Building your own ROM

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Life, work, etc. He is still a huge part of IHO behind the scenes! He has been busy the past month attempting to get IHO inline with CM file structure in the hopes of having the OV officially supported. He has also been working with us to investigating the radio right now, and just about every other ongoing issue (voice dialer button, headsets w/o mic, in call volume, etc).

BTW- he does read the forums from time to time, but he's just not a forum junky like the rest of us around here. ;)

something15525

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
So I've finally had time to start up on the ROM building again, and I keep running into the stupidest problem. I forked the "android" and "android_vendor_cyanogen" repos and kept the rest pointing to IHO in the default.xml.

I changed PRODUCT_RELEASE_NAME in products/cyanogen_thunderc.mk from "IHO" to "something15525" and went to go make a build....it built fine, but the finished product zip is called:

update-CM-7.2.0-RC1-thunderc_LS670-KANG-signed.zip

shouldn't it be:

update-CM-7.2.0-RC1-something15525-KANG-signed.zip?

One more thing:

When I flashed it, I went to check the mod version, and it said:

CyanogenMod-7.2.0-RC1-thunderc_LS670-KANG

Shouldn't the "thunderc_LS670" be "something15525"?

This is getting me really frustrated that I can't get past this simple problem and I was hoping someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Here's the change: https://github.com/something15525/a...mmit/e186ec8da6349b88df1f5dc4f3329530a688c7ce

Did this ever get answered?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
The OP was made by Blarf, and he doesn't participate in the forums any longer. so no we cannot change his link. :(

Hey JerryScript, just wanted to say thanks. I've noticed that you are one of those people that actually answers questions, and I for one, do appreciate that. I'm new, btw. :)

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Did this ever get answered?

I think where you need to change on yours is

https://github.com/something15525/a.../blob/gingerbread/products/common_versions.mk

Code:
line 13

CMVERSION := CyanogenMod-$(PRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR).$(PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR).$(PRODUCT_VERSION_MAINTENANCE)$(PRODUCT_VERSION_DEVICE_SPECIFIC)-$(CM_BUILD)-KANG

You should be able to manually change KANG to your name or add to the line $(PRODUCT_RELEASE_NAME)

I'm not using the latest IHO rearrangement yet, so I'm not too sure. Mine in in the cyanogen_thunderc.mk file.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I think where you need to change on yours is

https://github.com/something15525/a.../blob/gingerbread/products/common_versions.mk

Code:
line 13

CMVERSION := CyanogenMod-$(PRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR).$(PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR).$(PRODUCT_VERSION_MAINTENANCE)$(PRODUCT_VERSION_DEVICE_SPECIFIC)-$(CM_BUILD)-KANG

You should be able to manually change KANG to your name or add to the line $(PRODUCT_RELEASE_NAME)

I'm not using the latest IHO rearrangement yet, so I'm not too sure. Mine in in the cyanogen_thunderc.mk file.

Just letting you know, in your signature you need to delete the " at the end so it will go to the link. :p

dobbs69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread that has given advice. I've been following for a coulpe of weeks. (I'm a slow learner)lol And didn't think I would ever figure it out . But tonight I built my first rom following these instructions. Like "Earthfire78" said Linux mint requires some packages that ubuntu already have I guess. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks. Hope to keep following and learning!

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Every works fine for me until.

Code:
libdl (out/target/product/thunderc_VM670/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libdl_intermediates/LINKED/libdl.so)
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/libstdc++.so when searching for -lstdc++
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/libstdc++.a when searching for -lstdc++
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/mkbootfs_intermediates/mkbootfs] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey Jerry or anybody else, can you help me? It seems as if I always screw myself when doing this, and I don't want to anymore. Lol.
When I go git push, it always gives me this error:

gannon5197@icsbox:~/android/cna/device/lge/thunderc$ git push origin
Enter passphrase for key '/home/gannon5197/.ssh/id_rsa':
To git@github.com:gannon5197/android_device_lge_thunderc.git
! [rejected] ics -> ics (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git@github.com:gannon5197/android_device_lge_thunderc.git'
To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
Merge the remote changes before pushing again. See the 'Note about
fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
gannon5197@icsbox:~/android/cna/device/lge/thunderc$

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey Jerry or anybody else, can you help me? It seems as if I always screw myself when doing this, and I don't want to anymore. Lol.
When I go git push, it always gives me this error:

gannon5197@icsbox:~/android/cna/device/lge/thunderc$ git push origin
Enter passphrase for key '/home/gannon5197/.ssh/id_rsa':
To git@github.com:gannon5197/android_device_lge_thunderc.git
! [rejected] ics -> ics (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git@github.com:gannon5197/android_device_lge_thunderc.git'
To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
Merge the remote changes before pushing again. See the 'Note about
fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
gannon5197@icsbox:~/android/cna/device/lge/thunderc$

Your local and remote are out of sync. I don't know your workflow so I can't say how to avoid this in the future. However, to fix it, do this:

1. Backup the whole directory (eg. using tar) so you don't lose anything.
2. Delete your .git directory.
3. Backup the remainder (your working files) somewhere.
4. Nuke the directory.
5. Pull a fresh copy from github.
6. Checkout the ics branch.
7. Delete everything except the .git directory.
8. Restore your working directory.

Now you should be able to checkin and push.

Reactions: rukin5197

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Or use thekraven's suggestion. His will overwrite the remote history, mine will overwrite the local history. Obviously it's much easier to overwrite the remote history. :)

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind forcing the push. It will overwrite your remote commits. git push -f origin
Can there be any negative effect to forcing it? I don't want to mess anything up.
Your local and remote are out of sync. I don't know your workflow so I can't say how to avoid this in the future. However, to fix it, do this:

1. Backup the whole directory (eg. using tar) so you don't lose anything.
2. Delete your .git directory.
3. Backup the remainder (your working files) somewhere.
4. Nuke the directory.
5. Pull a fresh copy from github.
6. Checkout the ics branch.
7. Delete everything except the .git directory.
8. Restore your working directory.

Now you should be able to checkin and push.
Alright I'll get right on that. Thanks!

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
One more thing. Since I've made changes to the files inside in order for it to build correctly, should I be careful when I git pull? Like should I pull in commit by commit or just run a "git pull cna mod-4.0.4" by example?

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
One more thing. Since I've made changes to the files inside in order for it to build correctly, should I be careful when I git pull? Like should I pull in commit by commit or just run a "git pull cna mod-4.0.4" by example?

That's why I said to backup the whole thing first. So you don't lose anything.

Also, if you look at what I said to do, you'll notice that you are saving off your working files and restoring them over top of what you pull/checkout from github. What remains will be the diffs between github and your working files, which you can then commit (all at once or in multiple commits, whatever you choose) and push back to github.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I'm working a a project for people with Windows and I was testing out packages for cygwin: installed git, repo, ssh, and about a GB worth of other stuff. So just for fun I ran repo sync and end up with about 3GB more then what I got to weeks ago when I ran repo of Linux. How is that even possible?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The issue gannon is having is not committing changes locally first. You should have steps something like this:

1) Pull in changes (git pull cna cna-ics)
2) Fix merge conflicts (done manually, check the output and search listed files for <<<<<)
3) Commit merge conflicts (this step is missed by many) (git commit -a THEN git merge cna-ics)
4) Make your own local changes (done manually)
5) Commit your local changes (git commit -a)
6) Push to origin (git push origin)

You will need to follow tdm's or thekraven's advice to get back on track, then use these basic steps in the future. ;)