports so I could, you know, fix things.

How to file a Bug Report?

I also cannot get USB Tethering to work
(Settings > Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot > USB tethering)

Says "USB not connected" even when connected with usb and android
usb status icon displays as enabled.

Last edited:

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
How to file a Bug Report?

I also cannot get USB Tethering to work
(Settings > Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot > USB tethering)

Says "USB not connected" even when connected with usb and android
usb status icon displays as enabled.

USB tethering doesn't work because its not supported by the kernal or any kernal for the OV at the moment

rb64

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

USB tethering doesn't work because its not supported by the kernal or any kernal for the OV at the moment

Okay. Is the solution to enable a feature in the kernel (like ndis maybe)?
Or is it way more complex than that?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure what the solution is, but Blarfie has usb tethering at the top of his list right now, so look for a fix to come with his future kernel releases (hopefuily).

There were some changes to the CM source tree last nite (thanks for the heads up KemikalElite), so I wasn't able to compile overnite, trying again today.

Reactions: rb64

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com

Okay. Is the solution to enable a feature in the kernel (like ndis maybe)?
Or is it way more complex than that?

Good: I've ripped much out the USB code from the US670 tree (gadget vs function) and that gets functioning tethering with OSX.

Bad: USB tethering works about 1 in 20 times you try it (as it is with most CM7 ports), and USB storage is non-op pending changes to vold. It's so bad I don't know if switching to the USB gadget framework was a necessary step or not.

I have no idea how this will play with Windows because I can only test the CDC-ECM not the RNDIS codepath, but if you can actually enable it, it should play nice with Liunx. I'm sure there are CDC-ECM drivers for Windows but good luck finding generic ones (Windows' USB support is a joke).

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com

For gapps setup no more slide keyboard message? Great!

Yup. For those going from an LS670 w/ Zefie's kernel build to a VM670 w/ an IHO kernel, I'm curious to see how battery life and performance compare.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Yup. For those going from an LS670 w/ Zefie's kernel build to a VM670 w/ an IHO kernel, I'm curious to see how battery life and performance compare.

Im not a power user by no means but this current build posted in ath3nos thread has had the best battery life Ive ever seen on this phone. Im at 70ish and almost 8 hours underway.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com

Im not a power user by no means but this current build posted in ath3nos thread has had the best battery life Ive ever seen on this phone. Im at 70ish and almost 8 hours underway.

That is likely with Zefie's kernel. If you go into settings -> about phone, at the bottom it'll give you the kernel version. 2.6.32.9-IHO's the VM kernel. It's worth noting that it's overclocked (I'm probably going to revert this) out of the box at 245-768mhz. Don't know how Zefie's is configured.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That is likely with Zefie's kernel. If you go into settings -> about phone, at the bottom it'll give you the kernel version. 2.6.32.9-IHO's the VM kernel. It's worth noting that it's overclocked (I'm probably going to revert this) out of the box at 245-768mhz. Don't know how Zefie's is configured.

Zefie's Xionia kernel is default @ 245/600 interactive. I think most of the battery drain is from cell radio. With airplane mode on I lose 1 percent every eight hours.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com

Zefie's Xionia kernel is default @ 245/600 interactive. I think most of the battery drain is from cell radio. With airplane mode on I lose 1 percent every eight hours.

With all the people claiming great battery life with this ROM, I'm interested in seeing how they fare with my kernel (which I will, at some point, go back to 245/600 by default and may include the smartass governor).

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

With all the people claiming great battery life with this ROM, I'm interested in seeing how they fare with my kernel (which I will, at some point, go back to 245/600 by default and may include the smartass governor).

I'm using the zefie xionia 14 kernel but I'm more than willing to try yours...just not sure where to get it. I swear I've looked lol.

nba

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

kemikalelite, can u please build and upload from the new source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty